If you overclock the 9800...

Its2Hot

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 14, 2003
Messages
75
from stock speeds to lets say around 420/370, how many fps increase will you get on average in any game?
 
Not a lot. Depends what Res you're using, and what game. Depends if the game is GPU, or CPU dependent, stuff like that.

You'll probably gain a 1-10 FPS.
 
there's hardly a difference that i see. only a few games will max out my 9800 pro i have now. OC'ing it to around the speeds you listed, it just keeps it from bottoming out in certain parts of games.
 
Originally posted by Its2Hot
from stock speeds to lets say around 420/370, how many fps increase will you get on average in any game?

I overclocked my radeon 9800 to pro specs and I got 100 constant before I overclocked it (in counterstrike) so thats a big 0fps increase!
 
hahah tahts because 100fps is the highest CS will display, i hope you know that
 
lol i know, but type developer 1 in console and that won't be true. But developer 1 is illegal in CAL (cyber athlete league)
 
Unless you're maxing out your card in a game or benchmarking and want better numbers, I don't think you'd notice in a difference to the naked eye
 
Originally posted by MemoryInAGarden
Unless you're maxing out your card in a game or benchmarking and want better numbers, I don't think you'd notice in a difference to the naked eye

unless the card is dropping below 30fps in some games, and the oc manages to push it up enough that it doesn't do that anymore
 
Somr ppl got higher than 100fps...like 150...I dunno how they did dat...

however I have a question too for ATI Radeon 9600XT, if I overclock core from 500 -> 525, and memory from 600 -> 642
how much fps will I increase?
 
Originally posted by Imp
Somr ppl got higher than 100fps...like 150...I dunno how they did dat...

however I have a question too for ATI Radeon 9600XT, if I overclock core from 500 -> 525, and memory from 600 -> 642
how much fps will I increase?

varies by game and settings and resolution and cpu and other system specific variables

in other words, it is impossible to know for sure, don't ask

therefore, my advice, is to just overclock it and find out for yourself
 
If you can OC it without any disadvantages, then what is the problem? Go for it, you will see an improvement, especially since it is free.
 
Originally posted by killernoodle
If you can OC it without any disadvantages, then what is the problem? Go for it, you will see an improvement, especially since it is free.

disadvantages:

1. Higher heat

2. Lower lifespan (depending on how high you OC, it can get as short as 6months)

3. Voided warranty (with the exception of overdrive with the 9600XT/9800XT)
 
Back
Top