Idea ‘Theft’ Rampant in Mobile Gaming

HardOCP News

[H] News
At first, I thought this article said "ID" theft...who steals IDs in mobile games? Then I realized it was actually "idea" theft. Quick, someone call Leonardo DiCaprio and his team to investigate!

It’s been a week of bad blood between game developers, and it’s all (kind of) because of the iTunes App Store. A controversy of angry Internet community proportions occurred during the last few days between various developers and LimaSky, the company behind the very popular Doodle Jump.

ah yes doodle jump the so popular, I have not heard of it game, idea stealing is nothing new in gaming, what FPS/Platform/Strategy game has not borrowed something from another game?

While in some cases the situation can suck for developers, its worth noting that this kind of thing has been happening since the days of the Atari 2600 and probably even before that in arcades. Ideas are borrowed, adapted, or just ripped wholesale from other games by developers and used in their own projects. If it didn't happen we wouldn't have a lot of the games or genres we like to play now. The mobile gaming space is growing much faster than any other aspect of gaming ever has. The mobile gaming space is like watching the growth of the game industry itself in fast forward. Still this speed does lead to problems and something will eventually have to be done to allow the studios to defend their trademarks and copyrights in that space, but it will have to be done in a way that doesn't completely fuck over any chance of "innovation" or creativity.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like most games on mobile phones are just uninspired flash game rip offs anyway. The mystery is that they try to charge for it.

It seems like most games on mobile phones are just uninspired flash game rip offs anyway. The mystery is that they try to charge for it.

Nah that's normal.

The mystery is why the hell someone pays for them :D

Is it strange to you that people should create a product and try to earn a profit on the result of their work?

Nah that's normal.

The mystery is why the hell someone pays for them :D

Because people think its worth it? Its not like most of the games on mobile stores are expensive. Pay a few dollars for something thats fun and kills time. I see nothing wrong with that. I bought Game Dev Story the other day and have put some good time into it. Its not a complex game or an overly challenging one, but its fun and that is what is most important.

Because people think its worth it? Its not like most of the games on mobile stores are expensive. Pay a few dollars for something thats fun and kills time. I see nothing wrong with that. I bought Game Dev Story the other day and have put some good time into it. Its not a complex game or an overly challenging one, but its fun and that is what is most important.

I believe his point that was that similar flash games are available for free. However flash restrictions, likely due to the cut platform owners can get from App sales, have created this market.

You can't "own" an idea. That's stupid. Thus, you can't steal them either. The idea (!) that you can actually steal ideas (remember, stealing only occurs if you deprive the owner of something) doesn't make any sense. If someone copies (not steals, as that isn't possible) your idea, you still have that idea, and can do what you please with it. They could possibly register the art they create and prevent you from expressing your idea the same way they did, but that's a separate problem with copyright, not idea "theft".

Besides, everyone knows ideas are essentially worthless. It's the execution that actually matters. So even if you could categorize idea theft as actual theft, what is being stolen is of very little value anyway.

In addition, all the research into this subject reveal that the ability to copy and innovate off other's works actually has tremendous benefits to an industry, allowing it grow and flourish.

Back