Idiot needs help !!!

Well,after sitting here wondering why my newer Ultima 90i's are not cooling properly it occured to me that maybe,just maybe they were not mounted properly....

So,I need to know,before I rip two new builds apart to fix what may noy be broken can someone here tell me what the O-Ring is for in this diagram and what it does ? I know I did not install them properly,and I think that one of them on the four corners was not installed at all.What do they do ? and would the lack of them in a mounting install for a U90I explain a 8 to 10 celsius rise in idle temps ? :eek: Instead of putting them on the 775 Pillar,I simply placed them on the mobo,laid the backplate on top,and then slid the pillars into the mounting plate holes,held on for dear life,flipped it over and placed the 775 bracket mount on,then proceeded to frustrate myself to NO end,by trying to screw in the bracket mounts,as of course the o-rings kept dutifully falling off and onto the floor. :eek:

This in a Asus PBK-E with Q6600 g0,in a new Lian Li PC65B with 2 80mm 36cfm panaflos in front(on high) a 80mm stock case fan in back,and a few Vantec 80/92/120mm adapters on the way + 92mm Zalman F2's,so that I can mount some higher rpm/cfm 92mm's in the back and top blow hole,should help,but I still somewhat confounded at the huge rise in cpu temps.The sink that was on this chip before was a Thermaltake V1.It gave me idles of 39c and loads of 65c with p95 25.4 blends.

I have re mounted three times,in two days,and re cleaned the cpu,re apllied with AS5 and ICD7,temps have gone from idles of 55c to 52c to finally 49c,all with the same ambients.

Help !!

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1233287

Read into that a bit.

I'm referring mainly to airflow in the case.

Basically the same problem but it was caused by different reasons.

What I'm getting is you did something to your computer, before it the temps were A to B, after it they were a much higher X to Y. Is that the case?

If so, what did you do?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1233287

What I'm getting is you did something to your computer, before it the temps were A to B, after it they were a much higher X to Y. Is that the case?

If so, what did you do?

Thing is I did not remove or attempt removal of my IHS. But anyway here goes...

Changes include heatsink from a V1 to a Tr U90I with Scythe Minebea NMB Silent IC 120mm Case Fan @ 1900 RPM + Lian Li PC65B + second Raptor X

Yes,as at first temps were 39 39 / 41 41 (ambients around 22c) with AS5 (applied exactly as per Arctic Silvers website for a quad core.

It had a Thermaltake V1 on high (2160 rpm/83 CFM,38Db) installed 3 days ago on the same mobo,now it has a Thermalright U90I + S-Flex 1900rpm 120mm fan on it.I am getting idle temps of 48 to 51c for the four cores now,loads under P95 25.4 Blend,are around 75 75 / 71 72,but,the chip is stable as a rock.I'm just shocked at the huge jump in temps,my god is this case's airflow that bad !??.... and wondering what the fuck the 0-Rings do as well....as I did not install them properly,I am sure.

I have others here(Ultima 90i's),and one of them performs worse then this one !! idles around 58 58 60 60~ ! loads in the mid to high 80's :eek: No matter what I do with it.btw
the two that are performing badly,have not been lapped like the one on my main system.

So it happened out of the blue, you didn't make any type of changes to it? You just turned it on one day and noticed that the temps were way higher then normal?

So it happened out of the blue, you didn't make any type of changes to it? You just turned it on one day and noticed that the temps were way higher then normal?

The only thing that is different is the sink and fan and case,I cannot imagine that the Raptor X's would cause this huge jump in temps... The old case had a 120MM(1800rpm) in front for intake,a 120mm (1800rpm) exhuast in the back,and a 92mm(1400rpm) on the side for intake.

I thought these Lian Li alu cases ran cooler then steel ? Is this not the case (pun intended!) :eek: The old case,BTW,was a Thermaltake Soprano.

This Lian Li has more fans (4) but they are all 80mm :( One in the back(exhaust) behind the U90I,one on top (exhaust) and two (intake) in front of the Raptor X's.Addding a spotcool on high,blowing on the ram and temp sensors,lowered case temps 3 c and cpu
temps 1-2 c.

The wiring in the new case is not perfect,but pretty good.I dont have any real obstructions
except for the HD power cable,and two right angle SATA cables plugged into the Raptors.The three wires slightly block the two front intake 80's,but only slghtly.

Maybe it's your case?

The new one may have more fans but lower quality fans.

Did you put the fan on the right way?

Is the air flow right? Make sure your fans are all working together.

Example of my case:
http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=computerairflowkx1.png

They're all 80mm but the one in the back will be a 120 soon.

My case idles at 28c, CPU at 26c, and mobo at 35c.

So,I need to know,before I rip two new builds apart to fix what may noy be broken can someone here tell me what the O-Ring is for in this diagram and what it does ? I know I did not install them properly,and I think that one of them on the four corners was not installed at all.What do they do ? and would the lack of them in a mounting install for a U90I explain a 8 to 10 celsius rise in idle temps ? :eek: Instead of putting them on the 775 Pillar,I simply placed them on the mobo,laid the backplate on top,and then slid the pillars into the mounting plate holes,held on for dear life,flipped it over and placed the 775 bracket mount on,then proceeded to frustrate myself to NO end,by trying to screw in the bracket mounts,as of course the o-rings kept dutifully falling off and onto the floor. :eek:

Well, your link doesn't work, but I'm assuming you mean here.
The o-rings are more for holding the 'pillars' to the back-plate than anything else, but if they aren't allowing the plate to sit flat for some reason, then I imagine it could cause you some problems. Not really sure other than that, but my Ultima90 works great.
Make sure that the heads of the 'pillars' on the bottom of the back plate are lying flat, in-between those notches that keep the pillar from spinning. Also, the screws that are spring-loaded that actually hold the heatsink down should be tightened completely.

Scouras626

Thanks for the tip ! :)

I think replacing 3 of the 4 stock 5 1/4" bay covers,with some mesh covers on this PC65B may help,that and replacing the four stock 80mm low rpm fans with some
Panaflo 2950rpm 9cm fans.

Maybe throw in a newer Scythe Ultra Kaze HPS 3000rpm 38mm fan behind the mesh covers and use it to exhaust air ? Taking off the side window lowers temps between 10
to 14c on the quad,idle and load.The spring loaded screws are as tight as they can be with me snapping them in two ! LOL.

I have installed other Tr sinks before,but,not with this newer mounting kit.

Questions..

Would four Panaflo 2950rpm 9cm fans linked above put out alot more air then the stock 80's in the Lian Li PC65B?? and would replacing the stock bay covers with mesh ones help allot as well ?

Back