IE7 / IE8 bookmark date modified bug - ANY IDEAS?

DVDdude

n00b
Ok, I tried IE7 for the first time recently and found a horrible bug that I can't find a reasonable solution to.

It has something to with IE7 (and IE8) updating the URLs "date modified" time stamp if the URL has a favicon.

Example :

goto this URL :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft

Drag the URL to your desktop or any folder. Note the date modified time stamp. A minute later, double click on the URL and let it open. Now look at the time stamp again. It will be automatically updated because this website has a favicon. IE7 will automatically update the date modified time stamp whether you want it to or not.

THIS IS A PAIN IN THE BEHIND if you have lots of URLs sorted by date modified.

The ONLY solution I have found is to change the properties of EVERY URL to "read only". This will prevent the time stamp from being overridden.

There has to be a better way than having to resort to this for every bookmark or URL.

This "feature" of IE7/IE8 really sucks and there should be an option to disable it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm using IE7 and it's not doing what you're saying. The date modified/created/accessed date stays the same every time I reopen it after dragging the link you posted above to the desktop. Are you sure it's not being updated by your anti-virus software?

If you have IE8 set to delete your history/flush the cache every time you exit, that might also be a problem if it has to retrieve the icon every time. Sounds like a KAC problem. ;)

Back