If Abit goes under...

I just got the AN8 Ultra. I don't know why everyone is bashing them. This board, and my last board, the AV8, have all been great. Rock stable boards.

I loved my Abit NF7-S Rev.2, but that is the only Abit board I've ever had. As said before, their newer boards have lost the public's interest.

I don't want to see them go under, rather just pick up the slack and bring out a better board in the future.

Doesn't it seem like every manufacturer has its limelight, but then they are quickly replaced as the top dog after a socket change? The Abit NF7-S is widely regarded as one of (if not) the best K7 motherboards.

Now MSI tends to have the lionshare of the NF3 chips, and DFI of the NF4.

I hardly see anyone with an Abit NF3 or NF4. Oh well.

Menelmarar said:
They do, the AW8 motherboard. Its their current Flagship I blieve. It has 2 ports.

Even still, I've never run across a device that uses fireware, everything uses USB2.0. And why shouldn't it, USB2.0 is faster and much much much more common. I don't think they would be missing much if it wasn't there.
Firewire has lower CPU usage. I'd choose it first for an external hard disk any day (and it's easy to get drives with both USB/1394 interfaces). Sure, I want USB 2.0, but every board already has it, so that's not a standout feature, which was the point of my post; that Abit needs to go further.

As for Firewire devices, iPods, external hard disks, and camcorders all use Firewire. External DVD writers (i.e., Plextor and others) also do, though most would admittedly prefer to go internal for this (including myself). Also makes for good cross-compatibility if you want to use a device with both a PC and a Mac.

Ctrl_Alt_Delete said:
dog on the Fatal1ty line all you want. the 939 one fucking rocks. Abit was also one of the first companies to switch to all japaneese capacitors after that fiasco. they got nailed by that and have never really recovered. i really hope things come around for them.
EDIT: forgot... i also have an NF7, an NF7-s 2.0, and my old BP6 with dual 300A's at 500. long live abit!
I'm not knocking the line of boards for the boards themselves. But, I think they're overpriced, largely because of the sponsorship involved, and I also think there are competetive boards that cost far less. I also think the OTES cooling systems on many of them are gimmicky; they're often unneccessary, or involve small noisy fans more prone to failure than just using 120mm case fans to do a similar job.

If others can offer a product that does as good of a job for less money, the Fatal1ty line loses. It's that simple. Currently, I think that's very possible.

I just got an Abit AN8 board this last week and it is awesome. The look of an Abit board is a lot better than Asus or DFI. The AN8 was so easy to set up and the Guru technology is supurb. The dual OTES fans really help with moving air out from the processor. I am hoping that Abit can recover from this fiasco that they are currently in.

For all the 'old-timers' around here; the BP6 was the board. I still have one working that I voltage modded and had dual Celeron 366@550mhz. Honeslty, with the cost of OEM machines, its hard to convince me into building systems other then for myself. ABIT had its day only because it set itself apart. No name or Reputation will make a product succeed. Like it was said earlier; go back to your roots; Ingenuity.

Happy New Year.
Dale

someone will pick up the assets for pennies on the dollar & bang out product of unknown quality under who knows what name = same as it ever was

I own 5 ABIT motherboards. 3 NF7-S v2.0's, an AV8, and an AN8 SLi board. Never had problems with any of them, and they all run almost 24/7 with 100% CPU load.

A lot of my friends own ABIT boards(new and old), and when used under normal circumstances they are all rock solid.

I will continue to use ABIT till they can't sell me a reliable product with great support.

I hope they continue to sell great products with great support for a long time into the future. ;)

Great company with great people that work for them. :D

i ordered a Fata1ty board yesterday, price doesnt bother me, and i couldnt go with ASUS because of their problem with Antec Neo HE's... hope they recover to..

GML3G0 said:
I just got the AN8 Ultra. I don't know why everyone is bashing them. This board, and my last board, the AV8, have all been great. Rock stable boards.

Amen to that, my AN8 SLI is rocking the house....although in retrospect I may have saved some cash by not getting the SLI since I don't know if I am ever going to use it....but I might....

Now, for those that WANT Abit to go under, that's so silly, we as consumers NEED the competition, or else we end up paying higher prices for less product. We need Abit in the game just as much as we need AMD....

Abit to the bitter end.
Asus is such a noob brand. All the dumbass customers I come across at work either have a "Windows XP" for a computer when I ask them about their computer specifications, or they have an Asus.

I have a wall of shame, a wall of dead mobos... and well most of them are ABIT.

After going thru two P4 mobos a while back, I switched to ASUS for all of my systems and systems I build for other people, havent had an issue mobo based yet.

ABIT was the shit back in the day tho(p2-p3) ;) I just dont think they are quality, they may be 'performance' but I want something to have a lower DOA rate than what I've seen with abit.

pincho said:
i ordered a Fata1ty board yesterday, price doesnt bother me, and i couldnt go with ASUS because of their problem with Antec Neo HE's... hope they recover to..
lemme know when it comes in man. i just got mine all tweaked out. best mobo i own now!

Payne said:
Abit to the bitter end.
Asus is such a noob brand. All the dumbass customers I come across at work either have a "Windows XP" for a computer when I ask them about their computer specifications, or they have an Asus.
You must be a n00b too then, as I doubt you recall the ASUS P2B-F Slot 1 mainboard that was long considered the best 440BX chipset board ever made, back in the latter half of the 90's, or the even earlier ASUS P55T2P4 Socket 7 board, also one of the top two or three boards made in its day.

I have nothing against Abit, but ASUS has been around longer, and has made some great boards. Just because novices have them doesn't make owning one a n00b or a dumbass, and your uninformed comments only make you look like the people you're insulting.

Payne said:

And thus your credibility ended.

I was considering Abit for ym curent build, went MSI, and regret it. this boards been giving me nothing but trouble for the past few months and i CBA to rma it to them and NCIX doesnt carry the thing anymore :(

im gona go with an asrock 939dual-SATA2 for my next board :D (can anyone guess why? :O ) unless i can afford a new CPU and motherboard ANNNND graphics card all at once :p

Back