If activation grace period expires, do you get logged off or locked?

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness
Just found out from customer that he procrasinated and didn't order his SBS2003 OEM CD, and he has one day left in the activation grace period. Does anyone know if that expires are you fine as long as you don't logoff? He overnighted one from newegg, but of course its Fri and I'm assuming it won't arrive till Mon. Why is this happeneing you ask? Long story, but hey I'm doing nothing else. Here goes:

*His server crashes (hard drive controller failure)
*Its old anyway so we build new server
*I find out he's been using MSDN SBS2003 in production instead of legit copy
*I tell him he can never go over 5 users and as well its technically not legit
*To get him up right away I use an OEM key from my personal OEM copy but we dont activate
*I tell him we will switch keys via magicjellybean when his OEM arrives and show him how it works
*He procrastinates till last day

Question recap. Will it log him off or shut the server down, etc., or as long as he stays up he's fine?

Basically if the expiration grace period expires, you can continue using until you either log off or reboot. It won't halt or anything, my son-in-law doesn't activate his copy as he formats regualrly but, once it went 5 days past the grace period and not until he rebooted was he forced to activate.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/activation.mspx

IMPORTANT NOTE: The software activation status does not impact the services running on the server. Even if the hardware goes out of tolerance and you are asked to reactivate it, services will continue to run, even if the software is not reactivated. Not activating only limits the ability of a user to log on. Services and remote administration are not affected.

Back