If Apple made a new console.

CastletonSnob

Weaksauce
I know Apple already tried their hand at the console market in the 90s with the Apple Pippin, and it flopped, but do you think they would be more successful if they tried again? Keep in mind that Apple is a MUCH bigger company now than they were back when the Pippin came out, and they have MUCH more money they can put into making a console.

They may have a shot if they don't call it the fucking "Pippen". lol

Would be cool, but I don’t see it ever happening. They only care about mobile gaming. They really need to open up gaming for both the console and the Mac for this to really work.

They already have one, it's the Apple TV. Go into Apple Arcade, grab some games, connect your Xbox Controller via bluetooth and then play games on your TV.
MS needs to get an Xbox Game Pass app for the Apple TV so you can play via Cloud Gaming, their game streaming service that actually works pretty well.

1647202454819.png

Last edited:
but do you think they would be more successful if they tried again?

- Almost certain, not only the brand is much stronger now, but like said just above they would start with a library of mobile title and the coffer to the years leading in to buy title/studio to make exclusive stuff would be completely different now.

- Their ability to sales it to their customer with an active account and previous purchase and make them versus the competition would be quite the edge has well.

- Their development path that used the road, must fit in a thin laptop is quite compatible with the must fit in a small/low noise/low power/high astheatic living room box the consoles went for, at 200-300 watt the and at the high cost apple product can sell the advantage could be quite big.

- It would be an Apple TV with all that come with it at the same time for the Apple ecosystem people, not sure how relevant it is in this smart tv world, but still a plus (considering how terrible apple interface with some smarttv out of the box in my experience).

These days Apple rarely messes around with concepts destined to fail. I don't think they will, but if they DID, I bet it would be successful. I could see them going a Nintendo-like route of not trying to compete with pure horsepower, but instead leveraging something unique. Then again, with their new chips they probably could compete on the high-end, too. I'm over needing multiple consoles, though. I'm happy enough with my PS5 and keeping a Switch around for the rare decent title from Nintendoland. If Apple were to enter the fold, I'd pull for them to bury one of those two.

They already have one, it's the Apple TV. Go into Apple Arcade, grab some games, connect your Xbox Controller via bluetooth and then play games on your TV.
MS needs to get an Xbox Game Pass app for the Apple TV so you can play via Cloud Gaming, their game streaming service that actually works pretty well.

View attachment 453351

This is the problem Apple will always have:

1 They will never put i the effort to grab real dev houses for games people actually want to play ( for permanent exclusives)

2. They never want to lose money on anything (hence why Apple TV is relatively outdated, compared to every other iOS device, while being one of the the most expensive box on the market!)
They also don't include a controller (for the same reason!)

Last edited:
I know Apple already tried their hand at the console market in the 90s with the Apple Pippin, and it flopped, but do you think they would be more successful if they tried again? Keep in mind that Apple is a MUCH bigger company now than they were back when the Pippin came out, and they have MUCH more money they can put into making a console.
They have billions of consoles, why would they make another one?

The problem is dev support.

They have billions of consoles, why would they make another one?

The problem is dev support.
You can already run iOS games on Macs with the M1 chip (if the dev allows it). They have tons of mobile dev support. If they made a console you would be able to run the entire library of iOS games on the console itself. The problem is AAA dev support from well known games, but they wouldn't have a lack of playability upon launch if they decided to make one. But Apple doesn't give a flying crap about the console market because they make more than anyone with their mobile division.

Back