IE8 Beta first Impressions

Hiltonizer

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/ie8/readiness/Install.htm

I don't recommend installing if you use IE as your primary browser (shame on you anyway). Figured this may be useful to some dev's out there or just the uber-curious.

I got it installed on both a Vista, and XP machine with no problems, XP did want an additional update/validation though before going through the install. Installer is only 11mb, so it is obvious it is meant to be nothing more than an update to IE7. Interface is the same with the exception of a new button that allows all open tabs to be displayed in tiled thumbnail form.

I can also middle mouse click on a link and open in a new tab... yay more Firefox features. Setup also allowed me to easily import all my firefox settings, aswell as recommend extensions for IE that compare with the ones installed on FF.

It seems to render regular pages much faster than 7, almost with firefox like responsiveness. However, still being in beta stage, a handful of the pages i surfed get displayed completely botched. Google maps was funny to look at in it.

Fortunately there is an "Emulate IE7" button right on the main bar, which after hitting than and restarting the browser... its back to IE7 almost transparently.

The button for tab thumbnails is in IE7 as well.

Liike I said in two other IE8 threads though, it starts out fast then progressively gets slower and slower.

Welp, there goes my IE8 installation.. If it's a beta, why wouldn't they install along side.

If you uninstall, does it fully uninstall and restore Ie7 to it's previous state?

I tried reading about this on their IE8 release notes page and couldn't find anything useful.

Welp, there goes my IE8 installation.. If it's a beta, why wouldn't they install along side.

If you uninstall, does it fully uninstall and restore Ie7 to it's previous state?

I tried reading about this on their IE8 release notes page and couldn't find anything useful.

I uninstalled it and it seems to be just fine now.

Back