• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ideas Wanted: Laptop mod/paint

Worminater

Gawd
Joined
Apr 12, 2004
Messages
1,017
Hola, I have a compaq presario 1500, and the warrenty just ran out, so I'm thinking about painting it or moding it in some way.... Heres what it looks like

presario_1500_3.jpg


I am thinking black/blue color scheme paint, and I'm not sure what else. I trust myself to pull it apart/put it back together and all that, and am looking for ideas on what to do and possibly some hints/tips/tricks from those wise in the field. Any suggestions for a [H] nub?
 
I would paint only the silver part, if it were mine. Paint it bright yellow, orange, green, red, something like that. Blue will look too dark compared to the black.

Maybe color changing mirage paint would look good? Something bright metallic would look nice, too.
 
First off, I'd try using vinyl dye instead of paint. It's likely the model numbers and such may even show through and look good, and vinyl dye is absorbed rather than sitting on top --it shouldn't chip the way paint would, and as long as your surface is clean, you shouldn't have to sand it like you would with paint. It should sink into the plastic over time and produce a really nice "as it if came from the factory that way" look if you do it right.

If you want to use light or bright colors, put a layer of white over any areas you wish to use them on first, or the color won't look as good. I think I'd pick out a classy sports car color (since vinyl dye often comes from automotive shops, you should be able to find some great colors) like British Racing Green, or Testarossa Red, or Ocean Blue.
 
I think if you just did the black in a high-gloss cherry red or black cherry paint, it would look sweet with the silver around it.

I'm going to be painting my G3 iBook... I love working in a shop that has a paintshop and will only charge me for the cost of paint... :eek: :D
 
I would wrap it in commercial-grade vinyl like they use in sign shops. The best part is if you change your mind you can change out the vinyl MUCH easier than sanding and repainting. Also, it'd probably be much more durable.
 
Back
Top