If you buy a cheap CD Key...

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Astrowind, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed 2[H]4U

It seems to be all over the place! Some keys work, some don't...

2. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

I brought 4 keys from here and had no issues as of yet. If they get block oh well? I'll just buy another cheap key. Paying a few bucks a key is better then what $100+ for a "Authorized" key.

3. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

So essentially what you're saying you could as well use them without paying. If they get a block, oh well, just get another one.

4. Rustler

Rustler Limp Gawd

Make a bootable USB, then you can use any Key........................better than the 100-150 you will spend from a retailer.

5. B00nie

You mean Puppy linux? Yes, that one is excellent and free.

6. Rustler

Rustler Limp Gawd

use rufus 2.2, its free also

7. B00nie

But it doesn't make Windows free...

8. jlbenedict

jlbenedict [H]ard|Gawd

With all the telemetry and spying in Windows 10, it should be free.

B00nie likes this.
  9. B00nie

Very true. There's a reason why the Russian Federation still runs Windows XP on Putins desktop lol. Why they don't use linux beats me. Perhaps they have web apps built on IE lol.

Mazzspeed likes this.
  10. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

I would bet that a lot of these cheap keys are from motherboard replacements on OEM systems.

The Dell tech that does warranty repair for use told me that he ends up with a massive number of keys because of this.

Dell sends out a new Windows 10 key for every motherboard replacement even though it isn't needed since the licensing is built into the BIOS.

I've been given a few of these because the techs have absolutely no use for piles upon piles of Windows keys.

That being said, I have only ever bought a few Windows 10 keys for use of a VMWare test host. Got those off of eBay for like $4 a piece.

Any system that already has Windows 7/8/8.1 on it should be available to upgrade to 10 for free... yes, it is still free to do the upgrade.

11. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

read that again, slowly...

OFaceSIG likes this.
  12. cyclone3d

What? they do. The ONLY time it would be needed is IF you install Windows via a retail DVD.. and not even sure if it is needed then. Would you like to see a pic of one of the papers they send out with a key on it? No sticker just a CD sized piece of paper in a plastic envelope.

Even if you have never activated the original Windows 10 install that came on the computer because you re-imaged it with a corporate image (activation through volume licensing servers) as soon as you got it, re-installing with Windows 10 via the media creation tool works and activates just fine.

If it came with an earlier version of Windows, you need to install that first via the Dell Windows DVD and then do the free upgrade since the way the OEM activation works has changed and you can;t just install Windows 10 IF it hasn't been activated on the Microsoft servers with that specific motherboard before.

The keys they send out will work to license any system you want to Install Windows 10 on.

13. pendragon1

and what is the bios built in to?! hint; its the mobo!!
    if you replace the motherboard the bios goes with it therefor you need a key. if there is a sticker on the unit that would probably work and you end up with an extra yes. you lose the board/bios there is no key in the unit.

14. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

Most OEM replacement boards are stamped with the key in the bios, or at least the ones used for warranty repair. However, the key is not needed anyways, if an corporate image is used.

15. pendragon1

maybe im misunderstanding. i was thinking he meant that the device has a key in it without a board.
    if its a new board for warranty replacement how/why would it have a key in bios? is it flashed into it without being in a unit?

16. ManofGod

It is stamped into it but, I do not know how they do it

pendragon1 likes this.
  17. cyclone3d

You don't have to do anything with the new board. The new board will activate with the Microsoft servers just fine.. even if you do a wipe and clean install of Windows 10.

The old way used to be SLIC, which you could hack almost any retail motherboard with an SLIC key and you could then activate Windows just fine without having to buy an actual license.

The new way they do it for OEMs is different. Still no actual key needed as each board is somehow embedded with some sort of key or ID that Microsoft recognizes as valid.

As of Windows 10 and I think even 8/8.1 there are no more COA stickers at all on the systems. You just install Windows without entering a key and then it activates as soon as you connect to the internet.

I've been working on OEM systems since 2004. Even worked for a contractor doing Dell and IBM onsite warranty for a couple years straight back in the day. Did more later on for a while as a sub-contractor. The sites I have worked at after that have always been Dell or mostly Dell only sites.

With XP and 7, you need a Dell CD/DVD or burned ISO to do the install and have it activate properly. Not sure about 8/8.1 as we skipped those entirely.

Also, with XP and 7, if you had to replace the bottom casing of a laptop, you would be sent a new COA sticker to apply even though the key on it was never used at all unless you lost your OEM Windows CD and needed to install from a retail CD/DVD/ISO.

I know very well how the OEM windows licencing/activation works. Not just spewing out stuff I have no idea about.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020 at 9:55 PM
    x509 likes this.
  18. B00nie

It's 'free' because you don't upgrade, you migrate to ad/spyware

19. cyclone3d

Are you aware that 7/8/8.1 have telemetry a.k.a "ad/spyware" in them as well?

20. AltTabbins

AltTabbins [H]ard as it Gets

Fake news. There was a picture that was floating around where people thought it was XP, when it was clearly 7.

pendragon1 and ManofGod like this.
  21. B00nie

Pointless. Nobody who cares about their privacy uses Windows for daily use anyway.

Deadjasper likes this.
  22. B00nie

Regardless of that also Win7 is now abandonware. Russians would be crazy to continue to keep using Windows.

23. Deadjasper

Deadjasper [H]ard|Gawd

Use CLI activation and all will be well. :)

24. x509

x509 [H]ard|Gawd

Sorry for the n00bish question, but how does CLI activation work?

25. ManofGod

No one who cares about their privacy will use the standard Linux Distros, either.

26. Deadjasper

Deadjasper [H]ard|Gawd

Command Line Activation.

https://www.howtogeek.com/245445/how-to-use-slmgr-to-change-remove-or-extend-your-windows-license/

The 2 main commands are -

To install or change the license key - slmgr.vbs /ipk #####-#####-#####-#####-#####

To activate Windows - slmgr.vbs /ato

There are others at the link above but these 2 will save you from having to use phone activation most of the time.

One more thing, you have to run the command prompt as administrator or the above doesn't work.

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  27. ThreeDee

ThreeDee [H]ardForum Junkie

I've gotten ..oh.. I lost count how many of these "cheap" keys I've gotten here and purchased a "cheap" Office 365 key on ebay .. haven't had issues with any of them. Bought a lot of OEM 7 keys from destroyed Dell/HP ..etc machines to do fresh Win 10 installs with .. no issues there either.

AltTabbins and Deadjasper like this.