If you want to switch from Windows to Linux but are not, why?

If you want to switch from Windows to Linux but are not, why?

• Total voters
And that is why Linux is forever stuck in it's rut. If you think for one second that my 60-year-old mother-in-law knows how to open the console, or can type more than 3 words per minute, and also types with two fingers, looking at the keyboard, will find anything to do with the console easier than just moving a mouse and clicking twice.

Most apps you can click and install.
Click on Ubuntu Software icon in dock > type "vlc" in search. Top result is VLC media player. Click 'Install' button on the right.
eHTT0qq.png

You don't have to use Terminal.
There are cases that you do, because the Ubuntu Software center does not have everything (yet APT does).
Those are few and far between, however.

The stigma that *nix (of any flavor) absolutely positively HAS to use Terminal to do anything is not true and hasn't been for awhile now. Not all distros are the same, but Ubuntu and Mint both have easier ways to install software than the Terminal.
The bonus of this is, these apps available/listed are safe to install. No more sketchy download sites that may or may not have installers that install other crap (*cough* Download.com *cough*).

We all need a little linux positivity here!

Even though I have defended Windows as a better OS (more mainstream ready OOTB) Linux does have its good points. A while back I dual booted Mint with Windows 7. I'll touch on just a few.

1) Uptime and lack of used resources. After using the OS for a few days and not restarting the system, I found when all programs were closed, the ram usage was always below 500mb. In Windows this is unheard of, even if you disable all non MS services and startup programs.

2) Software installations. For those that haven't tried Linux in a while, this is actually a bit incorrect. I can go to the Software Manager and search an item, like VLC (since it's been mentioned a handful of times), different browsers, media players etc and then click install, and it's done. In comparison, in Windows, I would need to open a browser, go to google, search for the program, go to the page for it, select my OS version, download it and then run it.

3) Updating programs. I feel this needs a separate spot. Updating programs is as easy as opening your software manager and telling it to update all apps. I am not on my machine right now, but I believe the setting is in there, and if not, it's definitely available where you initiate OS updates. This is a way better system than never knowing your installed programs have updates and if you have 40 programs installed you would need to visit 40 websites to get the updates and then quite often are expected to remove the old program to install the new one. Madness.

I would still be using it as my main OS had my Braodcom controlled wifi adapter worked. I need to be on 5ghz here as I'm away from home on a mini deployment and the 2.4 range is just deadly full.

When I get home I'll be back to Linux as it was quite enjoyable.

Last edited:
3) Updating programs. I feel this needs a separate spot. Updating programs is as easy as opening your software manager and telling it to update all apps. I am not on my machine right now, but I believe the setting is in there, and if not, it's definitely available were you initiate OS updates.

And that's what is absolutely great about Linux that Windows is sorely lagging behind on....anything you install in Linux will automatically update to the newest release with the built-in updating mechanisms (both the Ubuntu Software center and the Software Updater within Ubuntu) or you can also use Terminal (if you desire).
sudo apt update [finds the updates]
sudo apt upgrade [installs the updates]
2 commands, very simple. Updates not only the OS, but all the apps installed on the OS as well.
Typically, the GUI updaters do their work automatically and only ask you if you want to allow them to update when they find something.

Windows, you have to dig around, find exe's, run them piecemeal. It's annoying.

MS is obviously trying to remedy this and steal the idea with the Windows Store and UWP, but so far that's gone over about as well as a lead balloon.
I'm not trying to switch anyone, I'm just trying to dispel some outdated thoughts on how Linux works nowadays.

Last edited:
And that's what is absolutely great about Linux that Windows is sorely lagging behind on....anything you install in Linux will automatically update to the newest release with the built-in updating mechanisms (both the Ubuntu Software center and the Software Updater within Ubuntu) or you can also use Terminal (if you desire).
2 commands, very simple. Updates not only the OS, but all the apps installed on the OS as well.
Typically, the GUI updaters do their work automatically and only ask you if you want to allow them to update when they find something.

MS is obviously trying to remedy this and steal the idea with the Windows Store and UWP, but so far that's gone over about as well as a lead balloon.
I'm not trying to switch anyone, I'm just trying to dispel some outdated thoughts on how Linux works nowadays.

It's even more than that with updates. Linux just does it so much better. Not only do you have fine grain control of the packages but updates don't take forever. There's no rebooting. There's no hassle. If an issue does creep up it's so easy to rollback that package. No broken registry. No bullshit.

I once threw an old Arch build that hadn't been used 6 months back into my laptop. 2GB of updates for something like 263 packages. Grand total was 20 minutes to do the update. Took me longer to download than to install. Didn't even have to reboot. Good luck doing that with Windows.

That is actually completely rubbish. What you mean to say is anything built to use the software center and tie into its update capabilities will probably update automatically.

Here you are making yet another generalization. Many windows programs nowadays have features to go check for an update when they are run.

At least when I discuss with Heattlesssun his capable of accepting another's point of view and basically claiming 'yeah, cool. I get that' and moving on. He may be heavily invested in MS products, but I don't believe his necessarily biased.

Thanks! And it's not so much that I'm invested in Microsoft products, but products in general. I have spent more money directly on Microsoft products because of the Surface line and I do buy stuff in Windows Store, I wasn't going to pass up Forza Horizon 3 which is exactly my kind of racing game. And again that's what it boils down for me. There's just too many things that Windows supports that I want and like. Linux on the desktop just isn't there now and it's really not closed the gap in my opinion. I'm not saying that make Linux bad or not viable for everyone, but it can't become more viable without the kind of support for hardware and software that Windows has.

I got around to do another pretend conversion. As recommended, I got Mint 18, KDE edition, 64 bit.

Please note - once again - that I am a long time Linux user, operating via the CLI for work. And what I'm trying to do here is explain some of the issues that can sway a newcomer from finishing the switch.
Some are big things, some are mere annoyances or result of personal preference.

This time I went with the default installer which is simply a Live CD with an 'install to hard drive' shortcut. BTW - first time I'm seeing a Live CD that has the 'install' icon not on the desktop itself, but rather in the "start" equivalent menu.

I'll remind that I'm using a Vista capable craptop (320 GB spinner, T3400, 2GB RAM, GMA45), like with Debian.

First of all, the Mint website makes finding the right disc image braindead easy. You do choose the architecture, but there is no scrolling or hunting for links like on the Debian page.

The LiveCD took a solid 5-7 minutes to get to the desktop, but that's to be expected on an old laptop with an optical drive. I have seen this behavior before, and I have experienced unnatural Windows installer slowness on newer rigs.

The installation part was much quicker than Debian. The installer is flawless. It asks you right off the bat if you want Flash, Java and other 3rd party software. I chose 'no' for the time being.

While the installer is very easy to navigate, the translation to Polish was - again - only partial. Even within one window - in this case disk partitioning - "undo all changes" and some other labels were left as is.

Another oddity was the hostname the installer picked - "-satellite-L300-invalid-entry-length-0-dmi-table-is-broken-stop". Correctable.

During installation, window effects were already enabled, which in my case wasn't the right choice. The weak Intel chip onboard couldn't do effects such as power saving dimming. It did dim, but at the same time the mouse cursor froze.

After installation, you're greeted by a welcome screen. It's very well done because it once again provides shortcuts to typical stuff people know from Windows - 3rd party drivers, codecs. I chose drivers. Unlike Debian, Mint handles privileges elevation as good as Win7. It asked for my password and did its thing.
Some CPU microcode updates were found, so I applied them. This part was perfect.

I18n flaws made themselves prominent again when I ran Firefox - it was in English. Oh well.

I begain to download Google Earth again - just like in Debian. When I double clicked the downloaded deb, gdebi kicked in as it should and scanned the package. Description, size, and number of missing dependencies. However when I clicked "show me those 24 dependencies" - the popup window was blank. Nevertheless the installation proceeded normally.

The graphics part basically tanked at that point. Google Earth was acting funny - it was as choppy as in Debian, but in addition it simply didn't want to work - it found Warsaw just West of Gibraltar. I've never seen Google Earth acting up like this. Sadly, after closing it, X was done. Window effects suddenly became choppy and caused the top half of my screen to flicker. I had to reboot.

The default start page for Firefox is powered by Yahoo, so you can't really find anything.

Within KDE, some program names and descriptions were left untranslated. I kind of relate to whomever gave it a shot, because I myself did some translating for Suse a long time ago. This process is quite frustrating, because you're given a list of words and phrases, but no context. So you often times don't know which tense you should use. And it shows afterwards.

I downloaded my copier's driver, but the readme file won't open - RTF is associated with Kate, and opens garbled.

However, this time the printer installation went much better. My copier was discovered, and the vendor's control panel worked after a little bit of clicking around.

Network browsing was working, but not without hickups - for some reason PDF files won't open with the default Okular. I get access denied. But the Vista partition is accessible.

As I'm typing this, CPU usage is below 5%, memory usage is 1 Gig (Debian maxed it out after 5 minutes). The CPU fan is more aggresive than when using Windows, though.
Overall this was a night and day change when compared to Trinity+Debian. It's perfectly usable and the hand-holding has its merits. But, as you see, some little bugs do pop up.

For my own use, this is plenty. But it's a no-go for work because of poor localization.

Really? The first thing I learned to do in Linux was customize it by modifying existing DEs to meet my needs.

Yeah and your neighbors first sexual experience was with his mother. That must mean you all did the same, doesn't it?

Using an operating system should not be a chore. Windows and Mac's/iOS/Android have that overall ease of use. Linux not so much.

What exactly do you see as choreful with linux? Apart from the fact that it's unknown to you and works differently from windows.

I installed a current OS version on a laptop that's unusable by modern terms and chose to leave all drivers and 3rd party (suggested) codes uninstalled.

Oh right, I'm sorry you experienced trouble. How surprising.

What exactly do you see as choreful with linux? Apart from the fact that it's unknown to you and works differently from windows.

It's not unknown to me as I've used Linux before and keep trying it every now and then...there are literally thousands of examples of how much a chore it is out there if you use Google, drivers, apps, graphics,etc.... I've also tried to use it daily but keep going back to Windows. You know, you just don't want to admit it.

It's not unknown to me as I've used Linux before and keep trying it every now and then...there are literally thousands of examples of how much a chore it is out there if you use Google, drivers, apps, graphics,etc.... I've also tried to use it daily but keep going back to Windows. You know, you just don't want to admit it.

There are literally millions of examples of how much a chore it is out there if you use Google, drivers, apps, graphics etc. with Windows. If you give up on the first trouble, you deserve to call yourself a Windows user.

Or 'a pawn of Microsoft'.

There are literally millions of examples of how much a chore it is out there if you use Google, drivers, apps, graphics etc. with Windows. If you give up on the first trouble, you deserve to call yourself a Windows user.

That is exactly why nobody believes you Linux zealots...it's always the user and then a couple insults. What are you 12?

Sure, but there's a LOT more people using Windows on the desktop. If the number of Windows and Linux desktop were approximately the same you have a lot more people with Linux issues. Windows certainly has its problems but so does Linux.

That is exactly why nobody believes you Linux zealots...it's always the user and then a couple insults. What are you 12?

This debate is decades old now. The problem with using desktop Linux is its 3rd party support, its simply not nearly as good as Windows because of the huge market share difference on the desktop. That's just how it is until there's a whole lot more Linux desktop users.

This debate is decades old now. The problem with using desktop Linux is its 3rd party support, its simply not nearly as good as Windows because of the huge market share difference on the desktop. That's just how it is until there's a whole lot more Linux desktop users.

And the 3rd party support will never become better if more people will just blindly follow Microsoft and continue to pay for being spied lol.

That's true, manufacturers don't go out of their way to write Linux drivers because they don't make an money at it. Funds for testing every type of hardware are limited because it's a free OS, and the Linux kernel team often have to reverse-engineer drivers.

Regardless, I've installed Linux Mint on a dozen new Skylake machines, including mine, and they all worked fine. But it's not like decades ago, there are now many more devices running Linux & derivatives than Windows.

It's not so much Linux zealots, it's more just B00nie himself. He is just like that. He isn't even much of an experienced Linux user, he just likes the newest bling and tries to tout it as much as possible.

It's not so much Linux zealots, it's more just B00nie himself. He is just like that. He isn't even much of an experienced Linux user, he just likes the newest bling and tries to tout it as much as possible.

If I'd have known that I would have ignored his childish rants...makes sense that he may have mental issues I guess?

And the 3rd party support will never become better if more people will just blindly follow Microsoft and continue to pay for being spied lol.

People are going to use what works for them until something better comes along. Desktop Linux simply hasn't made the case well enough that it's clearly superior to Windows. Even in the case you mention about "spying", there's a lot of functionality attached to the leveraging of data that adds features to Windows that have been popular in mobile.

If I'd have known that I would have ignored his childish rants...makes sense that he may have mental issues I guess?

Don't know anything about that, I just know that he typically trumps up whatever he currently uses and then goes on rants and raves about how terrible everything else is.

Although I do find Linux zealots pretty funny, same as Windows zealots or Mac zealots. I've used all kinds of systems, there are always advantages/disadvantages to each and rarely are there systems that simple better overall than others.

Don't know anything about that, I just know that he typically trumps up whatever he currently uses and then goes on rants and raves about how terrible everything else is.

Although I do find Linux zealots pretty funny, same as Windows zealots or Mac zealots. I've used all kinds of systems, there are always advantages/disadvantages to each and rarely are there systems that simple better overall than others.

Same here as far as OS's go. Unfortunately when someone quotes me I always assume they want to have an adult conversation. I could do without the rest. :)

In my experience the setup of Linux was a bit annoying, but once it was set up and drivers installed and my few scripts made for my mouse, it's actually no different than windows. So while I don't think any random person out there could download and install it (I don't trust them to install windows either) and set it up themselves, I believe they could easily use it had it been setup for them in advance.

With no emoticon I'm not too sure how I'm supposed to take this comment..? I'd like to believe it was posted in a jokingly, mature fashion.

That is actually completely rubbish. What you mean to say is anything built to use the software center and tie into its update capabilities will probably update automatically.

No, all software installed via apt or the software centre (which is apt) will update automatically along with system updates. Unlike the Windows 10 auto update debacle with drivers and the like, the Linux updater is one of the strengths of the OS - It works efficiently and flawlessly.

Thanks! And it's not so much that I'm invested in Microsoft products, but products in general. I have spent more money directly on Microsoft products because of the Surface line and I do buy stuff in Windows Store, I wasn't going to pass up Forza Horizon 3 which is exactly my kind of racing game. And again that's what it boils down for me. There's just too many things that Windows supports that I want and like. Linux on the desktop just isn't there now and it's really not closed the gap in my opinion. I'm not saying that make Linux bad or not viable for everyone, but it can't become more viable without the kind of support for hardware and software that Windows has.

I say it as I see it my friend, I've got nothing against anyone here just because they choose to use Windows.

I've got a little 14" Compaq Presario CQ42 that I've tweaked by installing an SSD, more ram and a better processor. I've run a number of distro's on it now and everything works perfectly straight out of the box. Even the Broadcom WiFi works great and sleep mode when closing the lid is flawless.

I take it with me to call outs every day, it does everything I need and then some.

Have you told the media that Windows 10 doesn't spy on users? A simple news search seems to indicate they either don't know or don't agree.

I know very well what Windows 10 collects and leverages a lot of data as it's the only way certain features in it could possibly work. I'm not defending this but it seems to be what the majority of consumers want today with computing devices. Windows 10 and it's use of data wasn't created a world that wasn't dong these things already and to great success.

Did you think the NSA metadata collection program was spying? How do you account for the sheer number of articles and stories that associate Windows 10 with spying? One would think Microsoft would have a large libel suit they could pursue. If you're aware that someone is spying on you and know the information they're gathering, are they no longer spying?

I can't speak for "consumers" and "a world." I'm impressed that you can and am surprised you are ok with mass stereotyping and prejudging.

they are only taking data with no way to stop it (outside a firewall blocking specific ports which 99% of the population doesn't know how to do) and not even letting you see the data. It's all "well this is what we're taking." OK...prove it. By definition one could argue they are spying. In the end I do think it has been a tad overblown but MS has brought it on themselves. All they needed was a simple ON/OFF switch and none of this happens.

Until the day comes when I can either turn off telemetry or MS lets you see the data and the user gets to hit send or stop Windows will never touch another PC in my house.

I understand the argument about Google and others do the same except on my Android device I don't have to use Google is don't want to. It's also my decision to let Google have my data. MS has taken that decision out of my hands which is bullshit. Yes I let Google take my data. That doesn't mean I want MS to have it too.

I could almost accept the information gathering undertaken by MS with Windows 10 if they continued to release their OS free of charge like OSX, but as it stands ATM, I'm not too sure if anyone knows just how Microsoft is going to sell their OS to the masses after Windows 10?

Apple can do it as they sell overpriced hardware, not too sure what MS plans on doing...

I feel this post represents some interesting points however, it misses some key issues.
1) Uptime and lack of used resources. After using the OS for a few days and not restarting the system, I found when all programs were closed, the ram usage was always below 500mb. In Windows this is unheard of, even if you disable all non MS services and startup programs.
It is an often completely misunderstood concept but RAM is there so that you should use it. Low RAM usage is NOT a good feature of an OS, the RAM is consuming power no matter what. Now if you argue that version X of windows cannot run well on some low amount of RAM then that may be fair. But for a very long time now windows has run very well on any reasonable amount of RAM, heck, smart phones are starting to ship with more than enough RAM to run windows well. A good OS uses as much RAM as it can to speed up every task it can and keep it as snappy as butter without causing a downside. The problem with windows Vista was the precaching was so aggressive and at the time most people had much slower hard drives it was slowing the OS down at startup. By the time MS gets to windows 7 they have done a much better job and things have only improved since then. 500 mb ram usage is great except that you can hardly find a stick of RAM less than 4Gb now days. Good RAM usage dictates its used, but then when more RAM is required by programs it is freed up from other places. Windows seems to have a very acceptable balance on that front from all my experiences.

2) Software installations. For those that haven't tried Linux in a while, this is actually a bit incorrect. I can go to the Software Manager and search an item, like VLC (since it's been mentioned a handful of times), different browsers, media players etc and then click install, and it's done. In comparison, in Windows, I would need to open a browser, go to google, search for the program, go to the page for it, select my OS version, download it and then run it.
It is perfectly fine and fair to say that many Linux distros will get you up and running with the core software an average user needs. 1 click installs. Good! The problem gets to be alot of people are only going to foray into Linux when they need a less than common piece of software and these ones can be a mess. However, I do agree many Linux nay sayers over blow this issue in Linux. Largely because alot of it was fixed by software stores like the software center.

3) Updating programs. I feel this needs a separate spot. Updating programs is as easy as opening your software manager and telling it to update all apps. I am not on my machine right now, but I believe the setting is in there, and if not, it's definitely available where you initiate OS updates. This is a way better system than never knowing your installed programs have updates and if you have 40 programs installed you would need to visit 40 websites to get the updates and then quite often are expected to remove the old program to install the new one. Madness.

Yes Linux is great here, but wait the story isn't that simple. You see isn't the Windows store essentially the EXACT same thing? Yes actually it is. So here is the kicker why are so many windows users trying to get rid of the store and claiming its a reason to go back to windows 7? Why are Linux and Mac fanbois constantly knocking the windows store? Go look at threads where people like heatlesssun tried to defend the store in the past and see how people like boonie went on to attack him / it. MS has absolutely realized this is a problem for a very long time now but for a bunch of screwed up psychological reasons people have been heavily against it and impeded its progress.

I'll be honest, I have very little experience with the windows store. I tried it a bit in Windows 8.1 on my tablet, but beyond that I haven't used it.

I get the feeling the store has changed quite a bit since then.

Yes Linux is great here, but wait the story isn't that simple. You see isn't the Windows store essentially the EXACT same thing? Yes actually it is. So here is the kicker why are so many windows users trying to get rid of the store and claiming its a reason to go back to windows 7? Why are Linux and Mac fanbois constantly knocking the windows store? Go look at threads where people like heatlesssun tried to defend the store in the past and see how people like boonie went on to attack him / it. MS has absolutely realized this is a problem for a very long time now but for a bunch of screwed up psychological reasons people have been heavily against it and impeded its progress.

Honestly, I don't believe the fact that software downloaded off the Windows store automatically updates is the same thing...

To put it into perspective, games downloaded off Steam also automatically update under Windows, but it isn't the OS performing the updating, it's Steam running in the background performing the updating.

When it comes to Linux, you add the PPA when downloading and installing software via apt, it's the OS tracking and performing the updating, not a third party software package or even an additional Windows package such as the Windows Store. It's the same with OSX, it's an additional software package running in the background called the App Store performing the updating. Sure, at the end of the day the Windows Store is essentially attempting to do the same thing as software updating under Linux, but the implementation is a little messy.

Then you've got Windows trying to perform automatic driver updating, which usually results in more harm than good.

Last edited:
It is perfectly fine and fair to say that many Linux distros will get you up and running with the core software an average user needs. 1 click installs. Good! The problem gets to be alot of people are only going to foray into Linux when they need a less than common piece of software and these ones can be a mess. However, I do agree many Linux nay sayers over blow this issue in Linux. Largely because alot of it was fixed by software stores like the software center.

Unless you have to compile code to install software, which almost never happens anymore, why is installing software by copying and pasting commands into the terminal via apt in any way a potential mess?

Unless you have to compile code to install software, which almost never happens anymore, why is installing software by copying and pasting commands into the terminal via apt in any way a potential mess?
Because you're copying and pasting commands into a terminal window.

I've been wanting to try Inkscape for quite some time, rather than download it from the Ubuntu Software Centre I decided to download it from launchpad so I could get the latest stable version. While I was at it I fired up Kazam, which is an awesome bit of capture software, to take a recording of the process for those confused about the process of using apt to download and install software.

Bear in mind that Launchpad assumes you have the necessary skill to type 'sudo apt install inkscape' so they don't provide the necessary text to copy/paste into the terminal. In every other instance there will be all three commands provided to copy/paste into the terminal, the commands can also be linked to run one after the other very simply by adding && between commands allowing for less copy/pasting.

As always, I'm only too happy to discuss openly the operation of Linux and try to clarify some of the tasks Windows users interested in transitioning may find daunting, however I'm not at all interested in defending myself against fanboi's hell bent on starting an argument. Reply in an open friendly manner, or understand that you are doing nothing to add to the discussion and I'll have no problem stating that I'm in no way interested in anything you have to say.

Sorry about the delay exiting the terminal, I've got a Windows 10 laptop here that's boot looping as a result of a failed Windows AU update and a problem with a Norton Utilities driver and I'm hacking around in the CMD prompt while making the video....

Last edited:

Well it's true I've been using linux for only about 6 years. I have however managed to migrate several people from windows to full time linux users. How many have you?

No, all software installed via apt or the software centre (which is apt) will update automatically along with system updates. Unlike the Windows 10 auto update debacle with drivers and the like, the Linux updater is one of the strengths of the OS - It works efficiently and flawlessly.

How is that a No? The software center uses Aptitude. Only software designed for aptitude and accepted by debian will work with aptitude. Any software that has not yet been accepted by Debian, will not work with aptitude and will not auto update.

Back