Identifying phantom app popup?

Frangible

Limp Gawd
I have some phantom app popping up in my taskbar on my home XP Pro box about every 30 mins (haven't timed it). Shows as a console icon and a blank title. None of the logging or auditing features in XP seem to be able to capture it. (yes, I run virus scanners and spyware detectors, and don't use IE or Outlook)

The problem is, despite my TweakUI setting not to steal focus, this popup does steal focus and minimizes full-screen apps like WoW.

I think it's related to the HP printer drivers (HP PSC1315V), but I'm not sure. I can't find anything on Google that's relevant.

Anyone have any ideas on how to determine wtf this is? I think some of the process / thread creation trace logging looks like it should get it, but it spits out the results in an unkown binary log file format, and trying to look through it I'm not seeing anything...

It definately seems to be HP printer driver related. If I kill all the HP processes/services, it doesn't happen. Turning off autoupdate and messing with the options in the drivers does not seem to have an effect.

I don't have any insight on the specific process, but you should be able to get away with disabling pretty much all of the HP bs without screwing up your printing.

Back