Idea: Automatically remove [img] tags when quoting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zxcs

[H]ard|Gawd
I see many 2-3 line comments with a huge quote of about 10 images above them (especially in the "post pics of your new rig" thread.
I was wondering if it would be possible to maybe automatically take tags out of quotes and replace them with [url], or maybe a warning message when somebody tries to quote a lot of images?

just a thought.

very excellent idea. that would be most helpful for all of the stupid n00bs running around the forums.

i whole-heartedly second this motion.

The replacement to url tags sounds like a great idea, it's definately got my vote :)

im all for it!

i wish there was a way to prevent people from quoting a page long post and writing two words, too

Sounds like a good idea to me, but I've had a look through the vBulletin control panel and don't see any options for it. I'll shoot a PM to John, our vBull guru. :)

Lethal said:
Sounds like a good idea to me, but I've had a look through the vBulletin control panel and don't see any options for it. I'll shoot a PM to John, our vBull guru. :)
thank you very very much! :D

Lethal said:
Don't bother; there is a simple hack available at vbulletin.org.

Its simple to install, and will take kyle 5 minutes to do. No sense in paying for unneeded tech support.

M11 said:

Its simple to install, and will take kyle 5 minutes to do. No sense in paying for unneeded tech support.
cool, really hope this comes into action, will save all those on 56k a lot of grief.

Zxcs said:
cool, really hope this comes into action, will save all those on 56k a lot of grief.

Uh, dude...1 or 100, if its the same image, its only loading once. He the connection isn't going to download the same image 100 times.

Komataguri said:
Uh, dude...1 or 100, if its the same image, its only loading once. He the connection isn't going to download the same image 100 times.
I just saw a guy who quoted about 10 pics on the "new pics of your rig thread" and its the first post on the page. Bandwidth hell for 19 posts (or more/less depending on your preferences) :D

three cheers. It'd be ideal if there was a way to make the quoter type at least 10% as much text as the quote.. but this img thing is a nice start.

I don't really like it because you have to take the time to look and see what image is being quoted.
But in some threads it would be helpful when the same image is quoted 20 times.

Don't care either way I guess.

I agree, this would be a GREAT addition, im one of those people who even take the time to remove images or cut out all extra stuff from a quote to cut down on thread size, so this makes what i do easier :D

EnderW said:
I don't really like it because you have to take the time to look and see what image is being quoted.
Not a big deal, I would use the "Preview Post" feature and click on the quoted URLs (in the preview box) to confirm that only relevant images are included on my reply. If it's absolutely essential that the original image be shown instead of a link, I could always manually change the URL tag to an IMG tag. :)

No payment needed, John is our staff vBull Admin who works at Jelsoft Enterprises and helps us our with some our our quirky problems. I too think it is an excellent suggestion, nothing more aggravating than wading through a stack of images to get to the answer. Hopefully, this may happen. :cool:

M11 said:

Good idea, but have the img tags replaced with linked url tags, so you can see what image they are quoting. Just for convenience's sake.

lorcani said:
Good idea, but have the img tags replaced with linked url tags, so you can see what image they are quoting. Just for convenience's sake.
I'm all for this idea, as long as it is implemented in this way.

CJMRDC said:
The replacement to url tags sounds like a great idea, it's definately got my vote :)

That would be great....(replaceing IMG with the URL..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back