IE 8 "blacked out" favorites bar

dbthump

Limp Gawd
IEbrowserissue.jpg

Anyone have any idea what's going one with this? If I reboot it goes away.

Try deleting all of the add-ons then updating to IE 8. Plus, you don't need google toolbar now days. Almost funny to see someone using it.

running XP I assume? I have constant issues with this on my work machine (xp pro). I'm not real certain what causes it, but I've never seen it with vista or 7

I used to get this a lot. Sometimes resetting IE's settings would fix it. Sometimes I'd have to reinstall IE. But, it'd always come back after a bit. Restarting would indeed fix it, but only for a second.

I asked about this on the IE MS newgroup and no one has been able to figure out what causes it, not even the IE team. The problem is all over the net with no real solutions. There are reg fixes etc., but none of them really helped.

I haven't had the problem in a while though, but the last time I had it, it went away completely right after I defragged my hard drive (in WinXP). That might suggest that some of IE's files were severely fragmented to the point that it was causing enough of a delay in the UI to cause severe painting issues or parts of the skin to not load.

Of course, I always figured it was file corruption and the defrag helping was just coincidence. But, not really sure.

I've seen a similar issue (transparent favorite and tab bar) caused by faulty or fake (malware) add-ons.

That used to happen to me. I just restarted it and it worked fine, like you said. Never really figured out what was causing it. Personally I hate IE. I'd get another browser like Firefox, Chrome, or Opera. :)

Go into the Advanced options and just reset all the settings. Also uninstall all that toolbar crap :D

Back