If I lease to buy a PC with Windows XP does the company...

Snooble

Gawd
If I lease to buy a PC with Windows XP does the company have to supply the Windows XP CD with the PC that it is installed on or are they supposed to hold onto it until the final payment is made?

Currently in a dispute with a leasing company over this. The PC is a piece of shit and the sound is broke and I want my money back after having it a few days and being able to do exactly jack squat with it.

Thanks

I have no idea, but I do have a question....and I am not being a smart ass when asking, but why on earth did you lease a pc? Business reasons, or what.

I only ask because frankly, I had no idea you could even do such a thing.

And, actually, after thinking about it, I would think they probably would keep the XP cd until it was paid off, because technically, you'd be leasing the software that came with the machine as well.... I could be wrong, but just a thought.

leasing a pc seems like a strange concept. you could build a budget right for like $150-200

You'd have to read the lease contract in detail but normally when you lease something, you are supposed to get all of the same items as you would if it were purchased. If they're witholding items that can hamper or even prevent the usage of the merchandise in question, that could be considered a breach of the lease contract.

Reguarding the PC itself, have you followed the steps towards getting it serviced? If so and the company hasn't completed their end of the deal, that can also be a breach of contract.

Best step to do at this point is to find a legal consultant firm that charges a flat rate for asking a couple of questions. There are usually some firms that have a low cost ($100 or less) price for an hour's worth of consultation or will even answer a simple question for free.

@ Compslckr - Poor choice for building credit perhaps?

Anyway, I would say if you do as others mentioned (and go see a lawyer for a few q's) that you make sure you have a copy of the lease terms with you. Posters here are generally very knowledgable about computers, but not necessarily about the law...CYA basically (no offense to my fellow [H]'ers intended . :p

Snooble said:
The PC is a piece of shit and the sound is broke and I want my money back after having it a few days and being able to do exactly jack squat with it.
If you're trying to return the PC and get your money back, why would you expect to keep the OS CD?

And about leasing... I believe there can be some tax advantages from a business standpoint. Rather than purchasing and depreciating the value over the life of the item, I think you can treat it as an expense. (But don't quote me on that, as I'm not an accountant.) Where I used to work, they leased all their laptops and employees got a new one every two years.

Lethal said:
If you're trying to return the PC and get your money back, why would you expect to keep the OS CD?

And about leasing... I believe there can be some tax advantages from a business standpoint. Rather than purchasing and depreciating the value over the life of the item, I think you can treat it as an expense. (But don't quote me on that, as I'm not an accountant.) Where I used to work, they leased all their laptops and employees got a new one every two years.

Thats what I was thinking.

Anyway a lot of business lease the it hardware. I know a few that lease everything. Monitors, servers, projectors, pcs, network equment, etc.

I would read the contract on your lease and see if they have done anything that would give you the right to break the contract if you want out.

That was a friend on my account writing lol..I let him ask the question.

Anyways, we took his PoS PC back and he got his cash, I told him to stop being a idiot and just save the cash and buy one. They were going to give us the run around but I went in looking pretty sharp and they backed down and gave a 100% refund AND an apology.

Back