• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Identify this 2.5" HDD connector

MGDMN

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 30, 2003
Messages
2,435
I was browsing through the laptop HDD's listed on newegg and I saw that this samsung spinpoint M8 drive has this 4 pin connector arranged to the left of the sata power connection. I assume its just another 4 pin power connector that can be used instead of the sata power connector. Is this correct?

 
I see. Well, that would explain why it wasnt listed on the details page.
 
I assume its just another 4 pin power connector that can be used instead of the sata power connector. Is this correct?

I highly doubt that. Probably for some jumper or as the other poster said for factory use / diagnostics..
 
I highly doubt that. Probably for some jumper or as the other poster said for factory use / diagnostics..

I found this thread asking about the same connector, although his was on a 3.5" drive rather than a 2.5", and he stated that he was able to power the drive with a 4 pin power connection. So I assumed it was the same with this drive.
 
Well, I was able to find the manual from samsungs site and it turns out that the connection is used for "factory use only."

 
I found this thread asking about the same connector, although his was on a 3.5" drive rather than a 2.5", and he stated that he was able to power the drive with a 4 pin power connection. So I assumed it was the same with this drive.

On the 3.5 inch drive if it is a second power connector it would normally be a the same old 4 pin molex connector that has been used for decades.
 
I found this thread asking about the same connector, although his was on a 3.5" drive rather than a 2.5", and he stated that he was able to power the drive with a 4 pin power connection. So I assumed it was the same with this drive.

The connector he is showing in the link is definitely for jumpers as there is already a jumper attached in the picture. He must have an older drive that had both 4 pin molex and sata power.
 
The connector he is showing in the link is definitely for jumpers as there is already a jumper attached in the picture. He must have an older drive that had both 4 pin molex and sata power.

There are no jumpers on the pins of the HDD in that picture, but I am not disagreeing with you. I am certain that they are in fact jumper pins.

2214470102.jpg
 
Last edited:
There are no jumpers on the pins of the HDD in that picture.

From what I see there is a mini jumper installed between pin 2 and 3. You can see the grey plastic there. Where the other pins have no plastic.

22-144-701-02.jpg



Either way that is definitely not a power connector.
 
Last edited:
I can't find any now, but I've seen pictures of those pins with jumpers on them. Also, you can see that they're described as "4-pin jump" on this assembly here. Also, check this link out and scroll down to where it shows the 2.5" pinout. It's for IDE, but I'm guessing it's the same idea for SATA.

Edit: Actually, just look at this diagram from Western Digital, pretty self-explanatory:

http://support.wdc.com/images/kb/scrp_connect.jpg
 
I can't find any now, but I've seen pictures of those pins with jumpers on them. Also, you can see that they're described as "4-pin jump" on this assembly here. Also, check this link out and scroll down to where it shows the 2.5" pinout. It's for IDE, but I'm guessing it's the same idea for SATA.

Edit: Actually, just look at this diagram from Western Digital, pretty self-explanatory:

http://support.wdc.com/images/kb/scrp_connect.jpg

Awesome, that explains it nicely. Thanks for that.
 
Back
Top