If Windows 10 Update failed to install should I manually install it or wait for a prompt for a 2nd attempt?

InaDaise

Limp Gawd
It's for the January 10 2023 Cumulative update for 22H2 in Win 10 Home on a i7-7700 / ATT Uverse modem & router / Titan RTX / 32gb ram. It failed to install after it downloaded last Wednesday morning. Or I think it downloaded ok.

Is it ok to just wait to see if MS will prompt with a reinstallation of it in a week or two? Or should I get on the MS site soon and manually download it and install it myself before the next update in February? The Malicious Software Removal Tool installed just fine though btw.

Also I never select "Check for updates" because it's not recommended to do so unless anyone here thinks I should try that in this case. Each month for Second Tuesday I wait for the MS prompt to download & install updates in Windows Update.

Also I never select "Check for updates" because it's not recommended to do so unless anyone here thinks I should try that in this case.

There is certainly nothing dangerous about checking for updates. I'm not sure why anyone would recommend that you not do that, but it probably won't change anything as far as the update successfully installing or not.

If it were me, i'd download the latest version of windows from Uupdump: https://uupdump.net/selectedition.php?id=91f922a2-939e-4731-87ff-07323486fa8f&pack=en-us Then, do an in-place upgrade (Install the new version of Windows 10 from the ISO).

Or better yet, upgrade to Windows 11.

GotNoRice why not just get the update direct from MS actual update catalgoue site vs a 3rd party site and install the MSI directly vs clicking 5 prompts and converting things?

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=2023-01 Cumulative

I didn't link to just the update. What I linked to would allow him to create a custom ISO that included all current updates, which is what you would need to perform an "in-place upgrade" to the latest version (Installing a new version of windows on top of an existing version). If there are corrupt files or other issues with the current windows install which are causing the update to fail, this is more of a brute-force method that is more likely to succeed. I've done this on numerous occasions when computers were being stubborn about installing a feature update and it usually works great. Microsoft offers official ISOs that you can download, but they don't usually include the very latest updates.

He could certainly try downloading the update on it's own and installing it manually, but whatever caused the update to fail when installing via windows update would likely cause the update to fail when installing it manually as there is basically no difference. Windows Update doesn't give you a special version of the update, it's just a means of acquiring it.

Ahh k, i see, that makes sense, like back in the days of injecting updates into Windows XP ISO, the good ol days!

I downloaded from Uupdump into a custom directory and all the files and dirs are ready to create an ISO. But before I do that I decided to try "Check for updates" in Windows Update and it says I'm up to date. So is that an indication I should hold on and wait for a while? Or go ahead and create the ISO now?

I read some of the instructions for creating the ISO like about dragging the UUp dir over the .cmd file, etc, but still reading about the options. Or I could try downloading from the MS site just to see what happens. But as GotNoRice said the Uup ISO method would probably be more up to date.

The failed to install notification for the January 10 Cumulative is gone btw, which I didn't mention before. It was there on Wednesday but today Thursday it's gone along with the error code number. I remember the error code ended in 400 or 401. Edit: And the most recent entry for cumulative updates is still the old last month's December 14 2022 22H2 Cumulative update which installed ok on the first try.

Last edited:
I suggest that you consider delaying the monthly updates until later in the month and turn on "metered connections". Under the Advanced options found on the Update page you can delay installation for up to 35 days and turning on "metered connection" prevents automatic downloading and installation until you are ready. The MS defender updates still download and install as usual. This allows MS to correct any glitches in an update if one arises. Hope this helps.

I suggest that you consider delaying the monthly updates until later in the month and turn on "metered connections". Under the Advanced options found on the Update page you can delay installation for up to 35 days and turning on "metered connection" prevents automatic downloading and installation until you are ready. The MS defender updates still download and install as usual. This allows MS to correct any glitches in an update if one arises. Hope this helps.
Which we see plenty of glitches these days, seems every Cumulative in 2022 had a major issue found after release.

Back