If I dont plan on overclocking...

UltraJounin

Limp Gawd
I plan on building a system in the next few weeks but I'm not interested in overclocking at all.
Since I'm not overclocking and considering the system below, should I be going with ddr3200 (400mhz) or ddr3500 (416mhz)? LGA775 runs at 800mhz, wouldnt 3500 be slightly *trying to choose my words carefully* an overkill? Im thinking I would get better stability with a high quality set of 3200 with LOW latency than an average set of 3500? Please Adivse for the NON-overclocker *me*

1. Intel LGA 775 Pentium 4 520 2.8 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology

2. CORSAIR XMS, Xtra-Low Latency 2-2-2-5, 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 w/ Platinum Heat Spreader, Model TWINX1024-3200XLPT

3. XFX nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, TV-Out/DVI, 8X AGP, Model "PVT40AUD"

4. Shuttle XPC Barebone System for Socket 775 at 800MHz FSB Intel CPU, Model SB83G5

Right, you wouldn't need PC3500 RAM since you're going to be running at 400MHz anyways. I would go for the low latency PC3200 RAM.

For non-OC'd systems, I think you'll be hard pressed to beat Crucial for stability, support, and overall quality. It's what we run in our workstations / lab machines and it's been "no worries" in all cases.

FWIW - B.B.S.

^

But what kind? I was looking at a set of 1GB Corsair XMS RAM ($312 Newegg) but that's too damn expensive for someone who isn't overclocking.

If you ae not going to OC AND you think $300 is too much to spend on good memory check out the Mushkin Level One, excellent memory by Mushkin at a reasonable price and good timings (2-3-2-6) $300 isn't that much for good memory with good timings. Good memory costs more because of the quality control, pcb and chips used in its manufacture and is worth every penny if you want a sound, reliable system. Make sure the memory you are intrested in is compatible with your mobo....either on the qvl for your mobo or tested by the memory mfg for compatability.

Uh, how about some Corsair lower-end XMS like this
for 25 bucks less @ 2-2-2-5 or this
for 75 bucks less and @ 2-3-2-6, both much better than that really expesnsive Mushkin stuff you somehow suggested.

They are good brands, but be aware there have been a lot of incompatbilty problems with them...If you are using a Asus, or Intel mobo stick to the mushkin. If you're using some other mobo check the forum and see if anyone has had success with your mobo/memory combination before you buy it. I don't work for Mushkin, but you will find if you check around the forum very few people with Mushkin have any issues with it, its what sold me on them initially and has kept me as a customer...along with possibly the best tech-support in the business !

Go with Crucial for compatibility. They are the best for stability in the industry, period.

I usually just go with the cheapest I can find, but stick with reliable maufacturers such as Corsair, Crucial, Mushkin, Kingston ect...

I think Newegg is selling a PC3200 512 stick of Corsair for like $90 which is very nice if you aren't overclocking.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll keep you posted on my new system once I make my purchases.

Back