If Gaming on Windows 8 is Bad Will You Stick With Windows 7?

Howie

Limp Gawd
I have a few Windows 7 Home Premiums, but I'm pretty sure a future build will include more than 16gb of ram. So with that in mind, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to pick up Windows 7 Pro before it is no longer for sale if Windows 8 is going to be bad for gaming. But that's just my situation.

So who will stick with Windows 7 if Windows 8 is bad for gaming?

Naturally. The only thing I use Windows for is gaming, after all.

Hoping Valve can fix that for me ;)

Windows 8 will be fine for gaming. Any game that can run in windows 7 will run fine in windows 8 as well.

Early benchmarks have shown windows 8 is just as fast in 3d applications.

Just grab a copy of windows 8 update for $40 in a few weeks and it will support more then 16gb ram. Think of Metro as a fancy start menu.

Valve is just fussing because MS is trying to get a piece of the money for new Metro style games.

If you are worried about Windows 8 why not just download the RTM or release preview and try it now before all the deals go south.

I go win 8 when its out and I primary game.
no reason to sit with a slower OS

8 is fine. The boot times justify its existence alone.

At the time vista home basic was perfect for gaming but folks felt that they had to buy Ultimate even though it was more bloated and little or none of the extras had anything to do with gaming.

Just go with the flow.

I've been running Windows 8 for a month now and it's perfectly fine for gaming, which is the main use of my rig. And yes, the boot time is awesome !!!

I'm officially done with Windows 7. When Win8 is released on Oct.26th, I'll be upgrading all my 'puters.

dual booting Win8 since RTM, I'll be sticking with Windows 7. If you have a good PC, boot times on 8 and 7 aren't more than a few seconds different.

8 will go down in history with Win ME and Windows Vista.

Some interesting benchmarks of Win8 vs Win7 here:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105...s-offer-first-hints-of-windows-8-performance/

In the gaming benchmarks, Far Cry 2 had problems on Win 8. Metro 2033 had exactly the same performance on both OSes. Crysis got a huge performance boost from Win 8.

That last bit is interesting; googling around I see lots of complaints about Crysis performing poorly on Windows 7, and the article suggests that it's a result of better RAM optimization in Win 8. I would be interested to see if GTA IV's notorious RAM issues get resolved on Win 8.

I'm using a gtx 680 with vsync disabled but there is some hard cap in Windows 8 / DX11.1 with Crysis 2 for me. I can't break 64 fps in Win8 - (yes vsync is disable all settings are the same as in Win7), in Windows 7 / DX11 I'm in the 90's most the time (1680x1050 @ 120hz)

This bug was mentioned in a Win7/ Win8 comparison I saw a few weeks back too, so I'm not the only one that noticed it.

Edit - I see in the article you linked, they were talking about Crysis 1.

I was really excited with Windows 8 - but the novelty wore off soon after. By the time I got done tweaking it, I had the latest Start8 installed - start menu was back, booted to classic desktop, etc. It was back to Windows 7 interface for me and with the other hiccups I've had it just wasnt worth the effort. I didn't get any big gains in any games or even encoding apps. I didn't get any big "wow" moments, just a lot of frustration and having to disable / work around the metro nuances I just didn't feel it was worth it anymore and finally reformatted last week and just went back to Windows 7 after running dual boot since it RTM'd.

Last edited:
I plan on skipping Win8 altogether. I think Win7 is just about perfect and all the stuff I've seen about Win8, doesn't make me want to ditch 7. I'm not saying never but there is a good chance I wont switch OS's til Win9 or whatever they're calling it.

The only two games I play, Skyrim and BF3, are as smooth if not smoother under Windows 8. The start screen is a more efficient program launcher, and there are many technical improvements, question is; why would anyone stick with Windows 7?

win8 games great. If not at least on par with win7, its been better in some instances.
The responsiveness of windows 8 tops win7 even. Its a great OS once you learn to live with the UI.

The only two games I play, Skyrim and BF3, are as smooth if not smoother under Windows 8. The start screen is a more efficient program launcher, and there are many technical improvements, question is; why would anyone stick with Windows 7?

Because they don't agree with you. I find Metro to be just God awful. It looks like something for a child and popping back and forth over to the classic desktop annoyed the fuck out of me. I love the better memory management, hate the high DPC latency, integration of live account sucks (but can get around that creating local account on install), loved the quick boot time, hated lack of aero and gadgets, had to disable superfetch or the copy UI would hang, hated that FXAA/SMAA injectors didnt work, loved the power users menu but hated lack of start menu (thank God for Start 8)... it goes on and on, I loved one thing but HATED the next...

I also found in BF3 without vsync there is a strange skipping in BF3. Its smoother in Win7 to me maybe its something to do with me running a 120hz LCD and not using vsync.

Last edited:
Because they don't agree with you. I find Metro to be just God awful. It looks like something for a child and popping back and forth over to the classic desktop annoyed the fuck out of me.
People do many things because they disagree with me, doesn't mean I understand it. What annoys me when I have to use Windows 7 systems now, is navigating through the start menu to open programs, and not having live tile updates. Don't understand how switching from start screen to desktop is any more annoying than opening the start menu then closing it, it's virtually the same effect. Hard to imagine there is something you must see on the desktop behind the start menu while you open a new program.

I also found in BF3 without vsync there is a strange skipping in BF3. Its smoother in Win7 to me maybe its something to do with me running a 120hz LCD and not using vsync.

Well little point in trying to debug it now, since you're back on Win 7 for good. All I can say is I have no problems with BF3, but I only have a 60hz monitor. Sounds like a driver issue, the 680s are newish after all.

Addressing the ninja edit:
I love the better memory management, hate the high DPC latency, integration of live account sucks (but can get around that creating local account on install), loved the quick boot time, hated lack of aero and gadgets, had to disable superfetch or the copy UI would hang, hated that FXAA/SMAA injectors didnt work, loved the power users menu but hated lack of start menu (thank God for Start 8)... it goes on and on, I loved one thing but HATED the next...

The things you hate..I mean, I have told you before how to get rid of DPC Latency, 90% of it is the dynamic tick which is solely to save power while the cpu is idle, it can be disabled so you can have a low latency while doing nothing if you wish. aero, well most people did not seem to like it, I like the flat simple stylistic interface over the needless visual complexity, don't know what else I can say there. gadgets can easily be replaced by live tiles (eventually as the number of Windows store apps builds up), which imo are better, since they are sandboxed, have strict power requirements and can give desktop notifications and so on, FXAA/SMAA injectors probably just need an update from their makers, start menu seems to be replaced by a more efficient method to launch programs, imo. and so on.

Last edited:
If Windows 8 is actually putting up numbers that are slower than Windows 7, I'll probably stick with Windows 7.

If it's just a matter of not liking Metro (I fucking hate it!), I'll probably still move on to Windows 8 ...but not in any hurry.

Well i think it will boil down to this.

If you have 7 already and are getting good numbers then yes, stick with it.

If for some reason you are still with Vista etc. or have a second rig then why not go to 8.

If Windows 8 is actually putting up numbers that are slower than Windows 7, I'll probably stick with Windows 7.

If it's just a matter of not liking Metro (I fucking hate it!), I'll probably still move on to Windows 8 ...but not in any hurry.

I don't think Windows 8 is putting up worse numbers for the most part, except a small number of games that are broken, probably because the developer made assumptions MS specifically warns against, so they'll have to be patched. And that article above about FC2 was from an early beta build (CP I think.)

What specifically do you hate about metro? I think most people, even techies, don't understand how to use it for their benefit, perhaps if you stated what problems you were having I or someone else could suggest a better way to use it to your advantage. My generic advice would be to remove everything you do not want and use from the start screen, and only pin your apps that you use, grouped together and labeled, then have whatever metro apps you find useful (weather, mail, or whatever.) When I saw Win 8 I did the nerd rage thing as well cursing tablets, etc., but I forced myself to think about it, and eventually came up with something I like better than Windows 7.

I don't see how gaming would be bad on Win8, the only real complaint I hear from people is Metro. MS made a lot of performance improvements to the UI. For $40 buck upgrade, I think it might be worth to stick with it. I just installed the RTM eval which is said to include more performance improvements from earlier builds. This isn't like going from XP to Vista. Drivers seem to be good so far (except Creative - although those work by modding the ini).

This isn't like going from XP to Vista. Drivers seem to be good so far (except Creative - although those work by modding the ini).

Vista, Win7, and Win8 all use basically the same drivers, so I would expect them to be good at this point.

Windows 7 for me until Google get their act together and release an OS for the PC market

And until the rest of the planet decides to release drivers and software for it.

a good OS requries plug and play and simply put you either go the Mac way or the Microsoft way for wide adaption or sit there with either geeks (Linux) or others who hope but the stability we want and ease of use Microsoft does best.

Gamed over the weekend on my Win8 box playing Borderlands 2, had zero issues.

Gaming on Windows 8 is a non-issue for me. Works as expected or better.

The fear of Windows 8 regarding gaming is just like having a superstition. Pointless & unneeded.

Kinda like the change in the interface, huh? Pointless & unneeded. sweet. :)

Maybe to you, but quite necessary for the streamlined ecosystem that Microsoft is envisioning. They wouldn't have put in all that money and work if it was just pointless.

Had some issues with nVidia drivers and flash hardware acceleration on GTX 580s, so I'm going to make a safe assumption that Windows 8 drivers are not completely mature yet. One of the biggest annoyances was not being able to pin the taskbar to one screen in nVSurround.

Yep, kind of like the outrageous hate campaign you have for Windows 8 despite the fact that you keep on using it? Pointless & unneeded. Epic, broham. :cool:

Yep, kind of like the outrageous hate campaign you have for Windows 8 despite the fact that you keep on using it? Pointless & unneeded. Epic, broham. :cool:

I reformatted and removed the phone OS from my setup. I'm glad you are happy with your new cell phone... err computer...

I reformatted and removed the phone OS from my setup. I'm glad you are happy with your new cell phone... err computer...

I mostly use the desktop with a jump to the Start Screen to open apps or games. I treat it more like a supercomputer phone with kickass gaming & multimedia capabilities. :p

I am definitely and quantifiably more efficient with the new interface, and love the way it looks. Doesn't quite fit definition of pointless & unneeded to me. However, I'm not hearing many complaints of games not working or running good, so that would seem a better fit for the term pointless and unneeded.

Once again, I've seen nothing to suggest an interface can't work on both and be better than the previous setup. Spamming 'CELL PHONE UI' doesn't really give any insight into anything.

Don't worry guys, I'm sure there will be millions of others that you can try to convince that Metro isn't crap come Oct 26th. Good luck with your mission....

Don't worry guys, I'm sure there will be millions of others that you can try to convince that Metro isn't crap come Oct 26th. Good luck with your mission....

Is that what this is about? You think we can't convince other people, and so you need to be a cheap spammer about it to get us to shut up to stop them from being convinced...because they can't be? Makes sense.

Is that what this is about? You think we can't convince other people, and so you need to be a cheap spammer about it to get us to shut up to stop them from being convinced...because they can't be? Makes sense.

Nope, I just really hate the new interface and after using Windows 8 since RTM and the CP / RP have just come to the conclusion it's not for desktop PC users, it's for tablets and phones.

But you guys can enjoy it if you like. There will be many more that hate it after using it in October and good luck convincing them that it's not a shitty interface - if you're still trying to do that sort of thing next month...

May the powered of the big colored blocks be with you...

Nope, I just really hate the new interface and after using Windows 8 since RTM and the CP / RP have just come to the conclusion it's not for desktop PC users, it's for tablets and phones.

But you guys can enjoy it if you like. There will be many more that hate it after using it in October and good luck convincing them that it's not a shitty interface - if you're still trying to do that sort of thing next month...

Oh man, I'm being more efficient and loving the new interface, but it's big colored blocks? Why didn't someone tell me?? Anyway, you assume they will be more pig-headed than you, and maybe they will be, and maybe they will not be convinced and all dump Windows 8 for the old way, or maybe they'll use that 10 petaflop brain evolution gave them, man up and give something new a try and judge it on it's merits, efficiency and style. Who knows?

Not everyone is you, and most of the average consumer that buys an OEM computer will not care as long as long as it works properly and smoothly. The biggest problem with the Vista launch was that not everything worked properly and smoothly, but I doubt that Microsoft will make that mistake again.

Take your self-centered views and get out of every Windows 8 thread. You think you're in the majority? Right now, it's 2 people for Windows 8 and 1 against in this thread. Windows 8 is not one of those "hate it or love it" things. It's one of those with lots of gray area, and the majority of people will fall in that middle gray area: "Meh, got used to it, don't really care which OS I use, I'll just use the one that came installed on the computer."

Not everyone is you, and most of the average consumer that buys an OEM computer will not care as long as long as it works properly and smoothly. The biggest problem with the Vista launch was that not everything worked properly and smoothly, but I doubt that Microsoft will make that mistake again.

Take your self-centered views and get out of every Windows 8 thread. You think you're in the majority? Right now, it's 2 people for Windows 8 and 1 against in this thread. Windows 8 is not one of those "hate it or love it" things. It's one of those with lots of gray area, and the majority of people will fall in that middle gray area: "Meh, got used to it, don't really care which OS I use, I'll just use the one that came installed on the computer."

the average consumer will HATE it. Its going to down with the likes of Vista and WinME.

the average consumer will HATE it. Its going to down with the likes of Vista and WinME.

It's very easy to speak for people who are not present. I say let them make up their own minds, without spamming your opinion to make them feel they have to hate it. Nobody elected you to represent all the consumers, after all, so why do you try to speak for them? You don't know what they're going to do any better than any of us.. Let me add, Windows 8 is nothing like Vista and Win ME. Vista was a big change, but that's not why it was hated, it was hated because of non-working drivers and other things which are not similar to the Windows 8 situation, and I think most of that was done by people who don't use Windows but spam forums with their hatred of it. Win ME was hated, imo, because it was not big enough a change, it was the same when that was no longer what people desired, in fact in that vein I would call Windows 8 the anti-Windows ME.

Last edited:
Back