• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

If you run a 69xx xfire setup --> get in here!

inglewood78

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 25, 2004
Messages
1,465
I've been salivating over the performance and overclocking headroom of the 7970 cards but am still a little gun-shy over AMDs Xfire driver support. Prior to my 570s, I ran a 5970 and had constant issues with immature drivers with new releases. My experience with SLi has been frankly quite the opposite. Everything seems to work right the first time.

So my question is to all the current 69xx users.

Any issues with xfire drivers and does your experience make you think twice about running 7970s in xfire. Running a single 7970 is not a option for me since my goal is to run BF3 in ultra across 3 montiors.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
 
Yes to be honest there are driver issues. Their crossfire game support is not as good as nvidia's. They have had lackluster support recently. They have their months where they are good, and then months when they are lagging. They seemed to shit the bed specifically leading up to this holliday season. They had lackluster support for several key titles and many were pretty dissapointed. Me included.

Otherwise I can say that with these cards over the last year I was very happy with the support. If nvidia had better prices and more vram at a reasonable value I would have bought those but the value made the extra 2 weeks wait for a crossfire profile something I was willing to tollerate.

If I paid top dollar for my shit I would have been super pissed at AMD to be honest. So it depends on your personality and what your unique preferences are.
 
I dont have any issues with 6970 CF with single monitor.
I play BF3 mostly.
portal2, crysis2, deus X HR all ran awesome for me recently.
 
I've been salivating over the performance and overclocking headroom of the 7970 cards but am still a little gun-shy over AMDs Xfire driver support. Prior to my 570s, I ran a 5970 and had constant issues with immature drivers with new releases. My experience with SLi has been frankly quite the opposite. Everything seems to work right the first time.

So my question is to all the current 69xx users.

Any issues with xfire drivers and does your experience make you think twice about running 7970s in xfire. Running a single 7970 is not a option for me since my goal is to run BF3 in ultra across 3 montiors.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Yeah. There are issues. Skyrim sucked salty balls when I first played it and, after 20 minutes of WTF?!?! I stopped playing it. I'll try again in a few patches.

I can't Raid in Rift on Ultra Quality with everything turned up all the way at 2560x1600. I have to drop down to "High", lol.

When I ran Eyefinity on three Dell 24" in portrait mode, I got tired of losing track of my mouse cursor because there was so much screen area to look at (lol) so I downsized to a 30" at 2560x1600 versus the 3600x1920. Totally a personal preference...I'm happier with a 30"

In Eyefinity, you will probably have to manually edit the config files on a few games to get your FOV set right or your desired resolution (I had to do it with the Fallout Games and Oblivion) but that is actually as easy as editing a text file...no biggie.

Other than that, I have no problems. Driver installations have always been easy, even when installing the new ones over the old ones. MSI Afterburner lets me run my fans at 24% when at the windows desktop so they're silent, but ramps them up when the temps rise.

I've been very pleased with AMD cards, having used the following cards:

4870 (two in Xfire)
4870X2
5870
6970 (Two in Xfire)

I felt the 5870 was somewhat subpar...but I hear it was popular with bitcoin people.

I'll be buying a pair of Water-cooled Sapphire 7970s at 1300MHz when they're released and, hopefully, my experience with the Sapphire brand will go better the second time around. (First card was DOA)
 
If your going to eyefinity good luck... stick with the crossfire (2) though I dont think trifire is worth the hassle..

I run tri-fire flashed 6950's (toxics) and three dell 2007wfps' I have had so many issues to resolve that sometimes I just play on a single 20" (like right now with BF3).

You just have to play the game some days, and I will deal with it since when it does work... gawd is it glorious.
 
Have run both a 590 and a 6990 in my rig recently, and I felt like with the 590 that even though it was slower in some games, it was "smoother" - which may be entirely subjective, but that was my seat of the pants observation. Very disappointed with AMD drivers for Batman, and I was glad that I was running the 590 when both BF3 and Skyrim first came out. If I had been running the AMD setup through all 3 of those games, I would have felt like I wasted my money.

I could not get tri or quad fire working in bf3, but I think 2x7970s should be good if you are aiming for 1920x1080 or 1200.
 
Thanks for all the replies.

Gawd, I'm going to be pissed if I spend $1100 on videocards and have to deal with bad drivers..../sob /crosses fingers /prays to the driver gods...
 
Any issues with xfire drivers and does your experience make you think twice about running 7970s in xfire.

Yes. I'm dumping my 2x 6950 setup for a single 7970. Eyefinity and Crossfire don't play well on a number of games (don't know if BF3 has an issue, though), so I'm done messing with it.
 
Last edited:
I was running a dual 6970 but now I'll be selling it off and starting off fresh with z68 system @5ghz and this new 7970, come on Jan 9th!
 
Yes to be honest there are driver issues. Their crossfire game support is not as good as nvidia's. They have had lackluster support recently. They have their months where they are good, and then months when they are lagging. They seemed to shit the bed specifically leading up to this holliday season. They had lackluster support for several key titles and many were pretty dissapointed. Me included.

Otherwise I can say that with these cards over the last year I was very happy with the support. If nvidia had better prices and more vram at a reasonable value I would have bought those but the value made the extra 2 weeks wait for a crossfire profile something I was willing to tollerate.

If I paid top dollar for my shit I would have been super pissed at AMD to be honest. So it depends on your personality and what your unique preferences are.
You summed up my user experience pretty much exactly with 2x 6970's. I bought one at release, another one about 5 months ago just before the 'lets bring out the crappy support' era hit with quite a few of the newer titles. I guess that kind of taints my view of AMD right now, but I don't think I'm the only person that is going to wait to see when all the cards are on the table.
 
Yes. I'm dumping my 2x 6950 setup for a single 7970. Eyefinity and Crossfire don't play well on a number of games (don't know if BF3 has an issue, though), so I'm done messing with it.

THANKS FOR QUOTING ME FOR THINGS I DID NOT SAY :rolleyes:

WHAT IS THIS SHIT...
 
THANKS FOR QUOTING ME FOR THINGS I DID NOT SAY :rolleyes:

WHAT IS THIS SHIT...

Wow, settle down, spaz. I quoted the OP but apparently got your name in there by mistake. Jeebus, overreact much?
 
I'm running 3 6970s in tri-fire and I'm replacing them with 3 7970s if that tells you how I feel about these cards.
 
I've been salivating over the performance and overclocking headroom of the 7970 cards but am still a little gun-shy over AMDs Xfire driver support. Prior to my 570s, I ran a 5970 and had constant issues with immature drivers with new releases. My experience with SLi has been frankly quite the opposite. Everything seems to work right the first time.

So my question is to all the current 69xx users.

Any issues with xfire drivers and does your experience make you think twice about running 7970s in xfire. Running a single 7970 is not a option for me since my goal is to run BF3 in ultra across 3 montiors.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I'm running 6990+6970 and play across 3 1920X1080 and I'm at Ultra and get between 60-100. Most of the time its between 60-70. The newer B2K maps though for some reason are running about 10 fps less... But to answer ur question everything runs butter smooth and I couldn't be happier.... I plan on getting 2 7970's as soon as I can find a 2 cards that can run at 1337 ....
 
No problems with flashed 6950's and drivers up to 11.11. But I dont buy games at initial release, I wait for the price to drop. Any problems are usually fixed by then. Tried 12.1 drivers, they broke my calibration software.
 
Back
Top