IGN picks Sins of the Solar Empire as PC GOTY

I really didn't care for it much, and given it being IGN, I'm fairly surprised they picked this.
I could name at least a few games released this year I think are better, but whatever. To each his own.

They said it was easily their most-played game.

I take it they played a lot of multiplayer?

They said it was easily their most-played game.

I take it they played a lot of multiplayer?

Or even just single player games on large maps. One thing that did make the game last awhile was if you wanted to actually get all of the achievements. Granted, some of the achievements could be gotten in bunches, but you'd need at minimum about 10 games to get all of them, probably many more if I went back to count which are mutually exclusive achievements.

Man I am never listening to IGN again. These guys gave Far Cry 2 an 8.9 or GREAT!!!!!

SINS is a decent game but has too many shortcomings to ever become a RTS classic. Terrible AI, bad design, bottlenecking along jump lanes ruining flowing gameplay, etc.

I personally have pretty much given up on review sites. I've bought MANY games recently that were like 8.5+ or higher out of 10, and a lot of them have been huge disappointments. It's as if these review sites are afraid to give games bad ratings... simply improving upon an already existing genre doesnt make a game good... games today are so similar because developers are afraid to step outside the lines - if they do people might not buy their games. So they'd rather keep putting out the same tripe that is only very moderately innovative/original and ultimately the same as the last 10 games before it.

Review sites FTL!

I can see it deserving the title, you just get sucked in.
you dont realize how you're only half way through a map, and hours, half a day can pass.
Ignorance of the title is no excuse, when you play it online with a friend(s) prepare to waist a day.

the game deserves on that level. But yes, Fallout 3 should have gotten it, wider appeal, more fun of sorts.

I got much more play time out of FO3. Admittedly I haven't touched the multi-player though so I may seriously be missing out. It does feel like one of those games I will go back to every few months for a day or so though.

Back