IE sucks!!!!!

shroomiin

Gawd
Does ANYBODY like internet explorer? Even version 10 sucks!

I would change just about everything about IE if I could... I cannot fathom how anybody can possibly like this browser. Even worse why is it the industry standard???

Now I know somebody is going to say "but it's more secureeee". WHO CARES? What is "secure" in browser terms anyway? You mean it won't display most content and will prompt me a million times for every little thing?

Not only is it slow, how many times have you had a user call you because they can't log in to another company's "portal"? Almost never will IE just work with "secure" web apps. So sick of messing with IE's advanced settings and internet zone bullshit my go to answer is now....... "just use chrome"....... "just use firefox" :rolleyes:

/endrant!

Can't say I've had a problem with IE from version 8+. It's a nice browser. I use Chrome, and prefer it, but when I have to use IE, I haven't had a single problem at all. Even with secure web apps.

In the office environment the only version that I know to work on all web sites is IE8. I've had to roll back quite a few Windows 7 machines to IE8 because 9 and 10 have problems on some web sites.

If someone wants to use chrome in the office I'm totally ok with it.

From IE7 and up, I haven't really found any major issues with it. I use IE10 actively with both Chrome and Firefox, and I think it's a solid browser.

I'm always very displeased when a developer comes to me and says 'we should just not support IE, because the application won't work right in IE and it will be impossible to make it work. Plus nobody uses IE anyways', because 1.) a large number of business users like and use IE, and 2.) after a brief amount of micromanagement, it usually comes down to them being lazy/not trying hard enough.

I've had to roll back quite a few Windows 7 machines to IE8 because 9 and 10 have problems on some web sites.
You can change IE10's rendering engine for problematic sites. It supports all the way back to IE7 mode.

IE10 rendering msn.com in IE8 mode:

XRNNw2l.png

Yes, msn.com reverts to the old layout and format if it detects you're using IE8 or earlier...

I'm always very displeased when a developer comes to me and says 'we should just not support IE, because the application won't work right in IE and it will be impossible to make it work. Plus nobody uses IE anyways', because 1.) a large number of business users like and use IE, and 2.) after a brief amount of micromanagement, it usually comes down to them being lazy/not trying hard enough.

You seem like the kind of fellow who would expect a WebGL app to work in IE6.

Meh... IE9/10/11 are A LOT better than most people give them credit for. I'm a chrome -> IE11 -> firefox guy...

firefox.. what happened to you?

I agree, IE is a terrible operating system, my favorite is Photoshop.

I'm a chrome and FF user myself, but I have the opposite experience with IE: generally I encounter site specific errors with ff
and/or chrome, but IE allows me to accomplish what I need to in the proper way.

I notice IE is ever so slightly slower, but not in any way that really impacts my experience.

The first decent version of IE was 7 or 8. 9 really took a leap forward. 11 is blazing fast.

All my systems at work have IE on them because it's easy to manage with Group Policy and patch through WSUS. To an end-user, there's really not a whole lot of difference between IE and other browsers other than personal preference.

All that said, I think the most important thing to take away from this is not that IE is good or bad, but that Microsoft has finally taken an honest interest in making IE a good browser.

All my systems at work have IE on them because it's easy to manage with Group Policy and patch through WSUS.
That's something a lot of people seem to forget. Both Firefox and Chrome lack active directory manageability.

If one or the other would adopt AD integration, we'd start looking at rolling them out. Without that feature they're a non-starter in our environment.

EA forced me to make IE my default browser because I use Opera and BF3 plugin won't work with Opera. Also, I used to use IE with ActiveX filtering active and that stops their plugin from working so they have lowered my security in IE too. . :mad:

I use it as a secondary browser fairly often, and IE10 is OK. I wouldn't ditch Chrome for it, but I can see that many users wouldn't have problems using IE as a primary browser.

If one or the other would adopt AD integration, we'd start looking at rolling them out. Without that feature they're a non-starter in our environment.
Yup, Chrome has enterprise support to some degree, but I don't like constantly upgrading my software or having to work over MSI's to disable auto update shit. IE just works after you install it and with a few clicks you can configure it and active-x controls to work exactly as you want.

I think a lot of people who don't work in an enterprise think that you run PC's like they do at home. They run Chrome or Firefox on their home computer and think it's lame to run IE at work, but they're not in the situation to understand everything that goes on in a business and how many hundreds or thousands of computers you need to install, update and configure, then on top of that the per user settings that cannot be applied per computer. I pull magic out of my hat with GP to get stuff like iTunes, QuickTime, Flash, etc to run on hundreds of PC's the way I want it. I don't want to add to the complicity if I don't have to. IE is perfect for that.

I have issues with IE 9 wasn't bad but 10 is terrible. I can't even keep track of how many times the piece of shit crashes on me daily.
Fucking IE 10 crashes on Exchange 2013 administration page.. I rather sodomize myself with a barbed wire baseball bat.

I like the scaling in IE 11 goto 125% if other browers were 64 bit I would use those.
Whatever you do don't use the IE on the front of Metro that think is wack.

I have issues with IE 9 wasn't bad but 10 is terrible. I can't even keep track of how many times the piece of shit crashes on me daily.
Fucking IE 10 crashes on Exchange 2013 administration page.. I rather sodomize myself with a barbed wire baseball bat.

That's what I'm talkin about... feel for ya man

It is the worst operating system ever, down with microsoft.....

Agreed but I don't think we would ever in a million years see OSX or some revision of Linux become industry standard. The mindless office drones (accouning, sales, HR etc) are all too accustomed to Windows

You can change IE10's rendering engine for problematic sites. It supports all the way back to IE7 mode.

IE10 rendering msn.com in IE8 mode:

Yes, msn.com reverts to the old layout and format if it detects you're using IE8 or earlier...

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that in the future before reverting a user back to IE8.

IE SUCKS!!!! It did not block me from getting to this stupid thread!!! :D All the browsers are good, I like having the choice.

was using Firefox for awhile but got back into IE with version 9...Firefox has really become too bloated and Chrome has some small issues that make it un-usable for me..I like and use IE9

EA forced me to make IE my default browser because I use Opera and BF3 plugin won't work with Opera. Also, I used to use IE with ActiveX filtering active and that stops their plugin from working so they have lowered my security in IE too. . :mad:

The web plugins work fine with firefox, no need to use IE or God forbid, lower it's already horrible 'security'.

Yup, Chrome has enterprise support to some degree, but I don't like constantly upgrading my software or having to work over MSI's to disable auto update shit. IE just works after you install it and with a few clicks you can configure it and active-x controls to work exactly as you want.

I think a lot of people who don't work in an enterprise think that you run PC's like they do at home. They run Chrome or Firefox on their home computer and think it's lame to run IE at work, but they're not in the situation to understand everything that goes on in a business and how many hundreds or thousands of computers you need to install, update and configure, then on top of that the per user settings that cannot be applied per computer. I pull magic out of my hat with GP to get stuff like iTunes, QuickTime, Flash, etc to run on hundreds of PC's the way I want it. I don't want to add to the complicity if I don't have to. IE is perfect for that.

I'd say that running IE + flash + iTunes + Quicktime combo is about the ultimate in my 'do not do' list of things on windows :D

The web plugins work fine with firefox, no need to use IE or God forbid, lower it's already horrible 'security'.

LOL, do people actually still think Internet Explorer is insecure?

I have an older computer. IE crashes constantly.
I haven't had IE crash on me in a very long time (unlike FF which does crash after leaving it open for a week). Add-ons or other computer problems are almost certainly to blame.

LOL, do people actually still think Internet Explorer is insecure?

Yep. The latest release of IE may be sort of secure on default settings - but then again it won't let you do much anything and nagging from whatever you choose to do.

Plus the interface is a cluster fuck nowadays. Can't stand it.

Yep. The latest release of IE may be sort of secure on default settings - but then again it won't let you do much anything and nagging from whatever you choose to do.

What's insecure about it, though? Does it have some architectural flaw that makes it vulnerable to a heap buffer overflow, etc.? What specifically about it is insecure? I want real, concise, specific, technical examples of how IE is insecure compared to other browsers.

Nobody seems to be able to answer that question. It's like asking someone why SQL cursors are bad. Everybody will tell you that IE is insecure, because they've heard other people saying that for years, but nobody you ask will be able to explain why. It's an old world belief, and it stems from when IE was integrated with the Windows shell, so finding an IE vulnerability was more valuable than finding a Firefox vulnerability, for example. Now that it's completely standalone, none of that applies, yet you still hear people saying "it's insecure" with no knowledge to support that claim.

Additionally, the security of your browser is largely irrelevant if you're not doing other, more important things first. If you're worried about security, stop logging into your computer as an admin, and then it won't matter what browser you're using.

i was an ie hater until 8 came out, then i was like okay its still terrible but its not unusable. I think 10 is flat out awesome and actually use it over everything but opera

I could list dozens of sites that just won't work on IE and hundreds that have issues with it.

We use a webapp in the company I work for. Everyone that uses it have switched to Chrome becuase of the problems with IE.

I could list dozens of sites that just won't work on IE and hundreds that have issues with it.

Sure, but that doesn't mean anything. I could write a web application that works on IE, but doesn't work on Chrome if you'd like. Of course, that's just indicative that the web site/web app was poorly developed, not that there's necessarily anything wrong with IE.

There are also plenty of websites/web apps that don't work right in Firefox and/or Chrome that work just fine in IE. There's even more that work in all 3.

Care to name just a couple?

HSBC bank has a tutorial so I can use IE9 and up to access my account. I can use Chrome without a problem.

We have a pro-vision DVR and I can't watch the cameras with IE8 or later. Can't use chrome either since it uses an ActiveX applet.

Back