• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

id's Rage discussion

I really wish iD could make a comeback to their glory days. It just feels like they're way too focused on pretty and not really giving a crap about substance.

This is honestly the first I have seen of Rage, it looks incredible, but everything I seen in there I went "Hrrm, looks like Borderlands...hrrm that also, hrrrm that too".

Now sure, you can only have so much deviation in a post apocalyptic society but everything felt and looked spot on with Borderlands entire backdrop.

I really wish they would come out with kind of a throwback game before all the jump pads got added. miss quake2 badly
 
id hasn't really made a decent game in over a decade. The last good game they made was Quake 3 in 1999. Doom 3 was a pretty big let down and their farming out of Quake 4 had pretty lack luster results as well. Quake Wars sucked, the last Wolfenstein game sucked. I realize that id didn't have direct involvement in the latter, but it sucked none the less. One could argue their lack of involvement in their IP's makes them far worse than even the more recent lack luster games made by id themselves.

Hopefully Rage will be good, but I'll remain skeptical until I see more.

I don't think Doom 3 was a complete letdown, the gameplay was predictable but I sure as hell remember having fun with the single player campaign. Sure only worth one play through but that's still better than most shooters these days.

Still would like to see something the caliber of Quake 3 but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Most people that played Q3 are "old people" now and younger people have no idea what the hell they are missing :(
 
I don't think Doom 3 was a complete letdown, the gameplay was predictable but I sure as hell remember having fun with the single player campaign. Sure only worth one play through but that's still better than most shooters these days.

Still would like to see something the caliber of Quake 3 but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Most people that played Q3 are "old people" now and younger people have no idea what the hell they are missing :(

Well it wasn't a complete let down. It looked good and if you had the hardware to run it at the time, it was a decent game. It was worth a play through or two but that's about it. I actually liked the expansion pack for it much better than the actual game.
 
Personally I loved Doom 3, no it wasn't like the first two but I found it to be a lot of fun and very atmospheric. I played through it 3 times which is the most I have replayed any recent single player game.

Does anyone else want to see a new Quake? I pray to the gaming gods that we get Quake 5, and that its a modern version of Quake 2. That would be a dream come true for me :p
 
Personally I loved Doom 3, no it wasn't like the first two but I found it to be a lot of fun and very atmospheric. I played through it 3 times which is the most I have replayed any recent single player game.

Does anyone else want to see a new Quake? I pray to the gaming gods that we get Quake 5, and that its a modern version of Quake 2. That would be a dream come true for me :p

For me the only really good Quake game was the first one. I didn't care for the second one all that much. I thought the Strogg were always seriously lame rip offs of the Borg. Now from a multiplayer perspective Quake 3 was the pinnacle of the series. Quake 4's multiplayer was pretty much the same thing with updated graphics, but that wasn't enough to make me play it. Judging by how the game was generally received I wasn't alone in thinking that.
 
Yeah I never played the first Quake, I've heard it's the best one. I was about 14 when I played Quake 2 and thought it was such a cool game, it was really the first FPS that I played online and I remember having such a great time with the multiplayer. Q3A was great too, nothing like a fast paced twitch shooter to test reflex and skill. I really enjoyed the Q4 multiplayer as well, but it never got very popular. It is such a shame the twitch shooters aren't popular anymore, I tire of all this COD style gaming that most people play now... But then again, if I went back to playing Q3A I'd have to dig out my 65 pound 22" CRT to be competitive :)

I wonder if there is a way to play the original Quake on a modern PC. I'll have to look into it.
 
The best way to play Quake on a modern PC is, in my opinion, DirectQ, which is actually a mildly-enhanced but sensible Direct3D port.
 
I don't think Doom 3 was a complete letdown, the gameplay was predictable but I sure as hell remember having fun with the single player campaign. Sure only worth one play through but that's still better than most shooters these days.

Still would like to see something the caliber of Quake 3 but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Most people that played Q3 are "old people" now and younger people have no idea what the hell they are missing :(

Doom 3 was a cheap scare fest. It was cool as shit in terms of graphics but the game play was completely recycled and rehased. You have to expect more from a company like Id , they set the standard for FPS games so they should still be trying to innovate..

Instead they focus on engine technology and really are now at this point an engine farming company , living off the profit of leasing the engine to other developers.

Rage really doesn't seem like anything new , it looks pretty awesome and the iphone/ipad game was pretty fun (despite being an on rails shooter).

Most of the previews I read are gushing about how amazing it looks on consoles and really not a whole lot about the game play and story ..

I'm at the point now as a gamer were graphics are nice but they don't hold a single fucking candle to game play. I want games that are not only fun to play and look at but aren't constantly being recycled. I'm sick of buying games I know won't impress me in innovation because I'm bored and want something else to play.

I would love for Id to make Rage something that really holds a candle to the effort they use to make in the past. But it doesn't seem like thats going to happen ..at all.

Quake was ages ago Id , do something new and stop making trash.
 
Absolutely amazing trailer! Looks great and action packed! Can't wait for it to come out!
 
Still would like to see something the caliber of Quake 3 but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Most people that played Q3 are "old people" now and younger people have no idea what the hell they are missing :(

Ha, I wouldn't consider myself old, I'm just lucky I was introduced to hardcore PC gaming before consoles ruined everything. I grew up playing Q3 and UT '99.
 
Ha, I wouldn't consider myself old, I'm just lucky I was introduced to hardcore PC gaming before consoles ruined everything. I grew up playing Q3 and UT '99.

I'm 21 and my PC gaming started with Quake, Hexen and Duke3D and then I moved onto UT99/Quake for multi and the rest is history. I remember getting Duke3D for Christmas the year it came out, I think I was like 7 or 8. :D

I was the only kid who's PC could play cool games everyone else was just playing their SNES/Genesis.
 
Quake was ages ago Id , do something new and stop making trash.
Uh...Rage is new. They haven't exactly pulled a 180 with Rage, but it's a definite 90 degree turn for a company that's historically only made (at most) 45 degree turns.
 
People mention Doom 3 as the *bad* ID game.

Let me refresh your brain of the shit that was Q2. Compare Q2 with Half-Life, both came out the same year, the differense is huge between them. You could probably finish off Q2 with the double barrel shotgun all through to the end. Level design of Q2 feels like Doom 1/2 level design, does not make sense at all except perhaps the slaughterhouse level. Compare level design of Q2 to HL1.

Dont get me started on Q1, you should go back read the original concept of Q1 and how it turned out. No doubt ID had some great ideas even back then, but even in 1996 they delivered shit IMHO.

It was clear long ago ID lost basic concept of making a fun game. Fuck them, Crysis 1 crushes anything made by ID!
 
Compare Q2 with Half-Life, both came out the same year, the differense is huge between them.
Half-Life came out nearly a year after Quake 2. There was a huge difference between the two because they're...different games.

Dont get me started on Q1...they delivered shit IMHO. ...Crysis 1 crushes anything made by ID!
Uh.
 
Those Rage landscapes look like friggin moving concept drawings... :eek:

definitely looking forward to exploring the terrain

Quake 1 was my favorite iD game so far, but I think a large part of that was the wicked nin soundtrack/soundeffects... really loved the nightmarish atmosphere and gritty art style of that game.

Yeah, I remember the original description of Quake was something like an RPG or somethin' (I think they had that as part of a Keen ending screen?) so maybe they decided to try and keep things simple from then on, who knows...
 
I wish Carmack would shut up he sounds like a pompus windbag. All he does is talk his company hasn't made shit in a long time. His engines aren't that spectacular either mainly because they can't handle outdoors very well, EPIC has had the engine game for a long time now with Crytek and other talents available ID stuff is dated and obsolete.

He should just stick to making cell phone games. Carmacks ego is the size of the good year blimp that company seased to be of relevance A LONG TIME AGO.
 
I saw a live demo at E3 last year. The thing that struck me is that aside from looking gorgeous, it never EVER dropped below 60fps. You could turn a corner from a close interior to a big wide exterior, no hitch in framerate. You would walk past a pipe with steam shooting out of it and clouding your view, no hitch in framerate.

I'm used to games with that level of visual quality hitching or temporarily slowing at some point when something happens, but Rage never slowed once.

The scary part, the demo was on a frigging XBox 360.

I have no idea what black magic Carmack did to make it do that, but I can say that online videos really don't convey the experience of seeing it live.
 
It's id damnit :)

Also, what the hell is with saying Q1-2 were shit games? Q2 singleplayer was obviously shit, the multiplayer was quite good. Q1, to me, is a gem of that fps era. Now, Q3 I thought was shit, but only because I'm an UT99 fanboy.
 
It's id damnit :)

Also, what the hell is with saying Q1-2 were shit games? Q2 singleplayer was obviously shit, the multiplayer was quite good. Q1, to me, is a gem of that fps era. Now, Q3 I thought was shit, but only because I'm an UT99 fanboy.

I loved all the Quake games back in the day. Fast paced gameplay made me happy

I'm excited to see how rage pans out
 
I wish Carmack would shut up he sounds like a pompus windbag. All he does is talk his company hasn't made shit in a long time. His engines aren't that spectacular either mainly because they can't handle outdoors very well, EPIC has had the engine game for a long time now with Crytek and other talents available ID stuff is dated and obsolete.

He should just stick to making cell phone games. Carmacks ego is the size of the good year blimp that company seased to be of relevance A LONG TIME AGO.

wtf are you talking about he's actually really humble, if you don't like his games that's fine, but to insult his character like this is uncalled for especially when it's completely unfounded.
 
I just want Doom 4. If id could make a modern Doom with the classic feel... it would be the greatest PC game ever made.
 
I wish Carmack would shut up he sounds like a pompus windbag. All he does is talk his company hasn't made shit in a long time. His engines aren't that spectacular either mainly because they can't handle outdoors very well, EPIC has had the engine game for a long time now with Crytek and other talents available ID stuff is dated and obsolete.

He should just stick to making cell phone games. Carmacks ego is the size of the good year blimp that company seased to be of relevance A LONG TIME AGO.
Carmack is pretty much a technical genius. Most of the things he talks about are engine-related, and he really knows his stuff. Don't criticize him unless you actually know better (which is very unlikely).
 
I wish Carmack would shut up he sounds like a pompus windbag. All he does is talk his company hasn't made shit in a long time. His engines aren't that spectacular either mainly because they can't handle outdoors very well, EPIC has had the engine game for a long time now with Crytek and other talents available ID stuff is dated and obsolete.

He should just stick to making cell phone games. Carmacks ego is the size of the good year blimp that company seased to be of relevance A LONG TIME AGO.

Just because your tiny brain can't understand what Carmack is saying, doesn't mean he's a "pompus windbag".
 
Carmack a pompous windbag? lmao he has done more in his 40ish years than you'll ever do dude. All the call of duty windbags should praise him because he is the father of the fps and if not for him you guys probably wouldn't exist. Carmack was responsible for the biggest hits of the 90s and early 00s and his engines have driven a plethora of games since. Quake 2, 3, and even 4, are genuine classics with engines that can't be recreated. There is a certain feel to a carmack fps, and im sure any ID fan would agree with me on that.
 
The Carmack worshipers sure came out in force. He is brilliant I have to give him that, but the hater is partially correct though. Carmack has not really been relevant to PC gaming for a while now. iD's engines fell to the wayside a long time ago. The likes of Unreal, Source, and in house solutions are what is found in most games these days, not Tech anything. Some people are looking at the past with rose colored glasses. With all of his other interests, what does Carmack do at iD these days outside of being a mouth piece?
 
John is still technical director at id. Whenever he finishes work on one platform, he starts working on the next. id's official 'mouthpiece' is actually CEO Todd Hollenshead (really nice guy).
 
The Carmack worshipers sure came out in force. He is brilliant I have to give him that, but the hater is partially correct though. Carmack has not really been relevant to PC gaming for a while now. iD's engines fell to the wayside a long time ago. The likes of Unreal, Source, and in house solutions are what is found in most games these days, not Tech anything. Some people are looking at the past with rose colored glasses. With all of his other interests, what does Carmack do at iD these days outside of being a mouth piece?

If you're going to agree with the hater, at least understand what he said, not what you interpret he said.
 
Back
Top