ideal:a lighter flash drive!!

altec

[H]ard|Gawd
ha looking at my lighter today and got a deal a lighter flash drive. what you guys think.
ps,this is the type of lighter i'm talking aboat. and the pic did i do a good job?

edit:sorry got to resize

ok got it i think
rebellight57ez.jpg

fix your pic, i think it sounds cool but it would have to be purely asthetic because fire + memory chips = noooooooo.

no take the lighter out and i have to find a new pic resizing program don't ask.

yea, and you'd have to come up with a pretty decent way to shield the unit from the zippo fuel. im not sure what effects naphtha would have on a circut board if it became saturated, but i can't imagine it'd be too good.

edit: ahh, alright ... what about the lid though, would you pull the memory card out? if not, the lid might get in the way when you're trying to put it on the computer ... a front port might not have as much of an issue, but i can see the back ports on the mobo having a few wires that'd get in the way.

And, now that they just made bringing lighters on airline flights illegal...less practical, unfortunately. I'm sure it's possible to do, but I wouldn't bother.

Okay, I'm guessing that you're not planning on making the lighter functional as both a lighter and a jump drive, right? Cuz if that's the case, duct tape's the only way I could figure to do it and make 'em both function!! :p

I would suggest that you get a new lighter. The insert inside the lighter (that you remove to fill it) has the mechanism built into it that flips the cover open, and springs it back shut, so you'll likely want to keep that. Don't know that you'd want to put the guts of a jump drive in contact with lighter fluid, and no matter how you clean the lighter innards, you'll likely still at least have the stink of the fluid. :(

Besides, you don't want to lose your favorite zippo to a jump drive project, do you?? LOL

get a cheap one from spencers gifts or something (a VERY perverted gift store)
there the same style as a zippo only they cost about $5

and you can get cool sayings on em too :)
http://www.spencergifts.com/
store locator is at the bottom in the fine print...or on the left in the big white print..which i actually noticed AFTER i saw the fine print one :confused: o_0

I wouldn't mind making one that functioned only as a jumpdrive.

On a side note, some people can do some crazy tricks with a Zippo lighter.

LoneWolf said:
And, now that they just made bringing lighters on airline flights illegal...less practical, unfortunately. I'm sure it's possible to do, but I wouldn't bother.

What colony are you in? When did this legislature pass?

You should be able to bring two lighters and four books of matches on board any airliner.

This is an awsome idea, I'm glad to see there's still some originality in the forums*. Just give it some time before it's mass produced on xoxide.

*disclaimer - I have no orginality myself at the moment, so that wasn't an insult to anyone here.

I don't see the appeal. Seeing as how most USB flash drives are much smaller than all but perhaps the disposable BiC lighters, it seems like a step backward in functionality, if not aesthetic value.

Nivram said:
Okay, I'm guessing that you're not planning on making the lighter functional as both a lighter and a jump drive, right? Cuz if that's the case, duct tape's the only way I could figure to do it and make 'em both function!! :p

I would suggest that you get a new lighter. The insert inside the lighter (that you remove to fill it) has the mechanism built into it that flips the cover open, and springs it back shut, so you'll likely want to keep that. Don't know that you'd want to put the guts of a jump drive in contact with lighter fluid, and no matter how you clean the lighter innards, you'll likely still at least have the stink of the fluid. :(

Besides, you don't want to lose your favorite zippo to a jump drive project, do you?? LOL

no lighter just a flash drive.
edit:i don't fly i like road trips. but most of myn are to work at some job site with my dad

Yes, you cannot bring on nail clippers, but you are allowed to bring a lighter on an airplane. The tobacco lobbists lobbied that banning lighters and matches would be unfair treatment to smokers.

If the toe nail clipper lobbists had tons of money, they could probably convince congress to let them on planes too.

xonik said:
I don't see the appeal. Seeing as how most USB flash drives are much smaller than all but perhaps the disposable BiC lighters, it seems like a step backward in functionality, if not aesthetic value.
You don't think thats aestheticaly cool?

ok this has to be sed.

there well only be a flash drive just a flash drive i would take the lighter out so theres only a flash drive in a lighter case ok.

I am not sure if I got that last post there altec...are ya trying to say something??? :p personally I think it would be a cool idea and the only real issues I could see is the weight of the lighter pulling on the USB port and possibly damaging it...if you were going to do this I would recomend using the lighter as a holder for the drive so you can use it to transport when not being used

Just FYI, yes they banned lighters recently... It was a portion of the Intelligence Reform bill that was passed last wednesday adding to the list of things like mentioned above. The use of matches was not added to the list at least that I heard of (so the four books of mathces still sounds right)... So no, you are no longer going to be able to carry a butane lighter on board... Sorry...

As far as the lighter idea, I like it. Go to it...

gigglebyte said:
I am not sure if I got that last post there altec...are ya trying to say something??? :p personally I think it would be a cool idea and the only real issues I could see is the weight of the lighter pulling on the USB port and possibly damaging it...if you were going to do this I would recomend using the lighter as a holder for the drive so you can use it to transport when not being used
Also, some laptops and computers for that case have USB ports close together, you'd be blocking other ports if you had it in the case... Another issue: some ports are sunk into the chassis (be it a laptop or computer). If you're storing some crucial files on it, it'd be crappy times when you really need them...

But provided of course you allow for these tolerances, it's all good... Would be cool to have a nice lid over the memory key that doesnt fall off every other second...

It'd be cool to tale a Bic lighter and cut it in half, hollow it out and put the drive in there. Work out the other half as a lid so when it's together it's all stealthed like.

redhalo said:
You don't think thats aestheticaly cool?
I like the curvy, chrome aesthetic, but the relatively large size and tacky silkscreening loses the effect. Something like a chromed BiC lighter would be cool though.

PawNtheSandman said:
Yes, you cannot bring on nail clippers, but you are allowed to bring a lighter on an airplane. The tobacco lobbists lobbied that banning lighters and matches would be unfair treatment to smokers.

If the toe nail clipper lobbists had tons of money, they could probably convince congress to let them on planes too.

It was just passed in Congress. I read it on CNN. It should take effect first of the year. Google for it. Supposedly it's just supposed to be "butane lighters" but my gut tells me that as paranoid as airline security is, if it looks like a lighter, it won't matter if it's butane or not. Heck, I got a folding set of Allen wrenches taken away a year ago that I had in my luggage to adjust my racing bicycle that I'd brought out with me to Colorado.:rolleyes:

Matches will still be allowed. I can't see how not allowing lighters but allowing matches is going to help our national security, but two congressmen decided they were going to "protect us all" from another Richard Reid. :rolleyes:

The information I have is from 2002 when the first airplane security reform was first introduced. I'm glad that congress finally did something about lighters.

You could have an extension in that lighter case so it connects through a cord instead of directly. That would let it get into all of those troublesome places.

Back