Ideal GPU Folding Rig

Emmanon

Limp Gawd
I need to tap into [H]orde wisdom again. Four of my five boxen are GPU rigs. I'm looking for ways to improve them. What would be the specs for your ideal GPU folding box:confused:

a mobo with 4 PCIe x16 slots, all double spaced, paired with a low cost quad or hex core cpu, a big PSU from a reputable maker (seasonic et al) and fans, lots of fans

^^^This^^^

Looks like...

IMG_0434.jpg

Well, it no longer has GeForce 9800 GX2s in it, but you get the picture. ;)

I figured the mining racks would be the way to go. Spotswood makes some nice mining racks. I believe 780 Tis have the best ppd/watt. Can anyone confirm this with hard data?

780Ti is good for folding, not necessarily mining.
AMD GPUs are the gold standard right now.

Edit: Ok I read mining somewhere in here :) . So my statement still applies just not the same way. ;)

I figured the mining racks would be the way to go. Spotswood makes some nice mining racks. I believe 780 Tis have the best ppd/watt. Can anyone confirm this with hard data?

I'd do it out of PVC to keep costs down but whatever works.

God damn it, Gump! You're a god damn genius!

Plus, this will keep my goofy cat from getting fried.

Ok. Side question for making multi-gpu rigs.
My modular PSUs have run out of the PCIE power cables.
I need to find extra/replacement 8 pin (modular at the psu) to dual 6/8 pin (modular at the GPU) "cables".
Most everything I find on Ebay, Amazon, Newegg are "adapters", maybe 4-6 inches long and I need a standard length like 12-18 inches to reach from the psu to gpu.
Where are you buying these?

I want to be sure we're talking about the same type of cable. Does it look like this?
http://www.moddiy.com/products/Ante...-8-Pin-to-8-Pin-%2b-6-Pin-PCI%2dE-Cables.html
How many are you looking for? If you just need one, I have an extra one you can have. It's a ribbon style cable. I might have a sleeved cable though. Let me know if you're interested and I'll mail it to you.

If you need more than one. I think I hit pay dirt here. He has 22" 8 pin to dual 6+2 pin cables for $5.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Seasonic-power-supply-modular-cable-/321293311562

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yep. Those are the ones.
I found the Ebay one as well and emailed the seller. He has several different styles you just need to specify which one with a note when you order.
Thanks very much for the offer, but if you are GPU folding or mining I suspect you will eventually need the extra or a spare.
Looks like I can get a couple for about $15 with shipping.

Back