IdeaPad Y580 Laptop: 3630QM/8GB ram/1TB HDD/GTX 660M

Blue.chord

Limp Gawd
Saw this on slickdeals

Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 Laptop: Core i7 3630QM 2.4GHz, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, 2GB GeForce GTX 660M, Blu-ray Drive, WiFi N, 6-cell, Windows 8 $899 + Free Shipping

1299 - $400 off eCoupon code USPY51321220

= 899$

Link

It's good, though it's not as good as the one before where I believe it had a 32gb ssd along with it. But then again, I think that had mail in rebates, where as this doesn't seem to.

Great deal. It's played every game I've tried without issue with High settings. Battery life is subpar, lasting only around four hours. That's the only negative I can think of. I'd recommend it.

I wish they had systems like this with onboard video cards only :rolleyes:
Not all of us want to game on powerful systems... some of us want a deal to do WORK on :D

It's good, though it's not as good as the one before where I believe it had a 32gb ssd along with it. But then again, I think that had mail in rebates, where as this doesn't seem to.

From reading the slickdeals threads, it appears the previous sale had backlit keyboards as well. It is still a great deal. I just hope something like this is on sale in mid January :).

I have the slightly newer (albeit slower) Y500 and love it, this is a pretty good deal.

Cancelled the order I had with newegg for this.
Same price and I go from a 650m to a 660m
and 1600x900 to 1080P
awesome! TY OP!

FYI the 660M is a GT 640.

I bought a MSI laptop and it has the i7 3610 and 660m about half a year ago. It is a great laptop that I consider mid-range. I didn't go with a 670m (or anything better) because I think it ran hotter and killed battery life faster. My wife really only uses the laptop for school and basic internet use, so I didn't want to go overkill. I also didn't want it baking her legs, so that's another reason why I went with the 660m. For the little bit of gaming I do it handles everything pretty well. It should last another year or two for sure at this rate.

I never realized it was consider a 640. I almost was going to get mad I waited and waited to to find a deal on a laptop, only to now realize it is a 640 after I read your post, but I realize they make a 640m, which I'm sure the 660m is the faster of the two.

There was a Y580 configured roughly like this on Black Friday at the same price, but I decided not to bite at the time. Did this time - thanks for posting the deal!

Only thing I'm curious about is if you dive into some of the detailed results (like under 3dmark Vantage) notebookcheck.net, I see 1250MHz RAM for the 660M on the Y580s listed there. Does that mean some 660Ms coming with the Y580s had something less than GDDR5? The tech spec sheet I found from Lenovo says GDDR5...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_nvidia_graphics_processing_units

See GTX 660M, and GT 640 (GDDR5) (Desktop). They are one and the same, except for the clocks, and TDP.
Nvidia and ATI have been doing this with mobile GPUs for the last decade. The M means different performance, so you've got to find benchmarks for that particular card, period.

What pisses me off is what Lenovo/Nvidia did with the Y570 where they used a "GT555M" but it was clocked much slower than the 555Ms that came in other laptops, to the point that it was a noticeable difference in many games. You didn't need benchmarks to see the difference, and that 555M actually performed almost identically to a 550M (which doesn't sound like much but it was a pretty wide gap).

I don't know if that was the fault of Lenovo or Nvidia, but playing with clock speeds like that without telling the customer is really dirty.

Last edited:
Great deal. It's played every game I've tried without issue with High settings. Battery life is subpar, lasting only around four hours. That's the only negative I can think of. I'd recommend it.

4 hours for a beast like this?

wow...

I wouldn't play it unplugged. Darksiders 2 ran like ass with it unplugged. Keeps on lagging and such when it's off the hook. When it's plugged in though, it ran pretty great.

Can't decide if I want to buy this laptop or not...

It's more than I need for school but it's such a great value

I wouldn't play it unplugged. Darksiders 2 ran like ass with it unplugged. Keeps on lagging and such when it's off the hook. When it's plugged in though, it ran pretty great.

That's due to your power saving settings kicking in and limiting the cpu/gpu speeds.

You can tweak those settings, but the battery wouldn't last long anyways under 100% cpu and gpu load.

On my Y570, there's something in there that, even once I played with every setting in Windows' Power control panel and the Nvidia control panel, it still would slow down a bit when on battery. Hopefully that's fixed on the Y580, but I won't be too broken up if it's not.

Back