IdeaPad Y500 Laptop 3630QM, 8GB, 1TB, GT650M 2GB, 1080p - $819

Last day of the sale. For what it's worth, I got mine today, it looks awesome...

Seems I underestimated how terrible Windows 8 is, though. I can't stand it. If I pick up an oem copy of Windows 7, am I going to have any difficulties finding drivers?

(EDIT: Based on what I could find, there are drivers via Lenovo's Chinese site, but they're not entirely glitch-free :( )

Also... trying to find the msata slot. Don't see mention of it in the manual. There's a mesh cover underneath the battery that looks like it might house it, and it definitely looks like it's meant to be removed, but I feel like I'm going to break the damn thing trying. :(

blah... download classic shell or start8 and you are on a faster version of windows 7

blah... download classic shell or start8 and you are on a faster version of windows 7
I seem to be getting errors when I try third-party solutions like that. Makes me kind of wary.

EDIT: Or at least classic shell.

I seem to be getting errors when I try third-party solutions like that. Makes me kind of wary.

EDIT: Or at least classic shell.

Could you try getting the msata slot visible? Or take pictures of what you can see? I'm trying to purchase an SSD for this laptop but I can't get a 2.5" drive because lenovo (according to their phone sales rep) wont have ultrabays available for at least two-three weeks, so I guess I'm getting an MSATA drive to use with this thing.

Could you try getting the msata slot visible? Or take pictures of what you can see? I'm trying to purchase an SSD for this laptop but I can't get a 2.5" drive because lenovo (according to their phone sales rep) wont have ultrabays available for at least two-three weeks, so I guess I'm getting an MSATA drive to use with this thing.
You have to take the entire bottom of the laptop off - 8 or 9 screws or so. Other than that it's pretty easy, the msata slot is right there in the open once the cover is removed.

The only annoying thing is you need a screw to hold an msata SSD in place, and neither the laptop nor my Crucial m4 came with one. So I have to wait until Tuesday or so for some to arrive. From what I gather it's probably an M2 x 3mm.

You have to take the entire bottom of the laptop off - 8 or 9 screws or so. Other than that it's pretty easy, the msata slot is right there in the open once the cover is removed.

The only annoying thing is you need a screw to hold an msata SSD in place, and neither the laptop nor my Crucial m4 came with one. So I have to wait until Tuesday or so for some to arrive. From what I gather it's probably an M2 x 3mm.

Hmm, two questions then, first where did you order the screw from? I need to order one too. Also, any idea if the msata slot is sata III or sata II? I've heard both things, and I really hope it is sata III.

Hmm, two questions then, first where did you order the screw from? I need to order one too. Also, any idea if the msata slot is sata III or sata II? I've heard both things, and I really hope it is sata III.
I got it on ebay. Seems the seller is actually laptopscrews.com. Also, I believe that's the right screw size but I couldn't find anything definitive.

I'm pretty sure it's SATA II. I was under the impression they don't make msata that's compatible with SATA III yet.

Just got my Y580 in from a Black Friday deal and it is the quite amazing. The full keyboard feels just as good as my desktop keyboard and the 1080p screen is crystal clear.

If the Y500 only lags behind the Y580 in its GPU, the price difference seems appropriate.

EDIT: oops, just realized there's no blu-ray nor ssd on the y500.

Just got my Y580 in from a Black Friday deal and it is the quite amazing. The full keyboard feels just as good as my desktop keyboard and the 1080p screen is crystal clear.
I was totally not prepared for how small everything would be on a 1080p screen on a 15.6" laptop. There's an easy fix for that for browsing the web, but I feel like I almost have to squint just to read what people are saying over Steam chat. Considering it also means games won't run as well, I hope it's worth those tradeoffs.
EDIT: oops, just realized there's no blu-ray nor ssd on the y500.
You can get those things on it, just not at this price... which is now dead anyway so not sure why we're still talking about it, except to say, if this laptop goes on sale again - and it seems Lenovo does this quite frequently - I definitely recommend it.

I was slightly torn between this @ $819 or the Y580 @ 900'ish (would have to wait for the deal, but I'm sure it would have come). I ended up going for the Y500 so I could have it by Christmas and because of the ultrabay. The GTX 650 vs 660 difference is fairly inconsequential imo and the extra utility and possible performance offered by the Y500 seemed to make the $90 price difference worth it. I bit on the last day of the sale and am looking forward to receiving it on Monday.

Just wanted to say that the build quality on this laptop is much better than I expected, and man is it Sexy. The screen is very nice as well, it only seems to distort color when looking at it from the bottom at an extreme angle. All other angles the screen is perfect.

Also, I overclocked the card to 1100/2800 (will try for more) and the performance is better than expected.

Back