If you were going to buy the BEST 1000W+ PSU it would be...

Astral Abyss

2[H]4U
If you had to choose the BEST 1000W+ power supply, WHAT would it be and WHY?

I'm going to upgrade my PSU this Christmas in anticipation of 2 new video cards replacing my gtx460s, and I want to know what you guys think is the best power supply out there.

Considerations when making your choice:
1) Cost is not an object, BUT if I'm going to pay a lot, I want to know why.
2) Must explain facts about why it's the best, not opinions.
3) Energy efficiency is not as important as output quality.
4) Must be modular. Completely modular preferred.
5) Cannot be Enermax or Thermaltake. No exceptions.
6) I hate bling and gimmicks.
7) PSU must be quiet running @ system idle/low workload.
8) Top mounted fan preferred.

I'm hoping someone has some good options out there besides the obvious like Corsair HX1050/AX1200. I've thought about those two, but I need more options. Have fun!

You're right, I have looked at that jonnyguru review and also the [H] review. The build quality looks pretty impressive. I just simply cannot believe that it's the only good PSU out there that I should consider.

There are better PSUs than the AX1200 at different output levels, also the rival HCP 1200 is superior to the AX too.. however, unless you're receiving a couple of 6990 cards you don't need a 1KW PSU, much less a 1.2KW one ;)

There are better PSUs than the AX1200 at different output levels, also the rival HCP 1200 is superior to the AX too.. however, unless you're receiving a couple of 6990 cards you don't need a 1KW PSU, much less a 1.2KW one ;)

That's just it, I don't know what I'll be running. I have an NVSurround setup at the moment and the 460s aren't cutting it. I'll probably get whatever the latest and greatest is from ATI or Nvidia early next year, but I want my options kept open. I want to be able to slap 2 6990s in there and not even have to think about it.

I also like the idea of running my PSU under 75% load to keep it quiet and the most efficient.

Edit: Also, the HCP 1200 is a 80mm straight-through airflow setup. I'm really trying to get away from that design as it limits my case choices in the future since the design trend is for the larger 120mm+ fans mounted on top that's what most cases expect.

But two of what level cards? If you say two GPU's, two GPU's will max out at 850 watts at the very most, and 750 watts would be fine. If you say two dual GPU's, then you want the 1000 watts or above.

You can also look at the Enermax MaxRevo 1350 or Platimax 1200. Or wait for Seasonic's 1000 watt platinum.

The Antec HCP-1200 or Rosewill Lightning 1300W would be my top choices based on performance alone.

Consider the Zalman ZM1000-HP Plus 1000W. I been running it for over a year and have never heard the fan spin up at all. It has an internal heatpipe and 140mm fan. It's modular.
SPCR did a review a couple of years ago that swayed me. You may want to look there for the technical info and testing.

a 1200W PSU

Did you bother reading the topic or did you just press the reply button and wrote your crap? He said he doesn't want PSUs with an 80mm fan; for a PSU that large, an 80mm fan will be FUCKIN' LOUD above 50% load.

OP, the new Seasonic 1000W unit is perfect for you.

Yes, it's expensive, but quality doesn't come out of nowhere. It is big enough to accommodate huge power draws and is extremely efficient, thus very quiet, even at full load. Also, it's built to last - the fan is the legendary San Ace from Sanyo Denki (fans are the first thing to die in power supply - this won't die) and the platform is arguably the best in the PSU industry (given Seasonic's track record with their high-end units). If you're thinking of dropping a good amount of money on the power supply, just get the best and keep it for 10 years.

Did you bother reading the topic or did you just press the reply button and wrote your crap? He said he doesn't want PSUs with an 80mm fan; for a PSU that large, an 80mm fan will be FUCKIN' LOUD above 50% load.

OP, the new Seasonic 1000W unit is perfect for you.

Yes, it's expensive, but quality doesn't come out of nowhere. It is big enough to accommodate huge power draws and is extremely efficient, thus very quiet, even at full load. Also, it's built to last - the fan is the legendary San Ace from Sanyo Denki (fans are the first thing to die in power supply - this won't die) and the platform is arguably the best in the PSU industry (given Seasonic's track record with their high-end units). If you're thinking of dropping a good amount of money on the power supply, just get the best and keep it for 10 years.

Thanks for watching my back iconik. :)

I am quite interested in that new SeaSonic 1000W. I don't have a problem with the price. I want quality and I'm willing to pay for it. I'm hoping some good reviews pop up on it soon since it's supposed to be released shortly. It looks like it has everything I'm looking for.

c1001 - I hadn't thought of the Zalman. I'll look into it also. Thanks for the heads-up.

Zero82z - HCP-1200 has an 80mm fan that I'm trying to avoid. The Rosewill has a lot of bling on it and that kind of makes my stomach knot.

I appreciate all the responses so far. I was searching through the past month's threads before I started this one and mostly what I found were people looking to get the cheapest PSU they can get away with or else asking if this-or-that was "good enough". I don't want good enough, I want the best.

Zero82z - HCP-1200 has an 80mm fan that I'm trying to avoid.
I know, but your reason for that was case-related concerns. I'm not aware of any cases that would prevent a PSU with an 80mm fan from functioning correctly. It takes in air from the rear of the PSU, which should not be a problem. If you're concerned about noise, you shouldn't be, since the HCP-1200 is actually not any more noisy than comparable units with 120mm fans.

I know, but your reason for that was case-related concerns. I'm not aware of any cases that would prevent a PSU with an 80mm fan from functioning correctly. It takes in air from the rear of the PSU, which should not be a problem. If you're concerned about noise, you shouldn't be, since the HCP-1200 is actually not any more noisy than comparable units with 120mm fans.

Valid point. I have a 750W Silencer of that same design that I'm using currently so I know what you're saying. The other problem with the 80mm fan designs is that it limits the amount of space available for modular connections. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the HCP-1200 from a performance aspect, I'm just looking for a different setup for my next PSU.

Valid point. I have a 750W Silencer of that same design that I'm using currently so I know what you're saying. The other problem with the 80mm fan designs is that it limits the amount of space available for modular connections. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the HCP-1200 from a performance aspect, I'm just looking for a different setup for my next PSU.
Fair enough. I was just presenting the option to you.

The Antec HCP-1200 or Rosewill Lightning 1300W would be my top choices based on performance alone.

Wow a Rosewill PSU as a top choice? As you are recommending it Zero82z, I figure that's right but who would have thought?

Wow a Rosewill PSU as a top choice? As you are recommending it Zero82z, I figure that's right but who would have thought?
There are actually quite a few good Rosewill-branded units. You just have to stay away from their bottom-of-the-barrel stuff.

Yeah I was shocked too when I read the JG review of the Rosewell 1300W product. It's actually a solid unit.

Here's an example of why I like Corsair units over other brands
Video card manufacture says "it's your power supply", which it's not
I email corsair, they think it's the PSU and I don't think that anything is wrong with it at all, I have no receipt or proof of when I even got it, it's been years
Corsair responds, here's your rma number, two weeks later a brand new power supply is waiting for me when I get home.

That's customer service right there!
Rosewill does have some impressive units out there, but Corsair wins in customer service hands down.

Corsair HX1050/AX1200 .. great choices if you need that much power

There are actually quite a few good Rosewill-branded units. You just have to stay away from their bottom-of-the-barrel stuff.

Reading a bit on JonnyGuru's site, I see its a SFC (SuperFlower Corporation) based power supply so I guess it makes sense. I presume all of the Lightning series is similar design. Heh, if I needed a PSU right now I would like to get this one just to hear the flames by other posters and then reference the JonnyGuru and the Bjorn3D reviews and watch their jaws drop. :p

Kingwin
LZP-1000
LZG-1000
LZG-850

Corsair
AX1200
AX850

OCZ
ZX Series 1000W
ZX Series 850W

Silverstone
Strider Gold 1200W
Strider Gold 1000W
Strider Gold 850W

NZXT
Hale90-1000-M
Hale90-850-M

Rosewill
Lightning-1000
Lightning-850

SeaSonic
X850

Thortech
Thunderbolt 1200W
Thunderbolt 850W
Thunderbolt Plus 800W

yes...yes I did, my 1.2KW PSU has a 140mm Yate Loon that I can barely hear

OP said he wanted the "best", PSU is one area where oversizing makes sense as the components will be less stressed.

I have the Corsair and could not be more satisfied, I understand there is an even better one out now, the Antec I think.

I have a Corsair AX1200 (pretty new, <1yr old) and a 6-year old PC P&C 1KW Turbocool.

Luv both, maybe leaning that little bit more towards the PC P&C though. Very, very solid, very heavy, and very reliable.

I'd say get the Corsair and call it a day. You won't be disappointed and you can't go wrong with Corsair. Solid, reliable, and highly rated. You definitely won't regret it.

I'd say get the Corsair and call it a day. You won't be disappointed and you can't go wrong with Corsair. Solid, reliable, and highly rated. You definitely won't regret it.
How much are they paying you?

Really only three (widely available in NA) choices here:

Seasonic Platinum 1000
Antec HCP1200
Corsair AX1200

JonnyGuru measured almost 0% voltage regulation, which is absolutely fantastic; it does not get any better than almost no fluctuation in voltage at all.

Seasonic Platinum 1000W wins hands-down.

I decided on the SeaSonic Platinum 1000W. It met all the requirements I had laid out. After reading the HardOCP and jonnyguru reviews on it, I knew it was the one I wanted.

I decided on the SeaSonic Platinum 1000W. It met all the requirements I had laid out. After reading the HardOCP and jonnyguru reviews on it, I knew it was the one I wanted.

Excellent, you will not be disappointed. You'll be able to keep that PSU for at least ten years.

You'll be able to keep that PSU for at least ten years.
And how exactly do you know this? It's an excellent PSU, but there are no grounds for making statements like that about its reliability.

Back