If priced the same is the 7950 still the better buy

Are you still not sure about sending your card back? You are the guy from Anandtech right?

Yes
Sorry I have analysis paralysis.
Seems like the cards everyone recommends are $310 to $320
My card was $338..
So... overall unless I wait for a sapphire deal.. saving about $20
So really not much difference in price.

Depends on the games you play and resolution you plan on playing on.

Some HD7950s over clock great at around 1300mhz core. Seems like many HD7950s can get to around 1200mhz. Overclocking helps with performance alot on HD7950 cards.

Another thing to consider is if you plan on getting a ultra HD display in the near future. I think the HD7950 will do better on higher resolution because of larger memory interface.

IMO the HD7950 seems more future proof based on the hardware. Hopefully AMD will keep working on the drivers and getting the most performance out of HD79XX cards.

Stock 670 is faster, but getting a 7950 to OC is a better value. Of course that's if you get one that overclocks decent.

Another thing to consider is if you plan on getting a ultra HD display in the near future. I think the HD7950 will do better on higher resolution because of larger memory interface.

If you can afford a 4K monitor in the near feature you should probably be getting 2-3 of the top of the line cards. That's 8 million pixels to render. 3x1080p eyefinity is only 6 million.

Also with a modded bios (volt mod) the 670 can also over clock pretty well.

If you can afford a 4K monitor in the near feature you should probably be getting 2-3 of the top of the line cards. That's 8 million pixels to render. 3x1080p eyefinity is only 6 million.

Also with a modded bios (volt mod) the 670 can also over clock pretty well.

1 or 2 HD7950s would probably work great with a 21:9 2560x1080 gaming display.

The problem for higher resolution for the GTX 670 will be the smaller memory interface.

One monitor, 1080
Maybe upgrade to the next rez someday, but one monitor right now.

Lets not forget, once you start going with higher resolution, keeping up on new games can be hard on your wallet. So if money is always tight, gaming at the top settings is something you have to be financially committed to.

7950 is a better value as others have said, but the 670 is a great card and offers excellent performance. Realistically, with both overclocked you would be hard pressed to see much tangible difference in performance in most situations. I'd just stick with the 670.

I wonder if my problem was I just wasn't truly ready to upgrade. my 5850 is still playing fine... I just turn things down.

Back