• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ideal cooling: Antec 300

AMDisSWEET

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 6, 2002
Messages
375
I have a Antec 300 with just the two stock fans that came pre-installed. The noise level from them is acceptable. I just recently put in a AC Freezer 7 Pro and its a bit louder than the stock cooler but the noise level is in line with the stock fans and the increased cooling is more than worth it.

I was originally planning on just putting in a side fan mostly to reduce the amount of dust that is pulled into the case from the top and rear fans. They seem to draw air from the side panel which has no filter.

If anyone here has this case I would appreciate some feedback as to how well an exhaust fan on the panel works. I was thinking I might put in a 800RPM Sycthe or the slowest Yate Loon. My concern is that it won't have enough power to take air out of the case and repel the dust and that a higher CFM fan might 'steal' air from my upside down PSU.

Thanks!
 
From what I know, the front intakes of the antec 300 have dust filters. Also most users would make the side fan as an intake to help cool the chipset and the graphics card.
 
dust pulled in from top and rear? those should be exhaust, or atleast the rear.

i haven't gotten mine yet but i plan to have the front two pull in, top rear exhaust. i'm undecided on the side fan and if its necessary, infact someone mentioned it decreased performance, creating too much negative pressure or positive pressure depending on the way. my video card will be a 2 slot so it will push air out, but the side doesn't have a dust cover?
 
The side does not have a dust cover. It only has a honeycomb grill just like the top and rear.

The rear and top are exhaust fans. I was not saying that they pull dust in. What I meant was that they pull the dust in through the side vent because it is the closest intake essentially.

I was considering just putting a fan filter over the side vent without a fan or putting in a case window and blocking off the side vent altogether. One of those options might be best as my main concern is that an exhaust would take air away from the psu and an intake wouldn't benefit the airflow all that much imho.
 
move the rear fan to the front, then add another to the front. so you end up just running the two filtered front fans and the top exhaust fan. this still blows plenty of air into the case and all of the air going around in there is filtered. with the top fan on low, the gpu and power supply will not exhaust enough air to create negative pressure to start sucking in air around case seams. this works very well and is cheap and easy, keeps the inside of my friend's 300 looking nice. he is using a gtx260 and an antec 650w if that helps
 
Thanks for advice. I've just switched the panels for now. The vent is now over the back of the MB tray. Temps are up by 1-2 degrees C because the cpu fan was using the vent as an intake and sucking in dust. I'm concerned with looks so I was thinking of either getting a window installed or picking up another case for another 'plain' panel if I can get one dirt cheap. As for the front I was thinking of getting either the 1200RPM Scythe Slipstreams or these Xigmatek LED fans.
 
Back
Top