Ideal Mixer for Multiple PC's

BecauseScience

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
1,047
I'm looking for a mixer to mix the stereo line outs from my PC's.

This is what I'm looking for:
  • small
  • cheap (around $20)
  • four stereo channels
  • headphone amp and output
  • all inputs and outputs 1/8" TRS (aka stereo line level)
  • not battery powered

This is the closest I've come so far: http://www.behringer.com/MX400/index.cfm?lang=eng

Unfortunately, it's 1/4 TS. I believe that means it's mono not stereo. I can be flexible with my criteria but stereo is really the one thing I can't do without.

It seems like this should be a common item. Am I missing an obvious candidate?
 
You might just want to look into a switcher, or if you have some electronics knowledge you can find plans on how to build a mixer fairly easily on google (since you don't seem to care about EQ, panning or balanced in/out it should be fairly simple). I don't think you are going to find what you want for around $20 with decent quality. I have an old radioshack mixer that basically does what you are asking for (but with RCA/TS and individual buses (no linked stereo).

For 4 stereo pairs, this is probably going to be the closest (and cheapest actually, because its behringer) you'll find that still seems to be in production http://www.behringer.com/UBB1002/index.cfm?lang=ENG

If you only need 2 stereo pairs, this behringer would be perfect http://www.behringer.com/502/index.cfm?lang=ENG (and it's $45 instead of $100 for the EuroRack)

Nady makes one that is almost exactly what you are looking for (and the one user review that is up has the guy using it for mixing 4 computers together) except it doesn't have a headphone out. http://www.amazon.com/NADY-MM4-4-Channel-Stereo-Mixer/dp/B00009W40B
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You might just want to look into a switcher, or if you have some electronics knowledge you can find plans on how to build a mixer fairly easily on google (since you don't seem to care about EQ, panning or balanced in/out it should be fairly simple).

Yea, I know my way around circuits I just figured that buying something would be cheaper and less hassle. It's a pain getting components anymore. Everything has be mailordered.

I don't think you are going to find what you want for around $20 with decent quality. I have an old radioshack mixer that basically does what you are asking for (but with RCA/TS and individual buses (no linked stereo).

Man, this completely amazes me. It seems like there should be some little box with four 1/8 line inputs and one 1/8 line output for $20. It doesn't even require controls. A fixed even mix woud be fine. Newegg should have a few models of these things. Lots of people have multiple machines these days.

For 4 stereo pairs, this is probably going to be the closest (and cheapest actually, because its behringer) you'll find that still seems to be in production http://www.behringer.com/UBB1002/index.cfm?lang=ENG

If you only need 2 stereo pairs, this behringer would be perfect http://www.behringer.com/502/index.cfm?lang=ENG (and it's $45 instead of $100 for the EuroRack)

Nady makes one that is almost exactly what you are looking for (and the one user review that is up has the guy using it for mixing 4 computers together) except it doesn't have a headphone out. http://www.amazon.com/NADY-MM4-4-Channel-Stereo-Mixer/dp/B00009W40B

Thanks for the suggestions :) but $50 is more than I want to spend. Also, they all look like they have "a lot more going on" than I need. I was hoping for something small and simple, about the size of an Altoids tin.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This is the closest I've come so far: http://www.behringer.com/MX400/index.cfm?lang=eng

Unfortunately, it's 1/4 TS. I believe that means it's mono not stereo. I can be flexible with my criteria but stereo is really the one thing I can't do without.

This mixer has four line inputs so you can use it for inputting two stereo signals, you'll just need Y cable with 1/4 to 1/8 jack adapters on the computer end (assuming you'll get 1/4 jack cable Y)
 
This mixer has four line inputs so you can use it for inputting two stereo signals, you'll just need Y cable with 1/4 to 1/8 jack adapters on the computer end (assuming you'll get 1/4 jack cable Y)

Are there cables that split stereo 1/8 into left mono 1/4 and right mono 1/4? What are they called?
 
Are there cables that split stereo 1/8 into left mono 1/4 and right mono 1/4? What are they called?

An insert cable I believe is wired correctly, although those would be all 1/4" When you start getting into mixers finding 1/8" is hard because they don't stand up to frequent inserts as well.
 
Back
Top