IE7 annoyance. Is there a workaround for this?

PCMusicGuy

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, before IE7 came along I used to browse with multiple windows. Clicking on File->New Window would open a new browser window to the same page you were on. When I click a tab in IE7 I would like it to open with the same window I was on. The only settings I see are "blank page" and home page. Firefox tabs behave the same way and it drives me nuts.

hu, thats strange, when ever i would open up a new window in IE6 (etc) it would just give me a black page.

Anyways a little work around is if you want to say check out a link on that page without loosing the cached info on that page you can either click the link with your center mouse button (opens the LINK in a new tab) or right click and go to "open in new tab."

But that is about all i can think about... sorry i couldnt be more helpful.

Actually, I know about the scroll wheel click to open in a new tab. Firefox does the same thing. I think that IE6 always would open the same page when you opened a new window. IE7 does it too. Hit ALT, you'll see the file menu come up then select New Window. Or even just hit CTRL + N and you'll see that it opens another window on the same page. I just want the new tab button or CTRL + T to work the same way.

In IE7 under Internet Options is a new setting called "Tab Behaivor" or something along those lines, in here you can specify how links are handled in relation to tabs.

I know this. But the ONLY option you have to open tabs is blank page or home page. What I'm looking for will certainly come from some sort of plugin or hack because it's not something standard. Firefox cannot do this either and it's a PITA.

Why would you want to open the same page your on? Just doesn't seem logical in my eyes... But I'm sure you have your reasons. Avant Browser is a shell for IE7 that allows this with CTRL+N. I've used it for the last couple years, my browser of choice.

CTRL+T also opens the current page in a new window...

*snip

CTRL+T also opens the current page in a new window...

No, it does not. There is no setting to make it do this. At least not in standard IE7. The way IE7 works right now is if you open a new browser window it will retain all of your history for that session. If there was a way to make the tabs behave like opening a new window that would be perfect. I don't see why it's not a standard option. Each tab stores its own browsing history already.

Hate to bring an old thread back to life, but I don't think you quite understood what I was trying to say.

Avant Browser (A shell for IE!) allows the use of CTRL+T to do what you want.

After reading through this a few times, and I could be wrong on my understanding, is that the OP wants IE7 to open a duplicate of the tab he's currently on, and he's SOL unless someone magically creates a solution.

Currently, as I've been doing for a few years now, I use Avant instead of vanilla IE, even IE7. Avant is a shell-like add-on for IE that replaces quite a bit of functionality and adds more stuff that should have been part of IE in the first place. Why Microsoft doesn't just fuckin' hire Anderson and put him on the payroll is simply beyond me - he's just one guy that's created more functionality in Avant than a few hundred IE developers has, even years later. With him leading the way, IE would rule, period.

Anyway, Avant offers an option to open a new tab and it becomes an instant duplicate of the one you're currently on. IE7 alone will not do it, not from any testing, tweaking, configuration, or anything else I've noted, so... it looks like this on the options:

duplicatetabiq4.jpg

Avant can do it, vanilla IE7 can't, and Avant is better than vanilla IE anyway.

It might not be the answer the OP wants, but on a technical level since Avant is IE at the core, this is the only way to do what he's hoping to do - at least that's how I read it.

Well, before IE7 came along I used to browse with multiple windows. Clicking on File->New Window would open a new browser window to the same page you were on. When I click a tab in IE7 I would like it to open with the same window I was on. The only settings I see are "blank page" and home page. Firefox tabs behave the same way and it drives me nuts.

What's so difficult about using the 'Back' button and then right-click -> Open in new Window for the link you used to get to the page? That takes all of a second or two to do.

Thanks for the help. I think I'll check out Avant.

And Catweazle, there's nothing difficult about what you suggest. But why click a few times when you can just click once? I'm in an industry that is obsessed with the amount of clicks it takes to navigate screens so I guess they are rubbing off on me. :p Also, because of the browsing style I've developed over the years, if I've read 20 threads from 4 different forums each and I want to go back to one for referencing, it would be easier clicking the new tab button and having multiple tabs with identical browsing history. It's all about working smarter, not harder.

I don't accept that the method I described takes any longer to perform than the method you seek, or that it's any harder. Especially so if, like most people nowadays, there's a 'back' button on the keyboard which you can operate at the same time you are moving the mouse pointrer to position.

Working 'smarter' can be achieved in more than one way. The number of mouse clicks used is simply a statistic. It isn't the be-all and end-all of efficient and effective browsing.

Personally, I'd say to just try using Opera (www.opera.com) and use the shortcut "Ctrl + Shift + Alt + N" to open a new tab with the same site that you're on.

Or one click with Avant.

'Nuff typed.

Efficiency wins out over complication every single time. There are times when I am reading a thread, or about to make a post of some kind and think, "Damn, where's that snippet of <whatever>" and I do a single click and wham, there's what I want in another tab.

Avant really is the hidden gem of browsers, more people should spend time at least checking it out if they are either "stuck" with IE (corporate environments that have to use IE for ActiveX reasons, etc. - there are many), or simply choose to use vanilla IE over other browsers.

Avant is IE at the core, uses the same core IE components, but it's faster than vanilla IE (it really is) and offers more functionality in a 1.6MB download than even Opera does after a clean install. Amazing stuff Anderson Che has created with this browser and it seems to get better all the time.

But I digress... K.I.S.S. - an acronym to live by...

Just a comment about Avant. I just downloaded it today. Works well and I believe I'll like using it.

bbz_Ghost, I was doubtful of your screenshot showing "New Window" options but I can in fact option new tabs by double clicking in the tab portion and even better is that it's on the current window. :) Apparently Avant treats windows and tabs with the same setting unlike IE7.

I'm not sure if it's possible in IE7 but all you need is an extension to do it in Firefox. It's called Tabbrowser Preferences and you can find it here. All it does is add some functionality to the tab options in Firefox, one of which is the ability to load the current page into new tabs.

Okay, Avant is only 50% of the way there. It can open a new tab to the current window but it does NOT retain the browsing history in the new tab. :( Looks like I'll have to give Firefox a try on this matter.

Ok, you just crossed into... The Twilight Zone, aka "I'm entirely too picky for my own damned good." :)

Okay, Avant is only 50% of the way there. It can open a new tab to the current window but it does NOT retain the browsing history in the new tab. :( Looks like I'll have to give Firefox a try on this matter.

Oh, you want the browsing history as well? Sorry, Tabbrowser Preferences doesn't copy that. Looks like you'll need to code your own extension.

Suggest you also explore IE7 extensions, in case there is one of those which meets your rather detailed demands.

Do you really think I'm being that picky, lol? Think back before the days of browsing with tabs. I, for one, used multiple window browsing ALL of the time. I thought that tabbed browsing would just be like a nested window arrangement but it doesn't appear to work that way at all. I can live without the feature but I sure would like to have my cake and eat it too. :D

Do you really think I'm being that picky, lol? Think back before the days of browsing with tabs. I, for one, used multiple window browsing ALL of the time. I thought that tabbed browsing would just be like a nested window arrangement but it doesn't appear to work that way at all. I can live without the feature but I sure would like to have my cake and eat it too. :D

Ah-ha, found an extension that seems tailor-made for you (for Firefox at least):

Duplicate Tab - "Duplicate Tab allows you to clone a tab with its history and place the duplicate tab in a new window or in the current window. And it allows you to merge all tabs from different windows in one window."

Back