• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

IDE tape drives and linux ( 2.6.4 kernel )

XOR != OR

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jun 17, 2003
Messages
11,547
Hi folks, I was hoping someone here might have some info they can post on working with IDE tape drives under the 2.6 kernel.

Any help is apprecaited. Thanks!
 
I use a Seagate Travan TapeStor 20 here at work on the 2.4 kernel with no problems. It does my daily backups.

Works under 2.4 it'd work under 2.6.
 
Thanks skillz, I'm using a Sony sdx420c drive. Pretty damn slick little drives.

This is just an update and maybe a help out to those of you that might someday need this. Backups to tape are incredibly easy under linux. Using tar and mt, you can do pretty much anything you need to.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

edit: The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to turn on and off the hardware compression. I've got a drive here that should do 2.6:1 compression ( well, sorta ), but I have no idea how to turn that on.
 
too be honest I havent even looked at mine for over a year... It just runs ( the way backups should be)... If I remember correctly I setup my drive using amanda... Would have to double check though..
 
Back
Top