If the air intake-duct doesn't line up w/ HSF..

St0ry

n00b
...should I take the funnel thing off? Currently the funnel thing is about 1 inch too far to the right and there's about 3 inches of space between the funnel and the cpu heatsink.

Thanks

I would. I had one on my Coolermaster Centurion 532, and it seemed to raise the temp of the CPU because it wasn't directly in line. Of course, it's a moot point now since my ZEROtherm Zen cooler takes up all the space the funnel used.

I was thinking of replacing it with an intake fan but I have no idea how large it is. Whats the correct way to measure fan size? And would it be bad to have air blowing directly towards the HSF region?

It's actually smaller than 80mm. I have an 80mm fan and it's too big for it.

I have a Dynex case that I picked up for really cheap a while ago. http://www.dynexproducts.com/p-276-dynex-atx-mid-tower-case-black.aspx

Also, as the specification say, there is space for two optional 80mm fans on the inside in the front of the case. However, the front is entirely closed, what good will those fans do? Just provide better airflow inside the case?

It probably pulls the air up through the bottom of the front panel. There's a lot of cheap cases that do that.

Just take out the duct, they're pretty much useless anyways. I do suggest that you install some front fans though.

It probably pulls the air up through the bottom of the front panel. There's a lot of cheap cases that do that.

I lifted it up today and looked underneath, it's all sealed up too. Would having 2 fans in the front provide better airflow within the case? Blowing the air towards the rear exhaust fan?

I'll get on that later tonight then. Anyways, what's the proper way to measure fan size? Is it diagonal? Circumference? Radius? Pi x radius squared?

Sticking more fans in the front would still pull in air through the cracks in the case, even if airflow is fairly restricted. It's certainly better than not having any intake fans at all, so you should definitely do it if you have some fans around.

Fan size is measured by the diameter, which is identical to the length of one of the sides of the square bracket it's attached to.

The side vent thing is actually 70mm and I want to get a fan for it. Anyone know where's a good place to buy 70mm case fans? I looked on Newegg but shipping costs more than most of the fans.

Back