• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

If money was no object

Shenlon

n00b
Joined
Oct 22, 2006
Messages
12
If money was no object what the is the best memory out there ? I was looking at the Corsair XMS2 Dominator PC8888.

Thank you all for the help. :D
 
Well, "IF" money is no object ( must be nice :eek: ) you can easily spend about $200+ more on the Dominator AND you get a nifty cooling fan. Is this hypothetical or are you loaded and considering buying the fastest memory on the planet?

Yellowbeard
 
I agree with everyone here, then again he never specified if he was overclocking. I think the highest support right now on DDR2 rigs is PC6400. But if your going to overclock and tinker with things you can go higher. If I am wrong please someone correct me.
 
quite correct sean ;)
Yellowbeard said:
Well, "IF" money is no object ( must be nice :eek: ) you can easily spend about $200+ more on the Dominator AND you get a nifty cooling fan.
how loud is that fan btw.. haven't seen it in person yet :p
 
No, you are exactly right, with any of this good fast memory you will need to OC to really see the potential. That's why I asked above if this is hypothetical or if this original poster is about to buy memory.

So far the 965 boards seem to be utilizing the fast memory best as they are running better asynch than the 975 MOBOs. I am also looking forward to the new Nvidia 6xx series chipset and MOBOs. I hope they clock well, better than the 570 and 590 anyways.
 
My current rig has 1 single gig of Apacer PC6400, and I play games and I don't even see the need to have anything more at the moment. Sure having two gigs would shorten load times, but they're not long to begin with. :p
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
quite correct sean ;)

how loud is that fan btw.. haven't seen it in person yet :p
WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER MY FANS! ;) Just kidding, I have not heard one yet, mine is in the mail so I hear :( I'll post some results here. Since they are 40mm fans, I hope they are not too loud. I don't want 6000rpm food processors in my rig.

Seanmounce, I see you subscribe to the thought, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Good plan. And, fast HDs and/RAID-0 helps more with load times. More memory will help in game if you encounter stutter during periods of heaviest I/O. More memory will reduce page file activity which is where you usually get your problems.
 
Back
Top