IE6 opens typed addresses in Firefox/Opera

donut

n00b
So the problem. Any addresses typed into Internet Explorer 6's address bar are opened in the default browser (Firefox or Opera on my system, I tested making both default). And it will not allow me to set IE6 as the default browser. The home page in IE6 is google.com so I tried doing a search, which worked, but it seems if you browse too long just using links it will open up 69 IE6 windows and then open up the default browser (Firefox/Opera).

This even happens in Safe Mode. There are no new process that are running and no known recent changes that would cause this.

Any ideas?

You have Firefox and Opera? Windows is probably confused. A triangle tug-o-war perhaps?

Seems strange that you're still using IE6 with two third-party browsers installed. If I bought a Lamborghini and a Ferrari, I certainly wouldn't be driving the '92 Toyota I inherited from my dad.

Well, you aren't a web developer are you? :D

I'm a web developer. I actually have Opera, Firefox, IE6 normal install and IE7 standalone. If I had my way I'd only be using Firefox.

Actually I am. Nothing major, but I try.

Seems like you've put a bunch of browsers in a bag and shook it up. Not sure how to force it. Maybe one of these days someone will improve upon the IE Tab extension to where you can select all the different browsers without having to install the browsers themselves.

Well, I've been running all of these browsers for ages without a hiccup. It's only in the last day that this problem has cropped up.

Tools > Internet Options > Programs .... Select the box near the bottom that says "Internet Explorer should check and see if it is the default browser"

Should fix your problem. Keyword is "should" ;)

I already know about that. I tried that and it refuses to check if it's the default browser, it is not. And I don't want it to be (except for troubleshooting reasons). The problem isn't that links I open outside of a browser open in Firefox/Opera, it is that links I type inside of IE's address bar open in Firefox/Opera.

Hmm then that is weird. Try installing IE7?

That's not an option. My Korean fiance is using the computer and she needs to have IE6 for Korean sites. Koreans are basically tied to IE6 because of activex stuff.

It's clear that one or two browsers still think they're default, otherwise links would open in the browser in which you type them.

So none of the other browsers are checked to always check if they're the default, and none of them are checked to be the default? You are absolutely certain that it isn't a software setting?

have you tried checking file extensions? For instance:

My Computer -> Tools menu - > Folder Options

now select the File Types tab. Check to make sure the extensions you're using, such as .html .htm .asp etc. all point to IE6

I'm not sure I've been clear. When you're inside a browser whatever you type in should only open in that browser. It should never open in another browser. Also, after the page has opened in Firefox/Opera IE6 changes to google.com.

I am not opening files on my computer, I am not opening links from a non-browser program. I am typing links into the address bar of IE6. That should never go to a different browser.

It seems to be a virus.

We understand that links you're typing in IE are causing Firefox or Opera to open with the page instead.

I don't think it's a virus, but it could easily be spyware. Could your fiance have been clicking on suspicious links or pages?

There's only one page that she visited with IE6 when this problem started, and it is definitely not questionable (a Korean site). And she installed Windows Media Player 11 which, I think, was already installed. I guess I'll have to install some anti-spyware stuff. I'm not terribly anxious to go into troubleshooting windows again.

Oh, no. I just meant that as an explanation for me not naming the site. I usually trust Korean sites less.

This happened to me once when trying IE7 without installing it.

I found that the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{c90250f3-4D7D-4991-9b69-a5c5bc1c2ae6}" key in the registry was causing the problem. I removed it and all was well.

A few other things you can try:

1. If this happen only in the last coupler days, use System Restore to go back to whatever change this behaviour

2. Uninstall all other browser, test it and reinstall them again. hopefully (i doubt it) it will reset itself somehow

This happened to me once when trying IE7 without installing it.

I found that the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{c90250f3-4D7D-4991-9b69-a5c5bc1c2ae6}" key in the registry was causing the problem. I removed it and all was well.

This worked! Thanks so much. And thank you to every one else who helped me troubleshoot.

Back