Ideas for storage options for mobile buisness?

alik4041

[H]ard|Gawd
My father has his buisness with important information that needs to be backed up 24/7. Every second of his work that is saved on a drive needs to be backed up. Currently he's using a single 40gb toshiba drive which I find to be extremely unreliable if something where to happen. Data is obviously critical in this scenario. The requirements are that it needs to either be mobile and backup needs to be immediate or somewhat immediate after information is entered.

My first idea was a laptop with raid 1. This idea found itself in the price range of $1500+, so my next idea was some kind of usb back up drive or NAS. The problem with the NAS is it might not be adequate. The laptop that he currently uses goes from office to office and then back to home. So any ideas? I'm doing as much research as I can on this topic. Money is important here. 1k is not his idea of affordable, even though I do think that with such important information, money is no object.

I think you should really ask your dad, "If you lost all of your data, what would it do to your business? How much money would it take to get it back up and running?"

If the data is that critical, don't skimp on the backup plan.

Does he have internet access when he travels? If so you might look into some of the companies that offer online backup services.

Raid 1 would only protect against one hard drive failing. You would still need to do a backup to some other device.

Hope this helps.

How large is the data he intends to back up? If it is manageable, I suggest an online solution like mozy

Also, RAID is NOT a backup.

What kind of files are we talking? Large? Small? Really depends on the file sizes. I'm going to guess a lot of small files?

These are a lot of small files, mostly word documents. Then there are some bigger files such as graphs and files for different special programs. I don't think its over 5GB. But it's just a lot of files. This is why I figured if he would setup a RAID 1 array, it would be better for hardware failure. I'm not looking for information backup. I can always retrieve the information as long as I can access the drive. But if the drive is dead :confused: That's why a lot of the options I listed prior where hardware and not any kind of software. Anyways, can you guys help me find some cheaper RAID 1 laptops. Or if there is an alternative. Oh and these files are important. Important like if they were lost, it would mean lawsuits... but my dad still doesn't get it :rolleyes:

PS: Thank you very much for all the replies :) I appreciate your feedback

Back