If i upgrade to winxp, will i have to reinstall the SATA drives?

HRslammR

2[H]4U
cause lord knows i don't even have a floppy disk in my house, and i'm not really sure where the sata floppies are anyways. i have win2k right now, and everything is working just super, but i'm planning on going to winxp, will i have to reinstall the SATA files off the floppies again?

you will most likely need a driver if you have a raid-0 set up ,

some sata chips with raid support also need a driver during setup even if not
using raid ,

the best way is to slipstream the sata driver into windows cd before you intall it

you can do it easly with nlite ,

I think it depends on what chip-set you have. May also depend on whether the version of XP you end up with will let you do an upgrade or note. I have a silicon image IDE RAID card and have to load the drivers using the F6 key for both XP and 2k.

HRslammR said:
cause lord knows i don't even have a floppy disk in my house, and i'm not really sure where the sata floppies are anyways. i have win2k right now, and everything is working just super, but i'm planning on going to winxp, will i have to reinstall the SATA files off the floppies again?

You'll need the drivers on hand. On a floppy unless your controller supports an installation compatibility mode, or you use a slipstreamed install with your drivers and SP2. As long as your 2k still boots, just verfiy what controller you're using in device manager and download the latest version.

bobrownik is right. nlite is the way to go.

and after finally installing winxp, i in fact do not need to reinsall the drivers, they work on their own. although xp does not recognize my only harddrive as a plug and play drive

Back