IE + Temporary Internet Files problem..

Ry-00

Weaksauce
Hi,

Just recently i have been getting a lot of IE problems. Such as unexpected crashing or "not responding" errors. For some reason IE isn't as stable as it was before. I'm not quite sure what i did to cause these crashes or unstability.

I did notice if my "Temporary Internet Files" folder reached the designated limit i set for the "amount of disk space to use" in Tools\Internet Options\Settings for example, a size of "50MB" it would cause my IE to load up and freeze and then finally "not responding". If i clear the junk in "Temporary Internet Files" under C:\Documents and Settings\*USER*\Local Settings, my IE 6 would be normal again being fast and responsive. Currently i have it set at 100MB but if it reaches that amount again i would run into the same poblem.

Does anyone know why this is happening to me all of a sudden? I remember before setting the "amount of disk space to use" to like 10-20MB and it would browse fine no problems at all. I didn't recall before clearing my TIF folder everytime it freeze just to temporary fix it.

I'm pretty sure this isn't spyware related since i run and clean with these tools...

Ad-Aware
Spybot S+D
Spy Sweeper
CWShredder.exe
SpywareBlaster
TrojanHunter

The scan are mostly clean maybe 1 or 2 bad cookies.

I also have a hosts file which i downloaded from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt to block off unwanted parasites/ad-aware. It's doing the job but it's a little slow probably because of the big filter list.

EDIT: Sorry, i meant i replace the hosts file i downloaded back to the original hosts file and there's still unstability or crashes.

I never tried "ipconfig /flushdns"? What is this and would i need to run it and reboot? From hosts thread i read i can disable DNS service for XP Pro? Would this be related to my problem?

Firstly- what do you mean by removing the hosts file? Do you just move/rename it or you do move/rename and then do a ipconfig /flushdns or reboot?

Next- try hijackthis. It looks a little more at different parts of the browser itself than some of the others you've mentioned you use already. Post logs if need be.

Back