• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

IDE's or editors?

So, if I don't like how an IDE handles debugging, or don't need it, I can remove that feature?

You can simply not use it, which is effectively the same thing. Though I question what kind of developer really doesn't need debugging.

See, it's your opinion, as you say. If I don't like a particular feature of an IDE, I should be able to remove it and replace it with something better. Because I have my opinion and I don't like how it handles a certain workflow.

And you are completely free to do so with an IDE.

It's not an IDE. It's a text editor modified to your own liking. You could call VIM an IDE (ha!), if you truly believe extensions make a text editor an IDE.

The word "integrated" is what makes an IDE an IDE.

No, once you've integrated those features in, it's an IDE, not a text editor, because it no longer is limited to editing text once you've integrated those features. It would be illogical to believe otherwise.

There's that "if needed" following the word integrated.

...and unless you're doing 'My first program' projects, that if (in the case of the debugger) is always going to be true. Debugging is indispensable, whether you're doing Node.js, PHP, FORTAN, Haskell or anything else you can think of.
 
I think what this really comes down to is how simple is it to setup your text editor with all those plugins to get the features you'd want or need, when a good IDE would have them all readily available.

Possibly the problem is that the languages and technologies you are using do not have a good IDE available. If I wanted to write .NET apps, I'll use Visual Studio, if I wanted to write Java apps I'll pick up a good Java IDE, if I'm writing some scripting languages and such, maybe there's not a great IDE for that and I'll just use a text editor with various plugins.
 
I'm currently doing a lot of node.js/python/web frontend stuff. I really haven't found a good IDE :( can someone suggest one?

I have tried the various jetbrains IDEs, but the vim movement integration isn't so complete. I actually use pycharm for debugging python, I end up using sublime to edit and pycharm to debug.

Currently using sublime text. I'm stuck with a bunch of scripts to try to make debugging as streamlined as possible. Visual studio/xcode is so much nicer comparatively...
 
I use either vim or gedit for the most part (almost all my work is in C++).

Every couple of months I will go try Eclipse with the C++ plugin. I like the idea of a good IDE, but I haven't had the best luck with them. Somehow, I often get eclipse into a funny state where the intelligent code recognizer doesn't recognize something and half my files are full of those red squiggly underlines, yet the code compiles perfectly.

For CUDA work I always fire up the Nsight Eclipse edition, not much of a choice there as it's the only thing capable of real-time kernel debugging on the GPU.

Has anyone here tried out the AMD CodeXL IDE? I haven't tried it yet as I only have Nvidia cards right now, but am quite curious how it compares to Nsight.
 
Somehow, I often get eclipse into a funny state where the intelligent code recognizer doesn't recognize something and half my files are full of those red squiggly underlines, yet the code compiles perfectly.

No, that's just Eclipse being Eclipse. It isn't anything you did.

The code analysis in Eclipse is, well...bad, and my choice of the word 'bad' is generous. I'd rather use some less polite terms to describe it, but some people could take offense to my choices. Other IDEs I have used generally don't seem to have so much trouble.
 
For those complaining about eclipse, seriously, try intellij. It's worth the full $200 license price IMO, though they do have a fairly fleshed out free edition for basic java work.

(No I don't work for Jetbrains, just a recovering eclipse user)
 
For those complaining about eclipse, seriously, try intellij. It's worth the full $200 license price IMO, though they do have a fairly fleshed out free edition for basic java work.

(No I don't work for Jetbrains, just a recovering eclipse user)

If I got paid for my java work I would definitely spend the money on it but for now I will stick to Netbean.
I work in C# and have bought ReSharper for VS from them and love it
 
No, that's just Eclipse being Eclipse. It isn't anything you did.

The code analysis in Eclipse is, well...bad, and my choice of the word 'bad' is generous. I'd rather use some less polite terms to describe it, but some people could take offense to my choices. Other IDEs I have used generally don't seem to have so much trouble.

Oh - go ahead and bash it all you want. Every now and then I'll change something on a JSP I'm working on and the whole thing will blow up with red squigglies, even when there aren't any problems. :mad:
 
Probably sounds like blasphemy, but anyone do PHP work on Visual Studio?

Doing PHP work is indeed blasphemy. I haven't met anybody who uses Visual Studio for it, but I try to keep the amount of PHP involved in my life as close to 0 as possible, so that might be why.
 
Doing PHP work is indeed blasphemy. I haven't met anybody who uses Visual Studio for it, but I try to keep the amount of PHP involved in my life as close to 0 as possible, so that might be why.

oh that's like me an python!
 
You reminded me of this article.

That's a good overview of everything available in WebMatrix 2. It'd be nice to see Node.js being used more often when it is appropriate to do so. Having tools like WebMatrix should steeply reduce barriers for entry into ASP.NET or Node.js development, so hopefully more people will start using those and fewer people will take the LAMP route.
 
Doing PHP work is indeed blasphemy. I haven't met anybody who uses Visual Studio for it, but I try to keep the amount of PHP involved in my life as close to 0 as possible, so that might be why.

If you don't mind - what's so blasphemous about using PHP? I myself mainly work in Java, so I wouldn't really know about PHP.
 
It gets old people saying how bad PHP is and especially posting one particular link about it.

You dont have to use the language if you don't like it.
 
Wasn't necessarily directed at you. My original edit was but then I figured you were answering a question so there was no need to rant

No, there isn't. I was just asking is all. I've done PHP for a class, but that's pretty much it. It wasn't pleasant, and I've kind of sworn off the language after that; though I always chalked my bad experience with the language as a result of my book (which had tons of errors in it and was just an out-and-out terrible textbook).
 
PHP Web Developer and i use Vim with minimal .vimrc features. I just like how simple it is... and nearly all servers have it so mostly for simplicity and portability.

I do however think sublime text is cool but without some plugins I miss the terminal. In the IDE domains, i try to only use them when it suites me. Eclipse for JAVA, Android Studio for JAVA/Android, and Visual Studio for MS stuff because the features.... are well useful for the specific enviroments.

I might use IDE's more if I was working other languages more.
 
its not that important for some people but if i jump on a foriegn server i can feel at home i guess
 
ASP.NET/Classic ASP - Visual Studio
PHP - Aptana Studio 3
CSS, Javascript - Both of the above, depending on which one I happen to be in at the time
 
Developer here, IDE for sure = Eclipse/Aptana + Git, Node, Grunt plugin.

#gonodejs!
 
I work mostly in Ruby these days (the focus being mainly Rails); I've tried most of the IDE solutions for it, and they all just seem to get in my way in a major way...and all for different reasons.

In the end, I just gave up and now I tend to use gEdit with a terminal open at the bottom and the file browser on the left, and logs/development server etc running in a second workspace (Linux...yay). I've never been a fan of syntax completion (although I do use the word completion plugin, which is actually a lot handier for my usage), so that's not really an issue.

Works well enough for me - I'm another one who does most debugging using logs, and if I really need breakpoints I'll just use the Debugger gem and IRB in a terminal.

It gets old people saying how bad PHP is and especially posting one particular link about it.

You dont have to use the language if you don't like it.

Actually, there's one big reason for being forced to use a language even if you don't like it - being paid to fix/modify existing systems. I like to eat, and since not many people have websites built in Ruby, I have to adapt. That mostly means torturing my eyeballs with PHP these days.
 
I'm picking up Clojure and learning emacs at the same time. At first I hated it, now it's growing on me. Key combos aren't so bad after using tmux for a while, similar type of key combos.
 
Like odoe mentioned, tmux + $EDITOR + whatever language/platform of choice (for me, it's a toss up between Node.js, Python, Clojure).

And for me, the editor of choice is usually vim.
 
I'm picking up Clojure and learning emacs at the same time. At first I hated it, now it's growing on me. Key combos aren't so bad after using tmux for a while, similar type of key combos.

Like odoe mentioned, tmux + $EDITOR + whatever language/platform of choice (for me, it's a toss up between Node.js, Python, Clojure).

And for me, the editor of choice is usually vim.

For those of you mentioning functional languages like Clojure, may I ask what you're using them for? What kind of projects have you been using the functional paradigm for? How do you like it compared to more imperative languages?

whatever language/platform of choice (for me, it's a toss up between Node.js, Python, Clojure).

How often is it a toss up?
 
At this point, I'm really just learning and experimenting. I do GIS (spatial/location) development, which can cover large areas. It's not BIG DATA, but can take a lot of processing depending on what you are doing. I'm just trying to see if I can gain some benefits from it for future projects.

I'm going to a Clojure conference early next year and I'm hoping to pick some brains on some potential uses and see if it's a good fit, things like processing satellite imagery to remove clouds and other similar tasks.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Clojure, it's my first real dive into functional programming, but I have really grown to like it quite a bit. The practice of transforming data rather than state is pretty appealing. I'm not going to claim to have a strong grasp of monads, but I think it's worth learning to just widen my breadth.
 
Back
Top