If I get a "Cannot Delete, File in Use" Error one more time, im gonna snap.

The Chosen One

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys, ive been doing a bit of video editing lately, and as a result have been copying avi and mpeg files around between hard drives, and network computers etc.

My problem is that soooooo often, if you do something unorthodox like trying to open a file too early, trying to delete it while still open accidentally, you get a "Cannot Delete, file in use" type error (not verbatim, but you get the idea). The most annoying thing is that no matter what i close, the error stays forever until i restart in safe mode and delete the files that way.

Does anyone know of a way to stop this from happening, or at least an easier way to get around it. Restarting in safe mode really shits me, and its happening SOOO often lately.

heeelllpp!

hehe thanks guys.

Well if this was in *NIX I would use a command called lsof

and do something like

lsof | grep FILE_IN_QUESTION

this will then show what processes have a lock on the file, thus I can then kill them

When I used Windows-2000 it comes with a resource-kit with some extra (mostly network-admin) commands. Two very handy commands was the follow DLL-dependancy's and also listing what files a process had locks on

It was alot more manual work then the "lsof | grep FILE" method in Linux, but it worked

Sorry I don't know the command but to give you and hopefully others a clue to what is needed

Do a google search for "Wholockme." It's a program that will add a "wholockme" to the context menu and tell you which processes are locking a particular file so you can kill the process.

drdeutsch

gipo@moveonboot.

once installed, right click and select 'delete on next boot' and not worry about it.

unlocker rocks, have been using it for the last past year...

Back