If I disconnect my raid 0 drives and re-connect, will I loose array?

ZV3001

Limp Gawd
I just bought a GTX 260 and need to move one of the HD's that I have in my Raid 0
array, will this screw the array at all? Is it safe to move the HD to another spot in my
case and reconnect it? This is my first Raid 0 and I can't afford to screw it up!

First of all a little preaching. RAID 0 with 2 drives doubles the chance of failure for the array. Therefore imortant, or hard to replace data such as photos or documents should not be stored on a RAID 0 without at least one backup copy. Also, whenever you do work on your system, any info should be backed up.

Ok, the information regarding the setup of the RAID array is written on the hard drive. You could move them to another system with the same controller chip in the raid array and it would work just fine. Disconnecting and reconnecting the drive in the same system should be no problem.

Don

I've unhooked my raid drives and messed with them and hooked them back up just fine. Keep in mind though, if you are finished with the array, you must clear the disk MBR in the raid option menus. If you simply turn raid off in bios or remove the card, then try to install to the disk, you won't be able to even see it to partition it.

Your raid configuration is kept on the drives, so keeping those drives together will be of no issue. Removing them, shipping them, and then reinstalling them will also pose no issue.

First of all a little preaching. RAID 0 with 2 drives doubles the chance of failure for the array. Therefore imortant, or hard to replace data such as photos or documents should not be stored on a RAID 0 without at least one backup copy. Also, whenever you do work on your system, any info should be backed up.

Ok, the information regarding the setup of the RAID array is written on the hard drive. You could move them to another system with the same controller chip in the raid array and it would work just fine. Disconnecting and reconnecting the drive in the same system should be no problem.

Don

Thanks guys, that helps a lot! I have a 1TB and a good back up program that runs every week so I should be set!

Back