If you had a choice between...?

MISMCSA

2[H]4U
If you had a choice between using AVG or Norton antivirus solutions, what would you choose?

Norton is free for me, so cost is not an optoin. I just want the one that will work the best at stopping the bad guys.

Thanks

Norton works, and AVG has a spotty performance record.
Norton is major bloat, and AVG is lean.

Ice Czar questioned my use of AVG on my Win98 rig, but I felt that my choices were limited because Nod32 won't run on 98, and my stripped down rig has lots of other protection. However, my first choice for an XP rig would be Nod 32. In any event, AVG sometimes passes for Win98, but sometimes not. It doesn't fare well with XP most of the time, but Norton does. I wouldn't use AVG for XP and 2000. It simply isn't good enough. On the other hand, I hate bloat. Norton = bloat. Catch 22.

Thanks for the info. Bloat does suck. I do love the simplicity of AVG. I used it for the last 5 months and had a couple trojans that were detected and taken care of. Norton probaly has the larger library however.

Now, I am not a fan of Norton. I prefer Kaspersky, but let's see, a choice between a well respect app that has passed almost every industry standard AV test or AVG which until the last 12 monthes has had one of the worst records, if not the worst record of any AV. They didn't pass the VB 100% test in Windows until June of 2003. That last past before that, the only pass, was in DOS in Feb of 2000.

AVG VB Record

Norton VB Record

Hhmm, that is a tuff choice.

AVG passes now, and that's what counts. Notron didn't have bloat then, but it does now, and that's what counts. Catch 22.

I'm not a big fan of either of them.

EDIT: I stand corrected about Win98 and Nod32. Somehow I got it in my head that Nod32 no longer has a Win98 version. I was wrong, so my 98 rig gets Nod32.

Norton all the way baby YEAH!!! :eek: There's a reaon that Norton is the popular...cause it works...sure it doesn't protect you from EVERYTHING...nothing can do that...you can use it in conjunction with OTHER progs and you're even more safe...I use Norton 2004 Anti-Virus Pro and Ad-Aware 6.0 Pro...I also have HiJack This and Search & Destroy if I need them

My friend has Norton 2002 and just updates his subscription. It protects just as well as 2004 and there is very litle bloat in the 2002 version.

Back