If you had to buy today, Biostar TForce or go with a 6150 based

If you had to buy today, Biostar TForce6100 or a 6150-based board?

• Biostar TForce6100!

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • 6150-Board!

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Neither, both suck!

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

W6FO

Gawd
If you had to buy a MicroATX board today and didn't care about onboard video or sound as you will be using seperate cards for both, would you buy the tried and true favorite Biostar TForce 6100 board or spend a few more $$ and go with one of the new 6150 based boards that have just been released?

only reaon to go 6150 is firewire, you have more than a 5.1 speaker setup, and you need more than two sata ports...

Dillusion said:
only reaon to go 6150 is firewire, you have more than a 5.1 speaker setup, and you need more than two sata ports...

or perhaps DVI and Component outs?

also you don't need 5.1 or more speakers to benefit from HD audio. My headphones reap the benefits of HD Audio just fine.

agentzero: How is your new MSI 6150 board working out, I saw in another thread that you just got one recently?

Thanks

- JT

have the tforce, love it, the 6150 boards that are out now blow and/or are made by companies like msi.

I'd take the TForce, just to see how it overclocks. I'm going to add a gfx card and a sound card to any of my builds anyway, so onboard stuff doesn't matter to me much.

ive heard the tforce actually overclocks decently.....

I have built about 15 computers with the biostar Tforce 6100 M7 board without any problems.

W6FO said:
If you had to buy a MicroATX board today and didn't care about onboard video or sound as you will be using seperate cards for both, would you buy the tried and true favorite Biostar TForce 6100 board or spend a few more $$ and go with one of the new 6150 based boards that have just been released?

You pretty much eliminated the Biostar as a choice right off the bat.
PCIe x1 slot is off to one end, (some other brands put x1 slot between PCIe x16 and PCI), so any video card with a cooler will occupy one of the two PCI slots, leaving only one PCI slot for a sound card. Then, no slots left. Where is tuner card going to go? How about HDTV OTA card? Many must have mATX with two available slots "after" audio and video.

RobsTV said:
Where is tuner card going to go?
TV Tuner isn't the reason I am going SFF. I could care less about TV as I probably watch less than 8 hours/week. I like SFF because I like the keep things small. Many of the SFF cubes of today remind me of my first SFF Unix bawx - Sun Sparc IPX. That was, and still is in some respects, a great machine... still smaller today than many of the SFF cubes.

I just purchased the MSI 6150 board. For the most part it appears to be a great board. It will do fine in any stock system and should overclock well for the mild overclocker. I can't recommend it to a hardcore overclocker, especially in a SFF environment, however.

However, I've had it less than a day and currently only using it with LiveCD's and still waiting on a HD to arrive to fully put it through it's paces.

- JT

Better overclocker or pay more money for features I will never use... What to do... ;)

Oh well, if you don't overclock, it really doesn't matter what you get as long as it's small.

...but why would anyone not overclock? :cool:

Sleepeeg: The MSI can overclock, it just not an extreme overclocking board like the DFI "EXPERT" and I don't think any microATX board will be either. The Biostar Tforce isn't an awesome overclocker and I think once we start playing with these 6150 boards a bit, we will find that the MSI, and possibly the Foxconn as well, isn't far behind the Biostar in terms of OC'in capabilities in a microATX form factor.

If I can get 400 to 500 MHz OC out of my 6150 board + a 3200+ Venice, I'll be happy and it should be doable based on the settings I've seen.

- JT

The overclocking performance difference is relative, but without VCORE adjustments and HT only available to 250fsb, that is really going to hamper any overclocking. So no, the MSI boards will never compare to the Foxconn or Biostar until a bios or utility allows you to go beyond that. If a chip can pull 400-500 on stock volts, that would be nice, but 700-800 will always be nicer. ;) It's up to you if the features are worth the tradeoff in performance, but it's starting to look like you can get the best of both worlds with the Foxconn.

Tforce 6100, and to solve the firewire, HD audio, and HD video. I'll get a new soundcard and a Geforce7800GT. A Tv tuner would be nice too, to turn my comp into my tv too. Prob solved.

Plus nothing OC's better then a Tforce in its class. No 6100 or 6150 can compete with it if you know how to OC it like this. The diff between a 6150 and a Tforce are minimal. Not enough to be worth the consern. Onboard video is soo good you'll need a 6800 or 7800 to see a big diff. Onboard audio, well I would like to see you tell the diff from HD with it. If your speakers suck its a prob with your speakers or drivers. The sound on this is great. Biostar also put in about 50% the stuff a 6150 is sipose to have in their chipset. 6100's arn't sipose to have pure video, Raid 5/0/1/0+1 and their was one other, ability to run ActiveArmor, and such things but a Tforce6100 can. A foxconn can NOT compete with this board... well maybe, in its dreams. >D

Love my Tforce!

Back