idle CPU temp at 53C....help!!!!

Hustle

n00b
Joined
Feb 15, 2004
Messages
6
Hey everyone,
I am new here and have a question about cpu temp. I have a P4 2.6(800fsb and HT) and a p4pE-X mobo with stock HSF. When running at stock speed my machine would lock up after a few minutes of use. I installed ASUS probe and saw that my idle CPU temp was 53C and mobo temp was 20C. Does anyone know why my cpu temp would be so high and what I can do about it? I know I can buy more fans, but is something wrong? any info would be appreciated.
thanks,
Hustle
 
Make sure the fan is spinning, make sure there's not a lot of dust in the heatsink fins, make sure it's properly seated (re-seat it anyway with some good thermal goop).

Get a better HSF?

Cheers,

Mr. Pain
 
well, It has a very thin spread of thermal paste...should I really pile it on?
 
yeah, and thats what I have. my roomate has a 2.4 P4 and it idles at 30c. can it be a bad cpu? It freezes at stock speed.
 
Yeah reseat it. If your roomate built his system maybe he should help you out.
 
Put a BB sized thing of thermal paste in the middle, then put on the heatsink. If you spread it, you will have air bubbles, which will cause high temps.
 
Back
Top