If you found a gem of a monitor resurface for a fraction of its cost...

I ordered two and only received one. We have to wait until Monday (maybe longer) :-/.

For those that have received your monitor, do you have any problems?

Hmm, guess I might as well call and see if they can't change shipping from FedEx to USPS before it ships to me.

For the Canadians who ordered, their supplier does not ship to Canada. Therefore the supplier ships it to the company in Calif then send it to Canada via Fedex. Lets pray they wont fuck us over with the brokerage fees. I got lucky an paid 46$ shipping for all 4 (selected USPS).

At least I know my 4 screens are on the way :):):)

As for the person complaining with the high pitch noise in standby, it's normal. I've already had 3 20WMGX2s and they all made that noise. RMAd my first one for that too.

A quick note to the new owners, make sure the screen has room to breath, especially the top. The PSU is built in and does get hot. This is one of the cause of stains on the screen.

For the Canadians who ordered, their supplier does not ship to Canada. Therefore the supplier ships it to the company in Calif then send it to Canada via Fedex. Lets pray they wont fuck us over with the brokerage fees. I got lucky an paid 46$ shipping for all 4 (selected USPS).

At least I know my 4 screens are on the way :):):)

As for the person complaining with the high pitch noise in standby, it's normal. I've already had 3 20WMGX2s and they all made that noise. RMAd my first one for that too.

A quick note to the new owners, make sure the screen has room to breath, especially the top. The PSU is built in and does get hot. This is one of the cause of stains on the screen.

Out of curiosity to the screen gluttons, why more than 2 screens? Four ?!?!?

If you want a jumbo display is not just going with a full fledged tv a better option? multiple computers? I suppose that could be it.

I haven't heard the high pitched noise in standby mode; however, I did notice that the top of the monitor does heat up after being on for awhile. I'm glad to know that is normal.
All is still well with the one that I received a couple weeks ago in like new condition. Crysis looks beautiful on it

This monitor is also available from Directron:
http://www.directron.com/re20wmgx2bk.html

With the following note:
Limited Warranty: One Year from invoice date with manufacturer. No returns. DOA and defective units are to be returned to the manufacturer for repair or replacement.

My etech4sale delivery should arrive tomorrow, but Directron looks like a more reliable seller.

This monitor is also available from Directron:
http://www.directron.com/re20wmgx2bk.html

With the following note:
Limited Warranty: One Year from invoice date with manufacturer. No returns. DOA and defective units are to be returned to the manufacturer for repair or replacement.

My etech4sale delivery should arrive tomorrow, but Directron looks like a more reliable seller.

nice find. i always have had great experiences with directron.

What is remote for ?
Does it have TV Tunner ?
Is it ATSC Tunner ?

No ATSC, but it does have an NTSC tuner. It also has composite, svideo, and component hookups.

New here, but figured I should add my two cents since some people seem to still be looking for info....

I received this monitor a few days ago from etech4sale. Can't say I'm pleased... there's quite a bit of dust trapped underneath the glossy panel. Depending on the angle it's more or less visible, and there's one or two nasty clumps that are about the size of 4+ pixels. With the way it is, if I move my head from right to left, it's like little specks will just pop in and out of existence. Plus, there's one dead pixel.. although it might be a particuarily stubborn bit of dust. On top of that, I didn't receive the cover, nor the remote. Just as a note, the remote can be ordered from NEC's parts line as a seperate unit.

The image retention is also pretty bad... although I understand that may just be a flaw of this panel. But, at least to me it seems pretty severe. On the plus side, the color/response is far superior to my old VX2025wm, and the viewing angles are terrific.

I'm waiting on NEC for my RMA claim; from what a rep said, even for a refurb unit, there shouldn't be any dust. I found it pretty ironic that seemed to be the more severe issue than the LCD retention, but I guess if the rentention is a pre-existing condition, that makes sense. Guess I'm the third purchaser here to get an unsatisfactory panel. Hope the rest of you all have better luck.

New here, but figured I should add my two cents since some people seem to still be looking for info....

I received this monitor a few days ago from etech4sale. Can't say I'm pleased... there's quite a bit of dust trapped underneath the glossy panel. Depending on the angle it's more or less visible, and there's one or two nasty clumps that are about the size of 4+ pixels. With the way it is, if I move my head from right to left, it's like little specks will just pop in and out of existence. Plus, there's one dead pixel.. although it might be a particuarily stubborn bit of dust. On top of that, I didn't receive the cover, nor the remote. Just as a note, the remote can be ordered from NEC's parts line as a seperate unit.

The image retention is also pretty bad... although I understand that may just be a flaw of this panel. But, at least to me it seems pretty severe. On the plus side, the color/response is far superior to my old VX2025wm, and the viewing angles are terrific.

I'm waiting on NEC for my RMA claim; from what a rep said, even for a refurb unit, there shouldn't be any dust. I found it pretty ironic that seemed to be the more severe issue than the LCD retention, but I guess if the rentention is a pre-existing condition, that makes sense. Guess I'm the third purchaser here to get an unsatisfactory panel. Hope the rest of you all have better luck.

! I'm glad I finally have a name for it! I'm glad to see that my display isn't the only one that has this "image retention."

It's really not that bad, but I was wondering why the minimize, restore, and exit buttons were faintly visible on dark backgrounds. I guess now I know.

Heh.

About that image retention issue. Has anyone noticed it on any other lcds using the similar panels with this NEC? I've had 2 Dell 2007FPW's S-IPS and didn't notice that image retention.

Btw, does anyone have any experience with both this monitor and the HP f2105/Samsung 215T? I really like the HP f2105 that I'm using now and I'm hoping the NEC will offer significantly better for the trouble of switching lcds.

i was surfing around the webs a bit and happened upon somethng pretty cool (perhaps this has been posted or perhaps it's common knowledge -- either way, it's pretty neat to a n00b like me).

anyway, you can see the # of hours running by pressing UP and the "reset/Dv Mode" keys at the same time while in the monitor info segment of the menu.

I got a Question, perhaps it may sounded silly :(
I have Good ol ViewSonic G90fb (in' CRT)
If I replace my current monitor what kind of a benfit I will get except space saving?

you cant order the remote from NEC, theyre out of stock

you cant order the remote from NEC, theyre out of stock
Oops. Sorry about that. The rep from tech support said it'd be availiable there. I didn't personally call to check. Paying 25+ bucks for a remote that should be included just sorta sucks.

Out of curiosity to the screen gluttons, why more than 2 screens? Four ?!?!?

If you want a jumbo display is not just going with a full fledged tv a better option? multiple computers? I suppose that could be it.

A second for me, 2 for my brother, 1 for my dad. Gotta take care of the family :)

As for the remote, just go grab the cheapest Logitec Harmony you can find and program it for the screen. I did this with my 800. I dont remember if it was found or if I programmed it manually.

I'm the one that complained about the high pitch noise. :p My (non-refurb) 20WMGX2 doesn't have this problem, so that's my basis for comparison. I've not had a monitor make that sound while in standby (my old Dell 2000FP made a noise while warming up, but not in standby). Anyway, it's on its way to NEC for warranty service, so I'm waiting to see what happens. :)

i was surfing around the webs a bit and happened upon somethng pretty cool (perhaps this has been posted or perhaps it's common knowledge -- either way, it's pretty neat to a n00b like me).

anyway, you can see the # of hours running by pressing UP and the "reset/Dv Mode" keys at the same time while in the monitor info segment of the menu.
Are saying that it shows the total hours of monitor use since the first retail purchaser (sort of like a car odometer reads the total miles on a car)? Is the UP key you're refering to the "page up" key? If so, then I'm not able to access any such information.

Are saying that it shows the total hours of monitor use since the first retail purchaser (sort of like a car odometer reads the total miles on a car)? Is the UP key you're refering to the "page up" key? If so, then I'm not able to access any such information.

works for me, i think they sent me a basically new panel. mine says 20hours

I figured out how to do it. You press the NEC joy stick control up at the same time as you push the reset/DVmode button, while being in the info page of the menue. Mine reads 126 hours, so it too must have been new as I've been keeping it on almost 24/7 since I got it more than a week ago.

Yeah mine was at 30 hours and 40 mins when i found that last night. And I'm sure most of those hours came from me....

On another note: I found the USer guide online as well. Evidentially the image retention is actually called "image persistence." The user guide says the following about it:

"Please be aware that LCD Technology may experience a phenomenon known as Image Persistence. Image Persistence occurs when a residual, or "ghost", image of a previous image remains visible on the screen. Unlike with CRT monitors, LCD monitors' image persistence is not permanent, but constant images being displayed for a long period of time should be avoided.

To alleviate image persistence, turn off the monitor for as long as the previous image was displayed. For example, if an image was on the monitor for one hour and a residual image remains, the monitor should be turned off for one hour to erase the image.

As with all personal display devices, NEC DISPLAY SOLUTIONS recommends displaying moving images and using a moving screen saver at regular intervals whenever the screen is idle or turning off the monitor when not in use."

Etech4sale is waiting to hear back from me. Should I order from them or one of the other stores mentioned?

Just got off the phone with NEC. They're going to repair my monitor and give me free shipping both ways. Usually takes 3 to 5 business days to repair. They said they didn't have any monitors in stock to RMA it.

My monitor from etech4sale was sent with 240 plus hours on it.

Got mine today from etech4sale, I'm pleased although it does appear that I have either a dead pixel or tiny blemish near the right hand edge of the screen (maybe a spec of dust?). Mine didn't come with the remote either :(
The hours running counter reads 1550+ hours of use so clearly these aren't all brand new.

But overall this thing looks way better than my old Viewsonic TN panel.

1550 hours? Wow.

Seems like these have been all over the place as far as usage.

Just got mine today, however there seems to be a problem. Despite what connection I use, I cant seem to get any video. The monitor powers on and seems to detect that it is connected to my PC since the LED is blue and I can see that there is a dead/stuck pixel, but I can't even see the little menu that should pop up so I can adjust the contrast/brightness settings. I am waiting to talk to the NEC tech support right now, but I was wondering if you guys had any idea of what the problem is and maybe a solution.

I just got mine.
790 hours
Input lag and white-to-black are exactly the same as my 2007WFP. (very little, less than a frame)
No remote.
No dead pixels.
Two one-inch scratches right next to each other. :-(
No DVI cable included is annoying for a high end monitor.
MUCH faster image persistence than the 2007wfp.
A lot of the images on lagom.nl flicker on the NEC. They are all rock solid on the 2007WFP
Joystick is a bit finicky.

Component input looks OK. (only tried 480p). Doesn't seem to save my custom settings though. The sizing option is odd.

I'd rather the 2007wfp be $200, but the NEC was still a good deal.

So then, 2007WFP > NEC?

I am getting a tad scared from these hour counts. Some got barely used units, while others got workhorse units.

So then, 2007WFP > NEC?

I am getting a tad scared from these hour counts. Some got barely used units, while others got workhorse units.

I'm liking the NEC monitor a bit more. It looks good in the dark. The smooth finish is nice when there are no reflections.

Wow, mine had 2454 hours on it! No dead pixels, but the screen isn't completely uniform. Also a slight dent and scratch on the top, like it was dropped upside down on something. There is a slightly lighter band in it, and I can see the screen of the OSD (from when I used it?) when the background is uniform. I'm going to have to run jscreenfix for a while to see if I can get that to go away. I hope that it's not something that will keep appearing too easily. It does seem a few seconds in the OSD is all that is required to make it burn into the screen.

No remote
No dvi cable
but I got a small little audio connector.

update: seems to be defective. On a black screen I get faint white vertical lines across the whole screen. I'm also surprised it fails the gradient test and behaves like a 6-bit display with distinct bands. I'll call up NEC tomorrow to see what they can do. I mean, what can they really do since they don't have any of these anymore to replace it with, can they really fix those white lines?

So I decided to try out the speakers...

is it just me, or do these things really REALLY suck? I can barely hear them at their highest volume setting. Perhaps I got a defunct set?

Anyone else have better luck with speaker volume?

Wow, mine had 2454 hours on it! No dead pixels, but the screen isn't completely uniform. Also a slight dent and scratch on the top, like it was dropped upside down on something. There is a slightly lighter band in it, and I can see the screen of the OSD (from when I used it?) when the background is uniform. I'm going to have to run jscreenfix for a while to see if I can get that to go away. I hope that it's not something that will keep appearing too easily. It does seem a few seconds in the OSD is all that is required to make it burn into the screen.

No remote
No dvi cable
but I got a small little audio connector.

update: seems to be defective. On a black screen I get faint white vertical lines across the whole screen. I'm also surprised it fails the gradient test and behaves like a 6-bit display with distinct bands. I'll call up NEC tomorrow to see what they can do. I mean, what can they really do since they don't have any of these anymore to replace it with, can they really fix those white lines?

2400 hours is too much. I hope they at least replaced the CCFL backlight on these refurb units so that it won't just die on you soon.

Back