If you're considering getting Ghostbusters for PC... don't.

Stiletto

Supreme [H]ardness
You know, I should have learned my lesson with D&D: Temple of Elemental Evil. I should have learned it even more with Matrix: Path of Neo. But no, I decided to give Atari another chance to prove they don't simply publish cds filled with code randomly banged out by an infinite number of monkeys that happens to include a tutorial that will trick you into thinking your game isn't crippled.

Let's start with the good. Seriously, the game is beautiful, even at resolutions like 1680x1050. The detail on your character and their power pack is very impressive, and the ghosts are fantastic looking, as well as the streams you use to bring them down. Accordingly, the sound of your power pack is dead-on with the movie. The voice acting by the main characters is as if it was a third movie, except in the case of Bill Murray, who seems to be parodying himself playing Peter Venkman.

In addition, the general controls are tight. The system by which you catch ghosts is fundamental and makes a good deal of sense in connection with what they did in the movies. All of these things would add up to a good game, but just wait.

Now comes the bad news. First of all, and I do mean FIRST, just try to install the damn thing. The Atari forums are swamped with people asking what the hell is going on when they choose "Custom Installation", and the install either freezes, or finishes with an "install was interrupted and was not finished" dialogue at the end. So my description of the above good points is predicated upon you being able to install the damn thing. I took the advice of one person and simply copied over the remaining files from the install disc, but this is entirely unacceptable for such a big-name title. The result meant I had to make my own shortcuts, too.

Next, we get into the game, and start fiddling with the settings. I'll forgo the fact that I counted six or seven intro movies for the various companies involved with the game, which is getting out of hand. I start changing my resolution, but I can see the ever-present flicker on my CRT. 60Hz? That's not desirable. So first, I turn off the default option in the settings called "Lock 30Hz refresh rate".

30Hz? On a computer? Are you f'ing kidding? Nope, and right underneath is another option "Lock 60Hz refresh rate". I don't know about you, but I game at a bare minimum of 75Hz. I eventually tracked down a settings file hidden in my application data, but have yet to discover if there is a line I can add to set the refresh rate to something that doesn't make me queasy after 20 minutes of play. This is just sloppy code, which comes to epitomize the rest of the game.

However, I wanted to venture on. Next up? Oh, one save file. You don't have a profile, you just start the game. Well, that's great if you have two people in the same apartment who both want to play the game. Wonderful. Ugh.

Now, you finally get into the game. Oh look. No save system other than checkpoints. It just gets better and better. Well, with all I mentioned above, it can't be that bad, right?

Well, it isn't...until you get into levels with water on the floor, and the frame rate turns to a slideshow. I have an [email protected], GTX260 OC'd, 6GB of memory...and I was running at 1680x1050 with most of the settings on low. There is no reason the slowdowns that were occurring throughout should have been happening. At other times, the game is smooth as silk. This kind of wildly unstable performance absolutely ruins the game. At certain points, the slowdown is so bad, it prevents you from moving certain directions, because the movement becomes super-sensitive. The game becomes unplayable, and I even tried it at 1280x1024 with no success.

Atari, you have swindled me out of my money once again. Folks, don't make the same mistake. Maybe the console version is better.

Again, no one should be surprised:

http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/06...comment-on-lack-of-multiplayer-in-pc-ghostbu/

Multiplayer for the PC version of Ghostbusters is something that Threewave and Terminal Reality always wanted to do. However, our focus was on making the console version the best that they could be - an experience that allows multiple players to re-live and re-fight many of the themes from the movies.

When we looked at the resources necessary to pull off multiplayer on the consoles and the PC, it became a question of what could we do and still be excellent in our execution. We couldn't do all versions with multiplayer simultaneously with the resources that we had available - there was simply too much to do. Something would have to suffer. Therefore, we kept our focus on making the console versions deliver on the promise of being an integral player on the Ghostbusters team.

Another afterthought port to the PC. At least these guys are honest about it upfront, if nothing else.

Honest upfront. Lol. Yeah, after the game has shipped and all the pre-orders get screwed.

Anyways, the custom install is ridiculous, but this is how I did it. First, custom install -> fails. Second, easy install -> fails. Delete files in ghostbusters easy install directory and easy install 1 more time -> success (it will install instantly for some reason) then copy the files from the easy install dir to the custom install dir and voila.

I'm not sure whats wrong with your system and water, I use an nvidia 9600gso and core 2 processor .... I've read there are bugs with AA so you might want to disable it for this game.

Why the heck do people preorder games like this? Always, always, ALWAYS let the community have a shot at speaking their voice before investing in a game ... IMHO of cousre.

Why the heck do people preorder games like this? Always, always, ALWAYS let the community have a shot at speaking their voice before investing in a game ... IMHO of cousre.

Have you ever thought that the "community" you are referring to, is composed of those pre-orders ? Someone must buy/have the game before anyone else so that they can then share their thoughts. If everyone waited to get the "community" to say something, everyone would be either waiting forever, or simply waiting for "professional" reviewers.

Should I just rent this on the 360 instead of buying it for the PC?

I have a gift card to burn... so I could buy it for ~$5 or rent it for $10.

Anyways, it's too bad to hear your problems w/ the game. I haven't played ona CRT in a while, but IIRC you could use the referesh rate override feature in dxdiag.exe to force a higher refresh rate.

Sigh...

I was really ready to buy this game....

PC gets the shaft again, seems to be the norm anymore.

Well, it isn't...until you get into levels with water on the floor, and the frame rate turns to a slideshow. I have an [email protected], GTX260 OC'd, 6GB of memory...and I was running at 1680x1050 with most of the settings on low. There is no reason the slowdowns that were occurring throughout should have been happening. At other times, the game is smooth as silk. This kind of wildly unstable performance absolutely ruins the game. At certain points, the slowdown is so bad, it prevents you from moving certain directions, because the movement becomes super-sensitive. The game becomes unplayable, and I even tried it at 1280x1024 with no success.

I wonder if that's a driver problem. Playing @ 1680x1050 4x/8x without issues so far. (Not very far in actually, but I did pass the fisherman ghost where there is water on the floor)

The only other thing that's bugged me so far is the damn mouse sensitivity. It's more bearable once you disable Windows mouse acceleration then increase the in game setting for vertical sens, but still.....

Have to totally disagree with you Stiletto.

I love the game, performs great on my rig with zero issues. it looks good, is fun, funny and just entertaining.

I just beat the game a few minutes ago and I have to say it was $30 decently spent. The game ran flawless with my sig rig @ 1680x1050 60hz locked (no AA, I don't mind jaggies) and a wireless 360 controller.

You know, I should have learned my lesson with D&D: Temple of Elemental Evil.

I had no problems playing through that game. It was quite enjoyable. Bar none the best conversion of Dungeons and Dragons combat into a PC game. Its biggest shortcoming was a fairly short and non epic feeling campaign compared to Baldur's Gate. As you know, the game consists basically of the one humongous temple dungeon with a few small outlying towns and areas to explore. IIRC your characters max out around level 10, and advancement is rapid due to all the combat. Took me around 25 hours to beat.

Let's start with the good. Seriously, the game is beautiful, even at resolutions like 1680x1050.

What do you mean ? Ghostbusters PC looks good despite that low or high of resolution ? Do the textures look like they're PC quality ?

I've had no problems at all with the game so far. Settings maxed out at 1920x1200.

Which drivers are you using?

No problems here either. Actually just beat it. Great game for 30$.. Plus I got a free movie ticket so 20$ really.

I really would like to know what drivers the people who had no problems with Nvidia cards are using. I have an 8800GT 512MB, and an E8400, and I get very VERY wonky framerates, and I'm using the latest driver on Nvidia's site.. the spot it's the absolute worst, like the original poster said, is the water in the hotel. Then it practically becomes unplayable.

I really would like to know what drivers the people who had no problems with Nvidia cards are using. I have an 8800GT 512MB, and an E8400, and I get very VERY wonky framerates, and I'm using the latest driver on Nvidia's site.. the spot it's the absolute worst, like the original poster said, is the water in the hotel. Then it practically becomes unplayable.

i played with the 185.xx drivers.. with no issues.. 8800GT 760/1890/1015 w/phenom II 940 3.5ghz (bottom system on my sig) everything was maxed out.. i didnt bother with the AA stuff.. set the refresh rate lock to 60hz.. frame rate fluctuated between 40-60fps.. usually stayed in the 50's though.. honestly.. the game looks ugly.. i got bored with the game before i bothered to try the 2x AA to see if it makes a difference..

I've been testing that to see what the cause is and its down to CPU sadly.
I'm running an E8400 at 4.1GHz, GTX260 15% overclocked, 186.18 driver, 1080p res, settings set to max, no AA/AF
My framerates are normally locked at 60fps but in the water at the hotel it is sometimes smooth but other times it fluctuates between 18fps to 46fps.
I checked my CPU use and both cores are at 100% occupancy.
So even 4GHz+ dual core isnt enough!

Do C2 Quads fair any better? .... edit: at 1080p or 1920x1200 res
I see that clocked i7s have no problem.

Last edited:
i played with the 185.xx drivers.. with no issues.. 8800GT 760/1890/1015 w/phenom II 940 3.5ghz (bottom system on my sig) everything was maxed out.. i didnt bother with the AA stuff.. set the refresh rate lock to 60hz.. frame rate fluctuated between 40-60fps.. usually stayed in the 50's though.. honestly.. the game looks ugly.. i got bored with the game before i bothered to try the 2x AA to see if it makes a difference..

What res?

I'm using driver version 185.85, all vsync disabled, no special settings, my nvidia driver settings are set to MAX PERFORMANCE.

9600GSO 1280x1024 resolution

No slowdowns on the water in the hotel

I'm using driver version 185.85, all vsync disabled, no special settings, my nvidia driver settings are set to MAX PERFORMANCE.

9600GSO 1280x1024 resolution

No slowdowns on the water in the hotel

Thats due to the low resolution you are using as well as reduced quality from the NVidia driver.
Can you try higher res and/or with default NVidia quality settings?
It would be handy to know your CPU and its speed too.

Thats due to the low resolution you are using as well as reduced quality from the NVidia driver.

Well yeah, but I think the idea behind this all is to pinpoint which setting is royally fucking up peoples' performance. Going from 50-60fps to 5-8fps slideshow when theres water on the ground probably means something is specifically fucking shit up.

Anyways I just tried to retest, and it seems the game simply ignores any AA settings from nvidia control panel anyways. Game itself is maxed out, I'm only running a 3.5ghz pentium dual core, and I find pretty much no difference between nvidia "performance" and "quality."

edit: I enabled 2x AA via the settings.ini file and it trashed my game performance. Looking over the railing where the water is pouring over I get like 5 fps. However, running through the hallways and blasting stuff with just standing water + ghosts is pretty much fine, performance hit but very playable.

Last edited:
To set AA from the NVidia control panel, rename the exe to something that already has a profile allowing AA.
I renamed mine to ut3.exe while testing.

To set AA from the NVidia control panel, rename the exe to something that already has a profile allowing AA.
I renamed mine to ut3.exe while testing.

That did nothing, it stayed default with no AA

No slowdowns with water for me. Only thing kinda bothering me is mouse response. Keeping the aim assist on helps a bit though.

Running the 182.50's on my rig for my GTX 280.

Welp, I've tried all the drivers mentioned here, and things are still choppy :( and the water is still a massive slow downer :'(

I guess I'll just have to rent this for the 360 :(

Sure wish I hadn't wasted $30 :(

I am running at 1920x1200 with max settings using my sig rig. I did not notice any slowdowns during the water scene at the hotel. I have the 30fps sync on and it seems to stay put at 30fps the whole time.

I will play through it again and see if it ever dips.

Sigh...

I was really ready to buy this game....

PC gets the shaft again, seems to be the norm anymore.

Oh don't worry, they screwed over the PS3 version as well. By "making the console version the best it can be" they really meant just the 360. They didn't even try with the PS3. It's more akin to playing a Wii game.

I couldn't play it in my main rig ([email protected], 4870, everything set to max @ 1920x1200). It would stutter and freeze during some spots in the hotel. Uninstalled it and installed it on my gaming rig (i7 920 @3.5, 285 sli, everything set to max @ 1920x1200). So far everything is smooth with no slow downs or stutters through the hotel. Granted I haven't progressed much further but the gaming rig handled the game while my main rig had some slow downs.

Oh don't worry, they screwed over the PS3 version as well. By "making the console version the best it can be" they really meant just the 360. They didn't even try with the PS3. It's more akin to playing a Wii game.

PS3 was the lead platform according to the devs.

I'm loving it. Running 1920x1200, high everything, I think 16xAF forced is working, and I run 2xAA by adding the command to the Configuration Settings file. Game looks great. I do see frame rates in the 30's when tons of action is happening but that's still acceptable considering the detail I'm using. Only a quick frame rate dip when the Fisherman lets the water loose, otherwise its 40's or higher in that hotel section.

My only gripe is the mouse control. The games mouse accel needs to be an option in the menu instead of on all the time. I've fiddled with the sensitivities some and got the character control to an acceptable level, but it could be better.

Great game for $30. And I got the movie ticket too so bonus!! All it needs is some tweaks/bug fixes along with MP added in a patch or mod and it would rock my socks.

*Sigh.* That ONLY applied to the multiplayer. People really need to learn to pay attention to where quotes are coming from and what they apply to.

Might be CPU as the physics are specifically CPU accelerated and if you recall from some of the videos posted on [H] CPU based physics was one of the things they touted. So question now is, what kind of CPU are the people with slowdowns running? I didn't notice any slowdowns in the water level, Q6600 @ 3.3 here. A Pentium D is probably going to choke a bit on them tho, and if you noticed your CPU pegged at 100 it's a good canidate for the bottleneck.

[H]'s own video showing the physics qualities of the engine showed a quad core was where it's at. i7 even more so.

I read it on the internet, it must be true !

You're right, the creators of the game must not know what they are talking about. From that bastion of PS3 hatred: playstation universe:

http://www.psu.com/PS3-leads-the-way-for-Ghostbusters--a006207-p0.php

Speaking in an exclusive interview with PSU, Terminal Reality Executive Producer Brendan Goss explains why the PlayStation 3 was chosen as the lead development platform for Ghostbusters: The Videogame and believes that the final result on Sony’s console should be “amazing.”

The reason why Ghostbusters: The Videogame wasn’t developed earlier, he says, was because Terminal Reality were waiting for the technology to do the game justice. The PS3 was its first choice.

“Sony and the talent were adamant that before they got involved with a Ghostbusters game, the tech had to be capable of providing an authentic Ghostbusters experience, and that required graphics and physics tech,” he told PSU.

The developer also spoke about the Infernal Engine, which is used to power Ghostbusters: The Videogame, stating that Sony’s console is ideal for such technology.

“The PS3 is a more demanding system to develop on and it is what the Infernal Engine was designed to exploit from the ground up. With the multiple SPU’s it has onboard a solid multithreaded engine design can really take advantage of that and give you some amazing results.”

In addition, Goss also confirmed that there will be exclusive content for PS3 owners."

Try again?

PS3 was the lead platform according to the devs.

You're right, the creators of the game must not know what they are talking about. From that bastion of PS3 hatred: playstation universe:

http://www.psu.com/PS3-leads-the-way-for-Ghostbusters--a006207-p0.php

Speaking in an exclusive interview with PSU, Terminal Reality Executive Producer Brendan Goss explains why the PlayStation 3 was chosen as the lead development platform for Ghostbusters: The Videogame and believes that the final result on Sony’s console should be “amazing.”

The reason why Ghostbusters: The Videogame wasn’t developed earlier, he says, was because Terminal Reality were waiting for the technology to do the game justice. The PS3 was its first choice.

“Sony and the talent were adamant that before they got involved with a Ghostbusters game, the tech had to be capable of providing an authentic Ghostbusters experience, and that required graphics and physics tech,” he told PSU.

The developer also spoke about the Infernal Engine, which is used to power Ghostbusters: The Videogame, stating that Sony’s console is ideal for such technology.

“The PS3 is a more demanding system to develop on and it is what the Infernal Engine was designed to exploit from the ground up. With the multiple SPU’s it has onboard a solid multithreaded engine design can really take advantage of that and give you some amazing results.”

In addition, Goss also confirmed that there will be exclusive content for PS3 owners."

Try again?

How is it that I'm seeing a fair number of accounts out there of the 360 version of the game somehow supposedly having better graphics than the PS3 version? Is that just fanboy chatter? I haven't seen the game yet for myself.

Back