If you were shooting for your maximum OC which P4 would you use?

astolpho

Limp Gawd
I'm buiding my first PC from scratch and after copious research have arrived at a watercooling solution, PolarFlo TT blocks, DTek CSP X2 pumps, a Dtek Pro 120 Rad, and a double bay Rez. (Two cooling loop format). Yes I think I can fit that in a PC-V1200 case. (smile) I understand a little bit about Ram selection (likely corsair low latency DDR3200 2 512's) and well probably go with an Abit or Asus mobo. I've heard about these mega over clocks on 2.4 and 2.8 P4's and some what less impressive results with later model P4's. The highest OC i've heard of has been just over 4 gig's with a P4 3.0E. (stable?) I was wondering what the expert opinion was for your best bang for the buck OC over say 3.4.

many 3.0c's will do 3.4. Some go above 4Ghz, most don't. you may have a better chance with a 30-capper too. My 3.0c will clock to 3.6 stable w/no problems.

however, my 2.8c will clock to 3.7ghz on stock voltage, a 900Mhz oc is pretty good especially on Air IMO.

I may have a not-so-common 2.8c though too. It's a 30-capper also.

:EDIT: btw, if you're going to OC for performance, get a "c" series cpu, not a Prescott. For one, they are faster at the same clock for most things. The only way I think you'll see a prescott run faster than a northwood "c" is if you break 4.5Ghz with it or something. The pipeline is just too long to be of any advantage at similar clocks to a northwood. Although, the prescott may OC farther than a northwood...do some research on that one b/c I don't know.

Back