• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

IDE to SATA adaptors

Stonejaw

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 15, 2003
Messages
95
Hey guys I am getting a new motherboard that only supports SATA Raid and since I already own two 40GB hard drives that are IDE and I currently run in Raid 0 I would like to continue to do so without buying new drives. I have seen mabey online resellers selling IDE to SATA adaptors. I was wondering if anyone has used these with any sucsess because I read somewhere a while ago that they sometimes dont work with some Mobo's. But I am planning on getting the new Abit AG8. Any info? Thanks guys
 
I have used one with 0 problems. My NF7-S came with an adaptor, not sure if the AG8 does or not. I stopped using it simply because I didn't need to, and not to mention the Silicon Image chipset used for SATA isn't supposed to be all that hot performance wise (or so I have read).
 
it'll prolly work, but it may destroy the array. the 2 raid controllers may use a different method of interleaving data, so that would mean when you plug it into your brand new shiny sata raid adapter, all your data goes boom. So i'd just suggest getting new sata drives to go with the mobo. also, raid0 is a ticking time bomb. look around and make sure you understand what you're doing with your data.
 
thats unlikely especially for an onboard RAID controller
Id recommend a Highpoint RocketHead 100
you should have no problems
but as mentioned if your after RAID0 your giving up alot and gaining next to nothing
(actually it will likely hurt you, depends on your accesss pattern)

ATA RAID0 has alot of latency involved so you are not going to see any improvement
outside of loading a game, transfering a large file or doing something like
real time high res video editing, all other accesses will actually suffer

it gets better in SCSI with advanced TCQ
http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=2101
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=771872

and 2nd headline down > Stop The RAID0 Insanity
 
Why dont you get a mobo that supports IDE if you want to use your old drives? Or you can buy a PCI IDE controller card. I would trust that more that those adapters. However I havent used the adapters so I cant say for sure that theyre no good.
 
Back
Top