Ideas for broken M.2 retention screw mount

brentsg

[H]ard|Gawd
So I got a new pair of 1TB 960 EVOs and got the first one (near CPU all setup).

My second ASUS Z270 Hero M.2 slot is fubar b/c the mount point for the screw popped off the board when mounting a drive. It's BS too b/c I was just using the little bitty screw bit with my bare fingers.

Any ideas on mounting a M.2 drive without the normal way to hold it down? I mean I could RMA but I'm sure it'd take forever with the ASUS system and I'd be down a PC.

Is the hole where the mount was clear? Maybe just an M2 screw and nut would work.

you have 6 mounts on that board and they just screw out like a mobo tray mount. 1st determine if the screw threads of the mount are stripped or if the motherboard itself is stripped. If it's the mount try one of the other 6 on that board. If it's the mobo then epoxy is you best bet. Any two part epoxy will do. I would also repot the issue to Asus to make sure epoxy won't void your warranty. Sadly they aren't very responsive.

I'll have to look at it closely this weekend. I seem to remember just a silver spot where the mount used to be, no hole.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think epoxy will be the best bet. Screw the warranty if that's an issue. Haven't been happy with the board anyways.

On another note, happy with the 960 EVO at the $340 price point. I had a 960 Pro briefly and just wasn't comfortable with the price for perceived performance.

I just took a look at my ASUS ROG STRIX Z270G GAMING and it appears the M.2 standoffs are just press-fit into the motherboard. You should be able to just press it back in. Can you take pics of the standoff and the "silver spot" and share it with us?

I'm in the midst of some data recovery from an old 840 EVO and it's slow as hell. Wondering if it's affected by the old issues.. b/c it's very, very slow.

As soon as this finishes, I'll get in there for a look.

I'm in the midst of some data recovery from an old 840 EVO and it's slow as hell. Wondering if it's affected by the old issues.. b/c it's very, very slow.

As soon as this finishes, I'll get in there for a look.

I do not have this board I use MSI exclusively but MSI uses a stand off similar to those used for motherboard to motherboard tray connection and screw directly into the motherboard where the screw goes into it to secure the M.2 drive. In their accessory pack there are additional M.2 stand offs which is why I asked where thr defect is. If motherboard is stripped the you are fubared and RMA or epoxy is your only option to use that particular mount. Try professor Banner mode when tightening them..... lol

Back